Leinster v Toulouse

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Toulouse

Post by riocard911 »

In light of our injury situation I reckon that 23 is the optimum selection. Delighted to see AB & DK starting on the European stage again. Also delighted for Deegan and CO'B making the bench. AN LAIGHEAN ABÚ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

1-8 looks strong but I would be worried about defensive capabilities of back three and their replacements don't inspire confidence.
We have been very unlucky to have such important players missing in the backline.
I still believe that we are good enough to beat anyone at the RDS.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Big call on Reid over Frawley but understandable given experience levels and it's a must-win H-Cup match...and yet Reider hasn't played 10 of late

Byrne over Dooley interesting.

A very young 15 with lots of young guns on the bench that I think will have a very positive impact when called upon - their time to shine.
Last edited by backrower8 on January 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

can't see us winning this, huge losses from first XV and bench.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The fact that we lost the first leg, and now have so many injuries is unfortunate.....But, added to the fact that Toulouse have been going well, the positive is that this has made tomorrows game the biggest group game in the RDS in a very long time. It has ramped up the tension and hopefully this is reflected in a hopping atmosphere. We will still have a very good team out on the pitch tomorrow.
Dont Panic!
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Toulouse coming locked & fully loaded. 6-2 split on their bench too.
Toulouse team:
Medard
Kolbe Guitoune N’Tamack Huget
DuPont Ramos

Castets Marchand Faumuina
Tesori Arnold
Cros Elstadt Kaino

SUBS:
Mauvaka Baille Aldegheri Faasalele Madaule Placines Bezy Holmes
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

blaker wrote:We are likely without Toner.
Possibly without Leavy.
And deffo without Lowe, sexton, henshaw, Kearney.
I have no earthly idea why people are confident going into ‘tis. Not to say we won’t win but talk of 10 pt margins and BPs is mad
Couldn't agree more - I am s*itting myself with nerves.....Jesus we are shorn of a lot of talent and experience.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

rdsblue wrote:Toulouse coming locked & fully loaded. 6-2 split on their bench too.
Toulouse team:
Medard
Kolbe Guitoune N’Tamack Huget
DuPont Ramos

Castets Marchand Faumuina
Tesori Arnold
Cros Elstadt Kaino

SUBS:
Mauvaka Baille Aldegheri Faasalele Madaule Placines Bezy Holmes
Very smart of them to double-down on the pack. They know what's coming. How do our forward subs compare? I would like to think that Porter and Deegan will both bring something special to the arena.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sorry for repeating myself but I don't see many weaknesses in our side, still really strong across the board and assuming the pack steps up then we should be able to dominate possession. I really rate Toulouse but as long we perform we should be fine. DK against Kolbe scares me a bit but we should be able to starve him of ball to a large extent. Really hope DK has a cracker, had a fairly miserable time of it lately and fingers crossed it's his turn for a bit of a renaissance. Huget is a big unit but he's lazy (and a complete thug) so hopefully Adam can catch him out.

The bench obviously isn't as strong as it could be but our forwards all have big engines and I reckon how we approach the start is far more important than needing a boost from the bench. Although as I said during the week it's great that we can call upon JGP for this one, he should be able to provide an impact that we've been lacking.

That positivity is tempered by the fact that I wouldn't want any MORE injuries. Ross Byrne, just for example, going down early would be a big blow. I can see why we've gone with Noel and have been singing his praises all week, but think Frawley should be on the bench, bit risky for my liking.

Still think we'll win but don't have any expectations of a bonus point, a 4-0 would be great.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think people focus way too much on who's missing at times like this. We still have an excellent side and would have been planning without Dev and Sexton for a while now. I know Rob was missed in Toulouse (more than I thought he'd be tbf) but Dev is the one who I think we might miss most tomorrow, even just the pressure he puts on the scrumhalf clearing is immense and would have gone a long way to piling on the pressure.

If ROL has a big game tomorrow then I'd love to see him get back into the Ireland squad. I know it's unlikely at this stage but IMO Addison is the only player who should be ahead of him for that versatile slot for the WC.
Absolutely we should be focusing on the positives.
Sometimes when you look at a team shorn of a few first choice players you say to yourself fook(or words to that effect).
However if you look at this team you think.
Adam Byrne is in a great vein of form maybe still a few ?s about defence but not worried.
ROL may not be Henshaw but he'll be fine.
Ross Byrne, Lancaster is right, vastly improved and still improving and has had a lot of game time this season.
Also his goal kicking stats are coming along nicely.
Larmour not RK for sure but then who is and like Byrne is improving all the time.
DK, only concern is will he last the 80, even 60 minutes would do us.
The pack is good Fardy us different to Toner but no worries.
The loss of Leavy, Toner and Jack impacts more on our bench but it has to be said that the forward replacements on the bench have been in good form and have a lot of game time under their belts, battle hardened.
All of them will be out to prove points.
Our bench backs are are main area of weakness and even at that it has to be said that Reid has been in fine form, if it's close and we're behind in the last quarter he's the sort of player who can create something.
Where Reid is the rapier, COB is the bartering ram.
Always nice to have different options.
Toulouse won't be sleeping easy tonight and I suppose neither will we.
C'mon Leinster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:4-0 would be great.
It's 5 points for a try now.

Yes, I know what you meant 8)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
backrower8 wrote:Prediction: Ryan and Ringrose to hit new personal performance highs (PBs) for Leinster along with Furlong. For that to be enough, we need Luke and Ross Byrne to play to their full potential. Play for position. Apply RDS pressure (16th man/woman&child) and develop scoreboard momentum with some 3-pointers and lineout-maul scores. Then control the ball and total concentration in D. 4 points not 5. But a W nonetheless.
I'll but that!

Where do I sign up :D
Paddy Power 8)

Ringer and Ryan are being looked to step up and lead more than ever as the world class players they are and given the loss of more senior colleagues in the backline, 2nd row & line-out. Turbo-Tadhg too but he has been a leader for a while now.

18 mins and counting!!
Ryan will be pack leader or at least calling the lineouts.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

reckon we're down 11 significant players - including 9 experienced internationals, 5 of whom are Lions.
Can only think of one team in Europe that could expect to beat Toulouse in these circumstances.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschool wrote:Ryan will be pack leader or at least calling the lineouts.
Ruddock is Captain and so will be PL...but Ryan definitely to call the lineouts...still a significant step up in responsibility for him. Doing it at Junior RWC Final level is one thing. This is another few levels up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not going to comment on the negatives, but one positive is it’s lovely and nostalgic to have a big French team coming to town with us as possible underdogs and needing a big backs to the wall performance.
Someone should show the team the performance against Clermont in the QF back in the day or the defeat of Toulouse in 2008 to gee them up.

I think the way we can win is through the pack keeping the ball for as long as possible and springing the likes of Byrne, Porter, Molony, Deegan and JGP with half an hour to go to turn up the tempo on them.
Their conditioning isn’t bad, but there are LOT of big heavy forwards in there and benching who might not like to be moved around too much late in the game.

If we win this, it will be some boost to the squad morale I’d say and put us onto a plan we haven’t hit this season.

I absolutely cannot wait!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Not ideal (Toner is a massive loss, along with Lowe and Sexton) but we will still win this - that pack is knarly and Ruddock is gonna have a massive game !! Conan to come to the party too and Ryan will be massive as always. VDF gonna lead the tackling stats.

Huge chance for Ross Byrne to show that he's actually the second best out half in Ireland and Adam Byrne step up time and wait for Ross cross field kicks. Dave Kearney welcome back to the big time !!

If we win tomorrow we are in a great position for Star 5 - and with Sexton, Lowe, Kearney, Toner, Henshaw, Leavy, McGrath all to come back in, maybe even SOB no one will want to play us.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

And, just in time for the 6 Nations, the periodic Sean O'Brien fit for Ireland claxon:
https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/ ... 7714121728
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Blueberry wrote:Not ideal (Toner is a massive loss, along with Lowe and Sexton) but we will still win this - that pack is knarly and Ruddock is gonna have a massive game !! Conan to come to the party too and Ryan will be massive as always. VDF gonna lead the tackling stats.

Huge chance for Ross Byrne to show that he's actually the second best out half in Ireland and Adam Byrne step up time and wait for Ross cross field kicks. Dave Kearney welcome back to the big time !!

If we win tomorrow we are in a great position for Star 5 - and with Sexton, Lowe, Kearney, Toner, Henshaw, Leavy, McGrath all to come back in, maybe even SOB no one will want to play us.

When we win tomorrow!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:

If we win this, it will be some boost to the squad morale I’d say and put us onto a plan we haven’t hit this season.
I know we've both had reservations about some of the performances this season but yeah I don't really care about laying down a marker now, just getting the win will be great. Although I don't see it as being as big a challenge as you do, certainly wouldn't even contemplate us being underdogs.

I'm actually excited about what the pack might do tomorrow, they should be well able to implement an Ireland style game of just going through the phases and if they do then we're in business.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:And, just in time for the 6 Nations, the periodic Sean O'Brien fit for Ireland claxon:
https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/ ... 7714121728
It would be madness to have him in the Ireland squad IMO.

Sounds like Johnny is already ruled out of next week then. Massive opportunity for Ross Byrne. I know he can't overtake Johnny any time soon but he could be playing for a WC place at least, or it could be a shootout of sorts between himself and Joey for the 6N bench spot over the next week. I don't actually believe Joe will see it that way, but it's how I'd approach it myself.