Leinster v Toulouse

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Toulouse

Post by Dexter »

This is what Ryan Bailey (42.ie) says:
JOHNNY SEXTON HAS not trained since sustaining a lower leg injury during Leinster’s inter-pro defeat to Munster two weekends ago and is now a major injury doubt for Saturday’s must-win clash against Toulouse.
The Ireland out-half sustained the problem at Thomond Park and is now rated as ’50/50′ for this weekend’s crucial Heineken Champions Cup Pool 1 encounter against the French side [KO 1pm, Virgin Media/Channel 4/BT Sport].
This is what he reports Lancaster as saying:
“We’ve got one or two niggles,” Stuart Lancaster said at UCD this afternoon.
“Jack, obviously, he’s come back, so we’re delighted he’s come back but he’s not going to train today because we’re just managing him back. Johnny’s got a bit of a niggle. As has Dev.
So, we’re going to wait and see how they progress over the next 24 hours as well. So, it’s one of those weeks where we just have to so see how the next 24 hours plays out before we nail down selection and things will move into Thursday and Friday, we’ll be certain by then.
Pressed on Sexton’s chances of being fit for Toulouse, the Leinster senior coach added: “It’s hard to say. We haven’t trained today yet and we don’t know how tomorrow is going to play out. But, if Dev is out then we got James Ryan, Scott Fardy etc etc. So there’s plenty of options so we’ll see.”
This is what Lancaster says about Henshaw:
“If he’s fit and 100% ready to go, there’s no worry about him being up to speed,” Lancaster continued.
“He will need to come through all the markers before we are certain of his involvement, and whether that will be from the bench or in the starting XV.
“It’s huge for Ireland a well. This will not just be a Leinster decision, it’s an Ireland decision and he has to hit markers in conjunction with both, it would be foolish to do otherwise.
“We still have to see how he is in 24 hours. I’d say it’s 50/50 at the moment. We would like to consider him but we also don’t want to be foolish and rush it.”
So Henshaw seems to be one who's 50:50. There's no probability quoted for Sexton.

Just to get the facts straight...like.
Last edited by Dexter on January 7th, 2019, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dont Panic!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Toner out too would be a massive hit although is does make backrow selection easier.................
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blueberry wrote:Not ideal if J10 doesn't start but it's not the end of the world - Ross B has been doing well and his cross field kicking is the best of any out-half I've ever seen - stick Adam Byrne out there and use it as a serious weapon of attack. It's very disorientating for defences if they are constantly looking for it and it opens space midfield.

A big loss but not a show stopper.

Have a feeling we will get on top in the pack especially as they tire and if our set-piece is solid we should be fine. A slow start killed us in Toulouse, can't see it happening again.
Where's Joey? Is he unavailable for this one too?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:they will go full bore, no doubt about that.
Yeah there's a 1st/2nd seed spot up for grabs.
If they win this one, you'd fancy them to go all the way.
Ditto Leinster btw.
Only way there is a 1st or 2nd seed place up for grabs is if Saracens or Racing lose a game. That's not looking likely.

To top the group Leinster need just 2 wins. The first one by at least 2 points without Toulouse scoring 4 tries
I didn't want to get into the permutations more pointing out that both teams need to win both games and then hope one of the other two slip up.
Even at that an away S/F to either of the first two seeds is preferable to an away Q/F.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dexter wrote:This is what Ryan Bailey (42.ie) says:
JOHNNY SEXTON HAS not trained since sustaining a lower leg injury during Leinster’s inter-pro defeat to Munster two weekends ago and is now a major injury doubt for Saturday’s must-win clash against Toulouse.
The Ireland out-half sustained the problem at Thomond Park and is now rated as ’50/50′ for this weekend’s crucial Heineken Champions Cup Pool 1 encounter against the French side [KO 1pm, Virgin Media/Channel 4/BT Sport].
“Jack, obviously, he’s come back, so we’re delighted he’s come back but he’s not going to train today because we’re just managing him back. Johnny’s got a bit of a niggle. As has Dev.
So, we’re going to wait and see how they progress over the next 24 hours as well. So, it’s one of those weeks where we just have to so see how the next 24 hours plays out before we nail down selection and things will move into Thursday and Friday, we’ll be certain by then.
Pressed on Sexton’s chances of being fit for Toulouse, the Leinster senior coach added: “It’s hard to say. We haven’t trained today yet and we don’t know how tomorrow is going to play out. But, if Dev is out then we got James Ryan, Scott Fardy etc etc. So there’s plenty of options so we’ll see.”
“If he’s fit and 100% ready to go, there’s no worry about him being up to speed,” Lancaster continued.
“He will need to come through all the markers before we are certain of his involvement, and whether that will be from the bench or in the starting XV.
“It’s huge for Ireland a well. This will not just be a Leinster decision, it’s an Ireland decision and he has to hit markers in conjunction with both, it would be foolish to do otherwise.
“We still have to see how he is in 24 hours. I’d say it’s 50/50 at the moment. We would like to consider him but we also don’t want to be foolish and rush it.”
So Henshaw seems to be one who's 50:50. There's no probability quoted for Sexton.

To get the facts even straighter. Lancaster describes Sexton, Dev and Henshaw as being 50:50:
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-r ... -toulouse/ (2:29).
That said. In the same sentence he says he doesn't think he's a real doubt.
Smoke and daggers. Some journos jumped on it. Others, like David Kelly, didn't.

One thing I noticed is that he talked about the alternatives to Henshaw and Dev, but not to Sexton.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I didn't read any of the articles so maybe it was pure speculation but it's interesting that COB was rumoured to be added to the European squad given that Henshaw is going to be back soon. Am I right in saying we have a spot to use up this week that we can't carry over to the QFs? Could be wrong but thought fewer changes could be made between the group stages and the QFs. Daly is probably the other obvious one to add but think I'd go with COB.

Henshaw being back would obviously change the backline I suggested earlier. It'll be interesting to see who misses out if he does, I'd like the option of adding Noel's passing game late on but not sure if there's much point given that the centres would probably go for the full 80.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Henshaw being back would obviously change the backline I suggested earlier. It'll be interesting to see who misses out if he does, I'd like the option of adding Noel's passing game late on but not sure if there's much point given that the centres would probably go for the full 80.
In the unlikely event Henshaw starts, ROL left wing and Larmour right I suppose.
My reading of the presser is that it will be the proverbial 'week too soon', certainly for the IRFU.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:

To get the facts even straighter. Lancaster describes Sexton, Dev and Henshaw as being 50:50:

One thing I noticed is that he talked about the alternatives to Henshaw and Dev, but not to Sexton.
Toner of the three is the one I'd least like to lose.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

My guess for tomorrow's Euro squad change possibilities is Welsh Newspaper in for Joe Tomane
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really interesting from Lancaster to say that Ross Byrne has been 'probably the most improved player we've had over the last 12 months', particularly when you think of who would be in contention for that accolade!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

curates_egg wrote:

Yeah saw that when I actually looked at the interview on youtube.. should have done that first! :)
Dont Panic!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

wixfjord wrote:Really interesting from Lancaster to say that Ross Byrne has been 'probably the most improved player we've had over the last 12 months', particularly when you think of who would be in contention for that accolade!
RB's performances against Munster and Montpellier last season were something special, he is a highly underrated player.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

outcast eddie wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Really interesting from Lancaster to say that Ross Byrne has been 'probably the most improved player we've had over the last 12 months', particularly when you think of who would be in contention for that accolade!
RB's performances against Munster and Montpellier last season were something special, he is a highly underrated player.
I wonder how he gets on with Johnny?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

tomthefan wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
I wonder how he gets on with Johnny?
Another one for Van Grab to get his teeth into, Munster need at least half a dozen 10's on their books
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RB being an unused sub against Ulster makes a bit more sense if Sexton isn’t 100%.

He’s a different player to when he first broke through.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

no sign of Leavy at Leinster training.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

"Toner of the three is the one I'd least like to lose" Oldschool commented and I'd agree but Toulouse may have their problems at lock too. Tekori seemed to have a knock when he came off in the 55th min against Agen. He was replaced by Fa'asalele who had only been called in at the last minute when Galan (who was to have been 2nd row bench cover) cried off.
Also, Toulouse only fully rested DuPont, Holmes & Kolbe all the other front liners either started or came on. Their 1st choice front row Pointud, Marchand & Faumuina all came on together at 51mins in what turned out to be a tough physical match with Agen.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Conor O'Brien added to Euro squad, Tomane de-registered
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's interesting, no Daly so.

I don't mean to kick a guy while he's down and I know injuries have played a part but it really looks like we didn't need Tomane. Maybe ROL's appearances at 12 came too late last season, or maybe COB wasn't expected to develop so quickly, but I just can't see where he fits in now, and I was never sure about him being a centre anyway. I'd say he's had a fairly miserable time all things considered, maybe a Kane Douglas style move before the WC might suit everyone.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Yes can't see where Tomane fits in at the moment, have to agree, easy in hindsight always but with Reid playing well this year, ROL and COB coming on nicely it's hard to see a need.

Still we have recruited well recently, Fardy, Lowe and JGP so it's not always going to work out. Sign that our own production line is in rude health as Tomane is a good player and would happily slot into many a side and make a solid contribution.