Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

Post by domhnallj »

wixfjord wrote: https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 3517649920

It's fairly clear Sexton does something. Looks like he drops the knee into Carbery.
Would need another angle to confirm but it does not look good.
I remember seeing that at the time and wondering what Carberry was reacting to. The footage IIRC was from behind the ruck, this new angle leaves me none the wiser (for context I watched this on my laptop so not the best).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The kind of people who still use gifs are the kind of people who can only be trusted with chubbi stumps and rounded scissors.
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Impossible to be sure from that footage - based on the mood Sexton was in and the recipient it's quite possible it was unpleasant....but.......it could have been accidental too. If that is the only footage not much else to say on it......Linesman is very close to it for a deliberate stamp to go un-noticed.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Only JLowe cited from the whole sordid affair.

KneeInTheBollixGate goes unnoticed
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hopefully James leaves the chocolate hobnobs untouched and brings a few Ferrari roches himself
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dexter wrote:Can't see anything "damning" at all...the touch judge is about a foot away looking straight at them.
+1
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Well, if you were wondering what the Leinster lads thought of Judas Joey throwing a decade of time and hundreds of thousands of euro spent on his rugby development back in Leinsters face, you certainly know now. Joey was brutally manhandled by Sexton all night, judo throws, in his ear all night, off the ball incidents...I hope there's an established precedent - we can't control what the IRFU do, but once you go behind Leinsters back, cut them out of the loop and join another province without even talking to them and showing no appreciation for the investment made and where they got you, you should rightly be ostracized, his mates in the group should be encouraged to cut all ties with him and you become a target on the field who can never, ever come back.

Cult mentality, harsher than Mormons.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote:Well, if you were wondering what the Leinster lads thought of Judas Joey throwing a decade of time and hundreds of thousands of euro spent on his rugby development back in Leinsters face, you certainly know now. Joey was brutally manhandled by Sexton all night, judo throws, in his ear all night, off the ball incidents...I hope there's an established precedent - we can't control what the IRFU do, but once you go behind Leinsters back, cut them out of the loop and join another province without even talking to them and showing no appreciation for the investment made and where they got you, you should rightly be ostracized, his mates in the group should be encouraged to cut all ties with him and you become a target on the field who can never, ever come back.

COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Missed the last line I take it? Thanks for the throwback to 2003 by the way! I always say, memes are the highest form of wit!
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote:Missed the last line I take it? Thanks for the throwback to 2003 by the way! I always say, memes are the highest form of wit!
No unfortunately I took it all in!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

tomthefan wrote:This thread is a pure howl, not even Sexton took it this badly. :D
Agreed, possibly more entertaining than the match, but as with the match I'm watching it unfold between my fingers.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

Post by artaneboy »

Finally sat down to rewatch the match this evening. A couple of additional points are prompted:
1. Murphy did get most of the big decisions correct- Murray neck high on Larmour excepted. But we were definitely on the wrong side of a few other calls. Conway should have been carded for his dragging down of Fardy; Healy should got a penalty for his jackling when the ref decided that VdeF’s irrelevant presence in that ruck merited one for them; his call when they managed to kick the ball out of their own ruck on offside on Josh (again?) was ridiculous. Carbery kicked those two penalties.
2. Our discipline was shocking- but inaccuracies rather than tactical intent was the cause.
3. Minor point- really pissed off to hear Toland trot out that old canard on Mike Bent not being a renowned scrummager. This against Kilcoyne! He did well in that scrum- and better on the re-set, could have had a penalty as Kilcoyne did his usual origami folding impression. Not a word said by Tolland. When are supposed experts going to start actually paying attention to what is actually happening on the pitch and track players continuing development. Bent is a much better scrummager now than he was when he first arrived- has been for years too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on January 2nd, 2019, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Carbery loves playing flat, but he gets caught out of he's under enough pressure that he can barely catch-pass. Defenders can risk a bit of disconnect if they are fast enough.

I remember last year during his last start how often he'd take a step or two before passing, even when all he was doing was taking away space.

Teams have started to target him there when they have a chance.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

artaneboy wrote:Finally sat down to rewatch the match this evening. A couple of additional points are prompted:
1. Murphy did get most of the big decisions correct- Murray neck high on Larmour excepted. But we were definitely on the wrong side of a few other calls. Conway should have been carded for his dragging down of Fardy; Healy should got a penalty for his jacking when the ref decided that VdeF’s irrelevant presence in that ruck merited one for them; his call when they managed to kick the ball out of their own ruck on offside on Josh (again?) was ridiculous. Carbery kicked those two penalties.
2. Our discipline was shocking- but inaccuracies rather than tactical intent was the cause.
3. Minor point- really pissed off to hear Toland trot out that old canard on Mike Bent not being a renowned scrummager. This against Kilcoyne! He did well in that scrum- and better on the re-set, could have had a penalty as Kilcoyne did his usual origami folding impression. Not a word said by Tolland. When are supposed experts going to start actually paying attention to what is actually happening on the pitch and track players continuing development. Bent is a much better scrummager now than he was when he first arrived- has been for years too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at the match in Thomand Park and my impression was in line with your comments. The ref did get the main calls correct but he seemed to miss many Munster infringements. This was mainly due to home advantage, which, in fairness, benefits Leinster when we play in the RDS. The media seem to be portraying the game as a complete meltdown of Leinster discipline but I think that the Furlong and Lowe infringements, while very serious, were unintentional.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

wixfjord wrote:
COYBIB wrote:Well, if you were wondering what the Leinster lads thought of Judas Joey throwing a decade of time and hundreds of thousands of euro spent on his rugby development back in Leinsters face, you certainly know now. Joey was brutally manhandled by Sexton all night, judo throws, in his ear all night, off the ball incidents...I hope there's an established precedent - we can't control what the IRFU do, but once you go behind Leinsters back, cut them out of the loop and join another province without even talking to them and showing no appreciation for the investment made and where they got you, you should rightly be ostracized, his mates in the group should be encouraged to cut all ties with him and you become a target on the field who can never, ever come back.

Are you not being a little bit harsh? None of us know what pressure Joey was put under by the IRFU to move province and the IRFU are the ultimate boss over all the provinces.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Are you not being a little bit harsh? None of us know what pressure Joey was put under by the IRFU to move province and the IRFU are the ultimate boss over all the provinces.
Simply a case of number one "making it so" surely.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

after all they won ... a mid-season league game. At home.
Against 14 players.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

I wonder is the reason for Leinster really poor discipline down to the fact that the Leinster Branch have no professional refs in its ranks and to be readily available to take training sessions with the teams. John Lacey does that with Munster.

Now that I think of it, why is Leinster so poor at developing referees? Six of the 7 pro refs are Munster Branch refs. The seventh is from Ulster. Maybe the Leinster Branch could get the finger out :wink:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

janeymac08 wrote:I wonder is the reason for Leinster really poor discipline down to the fact that the Leinster Branch have no professional refs in its ranks and to be readily available to take training sessions with the teams. John Lacey does that with Munster.

Now that I think of it, why is Leinster so poor at developing referees? Six of the 7 pro refs are Munster Branch refs. The seventh is from Ulster. Maybe the Leinster Branch could get the finger out :wink:
You'd only poach them from us.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

wixfjord wrote:
COYBIB wrote:Missed the last line I take it? Thanks for the throwback to 2003 by the way! I always say, memes are the highest form of wit!
No unfortunately I took it all in!
The only downside to your permanent ban from other rugby board sites, eh? ;)