A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
OTT wrote:I know it probably can't happen the way the cards have fallen but James Lowe would really add something tomorrow. I think back to the Saracens game last year where he was creating stuff all over the place.
If we manage to hold onto Lowe after this contract runs its course it will be a testament to Stuleo, can not imagine that Lowe is in a good place at all.
I really don't see that point of view.

there has been absolutely nothing at all to suggest Lowe is unhappy in Dublin.
He is a pro rugby player with a short career and right now he is missing out on every big match. I'm not saying he is unhappy, but suggesting that he must be frustrated as f%~k?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I think McCloskey can be a lazy fecker in defence, he likes the show reel hit but if we go at him enough I don't think he will stay at it for 80minutes. I think that is way he does not get near the Irish squad. Mocker gods, be gentle!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Peg Leg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: I dread the thought of A Byrne competing with Stockdale for multiple high balls and that's not a slight on Byrne, that Lego fecker only needs to catch one and he's potentially in.
I actually feel the opposite. I think Stockdale is suspect under a defensive high ball and Byrne might be the man to test him aerially.
Yeah, perhaps my point was badly put. I too think Stockdale is either great or shocking depending on the game (but he is consistent in being one or the other for 80mins). My point is, Adam may catch 9 out of 10 and score 0. If Stockdale catches 1, the odds are very high on it being a try at the other end of the pitch. He's a feckin savage, I mean his scoring record is actually disgusting, he's a disgrace to the game with that sort of filth on display so regularly.
I'd sell my granny to have him in my team.
Ah yeah I see what you mean. Albeit with Ross possibly starting I'd be happy enough that he'd put it through the eye of a needle!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: If we manage to hold onto Lowe after this contract runs its course it will be a testament to Stuleo, can not imagine that Lowe is in a good place at all.
I really don't see that point of view.

there has been absolutely nothing at all to suggest Lowe is unhappy in Dublin.
He is a pro rugby player with a short career and right now he is missing out on every big match. I'm not saying he is unhappy, but suggesting that he must be frustrated as f%~k.
I agree with this. He would walk into any of the quarter finalist teams and make more money at a few of them. The saving grace is this nightmare scenario we are in is nearly over.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Why would we want Rob because of Lowry? Burns' kicking game is terrible so don't think the need for Rob is all that great for this one.
Because his ability in the air would cause Lowry problems.
Don't think we've seen much of that from Rob recently and we have plenty of other excellent chasers so don't think it's that big a deal. Ross Byrne also doesn't tend to target fullbacks like Sexton does, usually goes for the wingers.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote: He is a pro rugby player with a short career and right now he is missing out on every big match. I'm not saying he is unhappy, but suggesting that he must be frustrated as f%~k.
100% agree with you but at least he knows that it'll be different next season, and if he ends up starting a semi and final (although I'm really not very confident of getting to another final) then you'd imagine that would make up for it. If we do make a semi and have Dev back and Luke fitter then I'd be hopeful Lowe would get the nod.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I have the usual prematch nerves about this game. Nothing like a Heineken Cup week to stir up the jitters....
This team have been through the ringer so often that eventually father time will catch up with them.
Johnny,Rob, Dev, Cian ,Seanie, Sean Cronin, DK have all been great servants and on their day they are a match for anyone. Between injuries and poor form I do worry that , perhaps not against Ulster in the Aviva but maybe in a semi final away in France, this particular squad may come up a little short.
This is a huge chance for the younger brigade of Jordan, Ringer, James Ryan, Furlong, Luke, Leavy, all of the Byrnes etc to keep the team at the heights we have enjoyed for the last ten years.
Just like when Bod, Darce, Hickie, Girvan, Mal, Shane etc retired I will greatly miss the current senior players when they step aside.
Ah lads I'm in bits...kick it off already....
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ulster team and replacements to play Leinster, Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final, Aviva Stadium, Saturday 30th March (5.45pm):
(15-9): M Lowry; R Baloucoune, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Burns, J Cooney;
(1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), M Moore, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, W Herbst, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, L Marshall, A Kernohan.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Expected Henderson back but himself and Cave in particular haven't had a great run of games recently.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

bronxbull wrote:Expected Henderson back but himself and Cave in particular haven't had a great run of games recently.
rumour is henderson is very 50/50 and could fail warm up tomorrow.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If Hendo starts that's a solid enough Ulster side. Bench doesn't look too bad either.

Timoney could be an area of weakness imo. Can struggle in the physical parts of the game.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

bronxbull wrote:Expected Henderson back but himself and Cave in particular haven't had a great run of games recently.
I quite like Cave but he really is very slow these days. Burns is a liability in defence so if we get a lot of possession McCloskey is going to be fighting fires all over the place, and it's not like he's a top class defender himself. Luke Marshall hasn't played for the guts of a year I think? That could get ugly for Ulster tbh.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sexton out.

Rob K on bench.

Team as expected.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

15. Jordan Larmour (33)
14. Adam Byrne (50)
13. Garry Ringrose (60)
12. Rory O’Loughlin (58)
11. Dave Kearney (132)
10. Ross Byrne (65)
9. Luke McGrath (107)
1. Cian Healy (202)
2. Seán Cronin (167)
3. Tadhg Furlong (96)
4. Scott Fardy (38)
5. James Ryan (26)
6. Rhys Ruddock (157) CAPTAIN
7. Seán O’Brien (122)
8. Jack Conan (84)

16. James Tracy (87)
17. Ed Byrne (39)
18. Andrew Porter (49)
19. Mick Kearney (49)
20. Dan Leavy (62)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (68)
22. Noel Reid (118)
23. Rob Kearney (205)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

should be enough if we show up focused.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:Sexton out.

Rob K on bench.

Team as expected.
I can only imagine they see something in the Ulster side that JL can exploit from fullback
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Same first XV as the last home game v Toulouse, with the exception of SOB for JVDF. Bench very similar too.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

More brute force than speed in back row but delighted to see Leavy on bench to come on around 55-60 mins.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't really get that selection tbh. If Luke was going to start then I don't see why we wouldn't go for Lowe. Don't see why Rob is on the bench, just don't think we'll need him to provide stability and he only covers one position. Already said this about SOB but disagree with that too, but can see that we probably decided on the team last week before Leavy played so can see the logic to an extent.

I doubt the Jack call is purely form but if that's the way the coaches see him now then fair enough, it's not like his form means it's a nose/spite situation.

Delighted for Noel that he makes it into the squad, really deserves it.

Also delighted for Adam and DK. I've mentioned this before but I felt really sorry for them when they were playing with the A team at the start of the season but was seriously impressed with their attitudes, they worked really really hard and clearly took on leadership roles. DK has obviously had loads of injuries and Adam has picked some up at bad times too, so absolutely delighted for them that they get to start in such a big game tomorrow and hope they go really well.

Mick Kearney is the same, he's been really good recently and deserves his place tomorrow regardless of it being because of injuries.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Should be daly instead of rob on bench. Rob can't cover more than one position and can't change the pace of the game of he comes on.