Wasps v Leinster, Jan 20th - 3:15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Wasps v Leinster, Jan 20th - 3:15pm

Post by Oldschool »

enby wrote:Lowe learning the hard way that getting yourself red carded is not a good move in this squad. Will be interesting to see Jack McGrath's form on his return. Surprised Joe is letting Tadhg start
Well yes and no.
With McGrath out he was likely to be the loser.
Also Byrne and DK earned the right to this.
Glad to see SOB on bench but only want to see him get 15 minute run out.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The idea of a fired up Robbie running at Sopoanga is great, was always a fan of Lima but he really hasn't looked too interested whenever I've seen him recently.

Would love to see DK empty Johnson at some stage too!
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Lions winger Elliot Daly should be a good test for Adam Byrne. Fardy on bench as cover in case Dev injury flares up I reckon. Pretty strong Wasps team in fairness.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think the only way Wasps win this is if they open things up completely. They don't have the pack to go toe to toe with us and they don't have the 7 to attack us on the ground. Hopefully we keep it tight in first 20 and control the ball.

Their centre pairing is a bit weak defensively. Would expect Ringrose and Larmour's footwork to cause them a bit of trouble if we can isolate them.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

sigh ! ... yeah ... hopefully SOB wont pick up another injury playing in 6N ... and we get a few more appearances from him in Blue later on :wink:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Looking forward to seeing JGP in a full strength side too, it's not often he gets that chance really.
Well, it's a full strength pack. We're missing Lowe, Kearney and Sexton!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Looking forward to seeing JGP in a full strength side too, it's not often he gets that chance really.
Well, it's a full strength pack. We're missing Lowe, Kearney and Sexton!
Sorry phrased that badly, it's a big match with the best available side out there, not a league game with a mix and match selection. But now that you mention it, Sexton being out does negate what I said somewhat, would be good to see them together in a game like this.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Nice challenge for Ross Byrne to go toe-to-toe with an All Black 10 in the form of Lima Sopoanga. I'm sure Joe will be watching avidly.....
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

I know the qualification rules are pretty arcane, but can anybody out there explain to me in eejit-proof language how Montpellier can have 9 SA players in their 23 for the Edinburgh game tonight and we have to choose 2 from our overseas trio JGP-Fardy-Lowe
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

brenno wrote:I know the qualification rules are pretty arcane, but can anybody out there explain to me in eejit-proof language how Montpellier can have 9 SA players in their 23 for the Edinburgh game tonight and we have to choose 2 from our overseas trio JGP-Fardy-Lowe
South African players are counted as "European" by virtue of having an association agreement (eg. Free Trade Agreements) with the EU - you cannot restrict the employment options of a "European"

Therefore only nationalities that do not have an association with the EU (Australia, New Zealand for example) can be restricted by saying "Only 2 non-Europeans in a match day 23"

South Africans, and other nationalities that are allowed to play, are known as Kolpaks. It was a man by the name of Kolpak, from Slovakia, that challenged this restriction with the argument that he is allowed to live and work in the EU with their nation's association agreement and restricting him infringes his human rights and is against EU law.

All the countries in the various shades of blue have no restriction in a European rugby team (or any sports team) by virtue of their nationality. Japan will likely join this soon too.

Edit:

That map is out-dated, here is one that is more up to date: link - the nations in blue & dark green
Last edited by harblstuff on January 18th, 2019, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

brenno wrote:I know the qualification rules are pretty arcane, but can anybody out there explain to me in eejit-proof language how Montpellier can have 9 SA players in their 23 for the Edinburgh game tonight and we have to choose 2 from our overseas trio JGP-Fardy-Lowe
Because SA players don't count under that particular law.

It's just NZ or Aus players who don't have islander passports really. That's how Toulouse, Toulon etc get around it because I presume guys like Kaino and Famauiana have Samoan heritage (and also why Isa didn't count).

The Montpellier lineup is a bit mental alright.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

That was the sort of match that makes you glad you're a Leinster fan!

Leinster players, coaches and fans all went into last week's match with some genuine trepidation on the back of the myriad injuries and Toulouse's recent fine form. It was a rare feeling to be going into a home match with a genuine flutter of nerves in the belly but it made for a great atmosphere as the RDS was packed well before kick-off. But Leinster deployed the perfect gameplan battering the Toulouse pack into submission and denying their dangerous backs any decent ball. By the end they had earned a bonus point win and left Toulouse knowing they've still a long way to go before they can be champions.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lowe is not injured and is in Ireland, was pictured training on Monday.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

mildlyinterested wrote:Lowe is not injured and is in Ireland, was pictured training on Monday.
and was in the RDS on saturday but not there the previous week for the Ulster game
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

harblstuff wrote:
South African players are counted as "European" by virtue of having an association agreement (eg. Free Trade Agreements) with the EU - you cannot restrict the employment options of a "European"

Therefore only nationalities that do not have an association with the EU (Australia, New Zealand for example) can be restricted by saying "Only 2 non-Europeans in a match day 23"

South Africans, and other nationalities that are allowed to play, are known as Kolpaks. It was a man by the name of Kolpak, from Slovakia, that challenged this restriction with the argument that he is allowed to live and work in the EU with their nation's association agreement and restricting him infringes his human rights and is against EU law.

All the countries in the various shades of blue have no restriction in a European rugby team (or any sports team) by virtue of their nationality. Japan will likely join this soon too.

Edit:

That map is out-dated, here is one that is more up to date: link - the nations in blue & dark green
Someone should pin your post for whenever this is next asked. Copying the correct map below.

Of course, the UK would become non-Kolpak (and be in a different colour on the map below) in a no deal scenario...but I think that will be on the lower scale of problems.

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
Of course, the UK would become non-Kolpak (and be in a different colour on the map below) in a no deal scenario...but I think that will be on the lower scale of problems.
For England, Wales and Scotland it could be a problem.
For Ireland, how would NI be counted?
The obvious solution would be for them to claim Irish citizen - no problem there I reckon. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschool wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
The obvious solution would be for them to claim Irish citizen - no problem there I reckon. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Under the common travel area arrangement, they could play IN Ireland automatically even if they hadn't already claimed a passport (which I would guess they all have, since it probably makes it easier administratively for the IRFU).
The problem would only be the Heineken Cup, which could not legally exist anyway in a hard Brexit scenario, as I understand it.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Oldschool wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
UK teams (including Ulster - I think) would, post Brexit, be able to play as many "over-seas" player as they want, whilst UK players in Leinster/Munster/Connacht would face the same rules as the Fardy/KPMG/Lowe 3 into 2 dilemma.

But hey, thats only a guess - sure The Brits haven't a clue what it all means and they are the ones hitting the road.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Possibly the Brexit shambles and English rugby's comparative lack of success at European club level can be attributed to the same cause: piss-poor leadership by the twits with a delusional sense of their own superiority. See:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opin ... mpire.html