Leinster v Toulouse

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Toulouse

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

tomthefan wrote:Neil Francis writes in his usual entertaining style today in the indo.
I think he sums up Leinster pretty well this season, reckons Leinster will need to play at a level on Saturday that they have maybe only reached once this season.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 98164.html

Worth a read. Toulouse knew they would be starved of possession and had no choice but to play an high-risk off-loading game. Stats from here says it all: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/counter- ... r-leinster

When we were 21-27 up with ten to go....and clearly going for the BP...they got a break with the intercept and took it well to win by a point. Fair play to them. Some days those 50/50 or hail mary offloads come off for you...some days they don't and I think if we stick to the way we played away...and reduce the turnovers....we will come away with a win. I'm not saying they were lucky in the first game..far from it...but I do think we have a more solid and reliable game plan.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We do, but we're also potentially down four big players and Dupont is a big plus for them from the first game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Franno had a good question in his article; Have Leinster become easy to read?

Maybe..
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

mildlyinterested wrote:Franno had a good question in his article; Have Leinster become easy to read?

Maybe..
Same question can be asked about Franno -- different answer
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

olaf the fat wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Franno had a good question in his article; Have Leinster become easy to read?

Maybe..
Same question can be asked about Franno -- different answer
Just because Franno asks the question, doesn't mean it's not valid.

distinct lack of offloading this season, or is it just me?

1st team attack hasn't been exactly stellar.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:We do, but we're also potentially down four big players and Dupont is a big plus for them from the first game.
Dupont and Mermoz.
Makes them much more structured.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

I expect that the game will be kept very tight and forwards oriented by leinster. With Toners absence I am worried about our lineout.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Yep, we do seem to be misfiring at some level - playing well but not good, while the potential to be great is simmering under the surface.

Apart from the usual things (getting a lineout to the screw at a key time, but only to dick the line out), in 2 key games - Toulouse and Munster, we put them under pressure with power plays which would usually finish in scores but get hit with an intercept. Then again if it was not for our intercept in Bath the narrative could be so different.

whatever it is - it seems like this weekend will prove a lot.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:

We've scored the most tries of anyone in Europe. 3 more than Racing and 5 more than Sarries.

We've scored the most tries of anyone in the the Pro14. 11 more than Munster and 16 more than Glasgow

I don't think there is really a problem with the attack as the tries are getting scored.

We've only failed to get a TBP in 5 games out of 17 this season
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

We've scored the most tries of anyone in Europe. 3 more than Racing and 5 more than Sarries.

We've scored the most tries of anyone in the the Pro14. 11 more than Munster and 16 more than Glasgow

I don't think there is really a problem with the attack as the tries are getting scored.

We've only failed to get a TBP in 5 games out of 17 this season
Taking advantage of a poor Wasps side.

I'd be interested in how we scored our tries against top tier competition.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

olaf the fat wrote:Yep, we do seem to be misfiring at some level - playing well but not good, while the potential to be great is simmering under the surface.

Apart from the usual things (getting a lineout to the screw at a key time, but only to dick the line out), in 2 key games - Toulouse and Munster, we put them under pressure with power plays which would usually finish in scores but get hit with an intercept. Then again if it was not for our intercept in Bath the narrative could be so different.

This has happened in previous successful seasons. We don't want to peak too early (as the actress said to the bishop). I have faith that, even if we lose this weekend, the squad is being primed to peak in April/May.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

joooooe wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Yep, we do seem to be misfiring at some level - playing well but not good, while the potential to be great is simmering under the surface.

This has happened in previous successful seasons. We don't want to peak too early (as the actress said to the bishop). I have faith that, even if we lose this weekend, the squad is being primed to peak in April/May.
primed to peak during the 6 nations more like, anything else is a bonus for Leinster.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

joooooe wrote:

More likely March/April for Ireland especially with the RWC in mind. Not sure there's any way of proving that but our player management was quite different this season prior to the AIs.
Doesn't mean we can't reach the HEC playoffs but they may not be given the same priority as usual.
Lancaster's reference to the decision regarding Henshaw's fitness being not just a Leinster decision is telling.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Enormous game and I expect the best performance of the season but more worried about next week. Even without Sexton, I think we will win this by 10 points.

Away form is a bit off.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

suisse wrote:Enormous game and I expect the best performance of the season but more worried about next week. Even without Sexton, I think we will win this by 10 points.

Away form is a bit off.

Hmm a beaten docket Wasps in a stadium where we could have 50/50 fans doesn't worry me nearly as much as a full strength Toulouse who are gunning for a win?

We'll likely have Toner, Sexton, Lowe and Henshaw back next week too.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Toulouse are obviously much better and the challenge is bigger. As I said, I expect Leinster to produce their best 80 mins of the season and beat them by 10 points. I reckon we'll really wear Toulouse down up front, winning all the early collisions. A few bombs for Johnny Ramos and the back 3. We won't let them settle and eventually pull clear in the final quarter. It's then backing it up in the Ricoh that I have some concerns about, especially if we produce a slow start.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We will have it all to do to win this. Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw and Toner, are among the elite of world rugby. Byrne is an extremely limited player and replacements are not as good as Lowe or Henshaw. Toner will be missed for lineout ability. If we survive this then I can see nothing else stopping us in the HEC. Let’s hope our pack can pull us through.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

So the team... Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Ryan, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, Larmour, O'Loughlin, Riongrose, Adam Byrne, Kearney
Bench: Tracey, McGrath, Porter, Moloney, Leavy (if he passes late fitness test), JGP, Marsh, Henshaw (if he passes late fitness test)
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I reckon we might need halfbacks and doubt Marsh will make it back in time but like it apart from that.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

:D :D
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I reckon we might need halfbacks and doubt Marsh will make it back in time but like it apart from that.