Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blueberry
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by Blueberry »

Let's pray Luke stays fit for 80 and then we'll be okay, no slight on HOS but it's a huge ask for him to come on early.

JLO is a major benefit and for me gives us the edge now in the backs, if that backline can click we can do this. I have no doubt we will wear them down up front and we have the ammo out back.

Interesting calls re the sub props - but in de management we trust - suspect Furlong and Healy are both going to be pushed to their limits of endurance.

Deegan and Fardy will inject some serious pace and intelligence in the last 25 mins or so...........

DIe is cast, bring it on and COME ON LEINSTER...........................................................
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's an interesting Toulouse team. No Ntamack, Dupont at 10, and no Medard. Kaino and Tekori isn't exactly the most mobile back row and combined with Akhi at 12 I think they're just going to try and steamroll us. Not sure that's the best idea tbh, think they could open us up if they play their usual stuff. Still plenty of attacking talent of course and Dupont is a serious threat, but just don't think Guitone et al will see quite as much ball as recent weeks.

Dupont at ten is potentially good for the HOS situation too, although Bezy is good too.

Great to see Max Van Dyk back, I'm sure he'll get a huge ovation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think Leocaster showed their hand last week regarding front row and back three.

I'd say if JGP was fit he'd be benching and Dave would be in.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really can't wait to see Lowe against Huget. I know conventional wisdom is that you keep it tight in a semi and I definitely think we got caught up in the atmosphere/occasion over there in the pool game, but I can already picture Lowe tapping and going when Huget has his back turned.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's an interesting Toulouse team. No Ntamack, Dupont at 10, and no Medard. Kaino and Tekori isn't exactly the most mobile back row and combined with Akhi at 12 I think they're just going to try and steamroll us. Not sure that's the best idea tbh, think they could open us up if they play their usual stuff. Still plenty of attacking talent of course and Dupont is a serious threat, but just don't think Guitone et al will see quite as much ball as recent weeks.

Dupont at ten is potentially good for the HOS situation too, although Bezy is good too.

They're not going to try to steamroll us, they're going to try to stop us steamrolling them again.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote:no Porter, thats disappointing.
He's not injured is he?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Flash Gordon wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:no Porter, thats disappointing.
He's not injured is he?
I hadn’t heard anything, he’s having a poor 2019 in fairness particularly in the scrum. Team as expected with RPG out, Max and Fardo coming off the bench will be immense a huge lift for us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Does anyone know if they do the Captains run today (what with it being a Sunday game)?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

It's another massive game for Leinster at the Aviva stadium as they take on Toulouse looking to make the final for the second year running.

After losing in Toulouse by a point in a thrilling game on a warm and sunny October Sunday, revenge was served cold in January in the RDS. Actually never mind cold, it was bloody freezing as Leinster dominated on their way to a crushing 29-13 win. However the free-spirited Toulouse will find the more open environs of the Aviva Stadium on a warm Easter Sunday a lot more to their liking. Despite that comprehensive defeat their form has still been very good with only Leinster and Toulon beating them in their last 24 games.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Image

A lot of big boys in that pack.

Tekori at 7 the one that stands out.
6 forwards on the bench too.
Ahki at 12 maybe designed to guard against Robbie's power. But he has been playing very well too.

This is going to be some arm wrestle.
That's a f*cking huge pack:

Castets 180cm, 123kg
Mauvaka 184cm, 124kg
Faumuina 185cm, 143 kg
Gray 206cm, 123 kg
Arnold 208cm, 120kg
Elstadt 198cm, 118 kg
Tekori 197cm, 130kg
Kaino 196cm, 105kg

In old money: five players over 6'5" [including two at 6'9" and 6'10", respectively] and 7 players over 18st 7lbs [including one at 23st 7lbs].
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I wonder will their selection change how we play a little. I'd imagine it will still be possession dominated, but might be a little bit wider in approach now given Lowe is in and the opportunity to tire out that pack a bit more.

One thing is for sure, there aren't going to be a lot of clean ruck turnovers from them, and probably not too many from us either, so both sides could have the ball for long periods.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Radio commentary of Leinster v Toulouse on RTÉ Radio 1's Sunday Sport.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Image

A lot of big boys in that pack.

Tekori at 7 the one that stands out.
6 forwards on the bench too.
Ahki at 12 maybe designed to guard against Robbie's power. But he has been playing very well too.

This is going to be some arm wrestle.
That's a f*cking huge pack:

Castets 180cm, 123kg
Mauvaka 184cm, 124kg
Faumuina 185cm, 143 kg
Gray 206cm, 123 kg
Arnold 208cm, 120kg
Elstadt 198cm, 118 kg
Tekori 197cm, 130kg
Kaino 196cm, 105kg

In old money: five players over 6'5" [including two at 6'9" and 6'10", respectively] and 7 players over 18st 7lbs [including one at 23st 7lbs].
In January Toulouse forwards could not sustain high pace and apart from Mauvaka who came on as sub the only difference is Ritchie Gray in the second row. If we hold onto possession and play through the phases we will win this match by a big score even if some players undercooked and missing our 2 best no 7s.

Leinster to win by 24 points.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I expect we will have a comfortable margin. I don’t see why Sean O’Brien plays but other than that we have a really great side playing tomorrow.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:I wonder will their selection change how we play a little. I'd imagine it will still be possession dominated, but might be a little bit wider in approach now given Lowe is in and the opportunity to tire out that pack a bit more.

One thing is for sure, there aren't going to be a lot of clean ruck turnovers from them, and probably not too many from us either, so both sides could have the ball for long periods.
They have three backrowers on the bench in Faaselele [31], Tolofua [21] and Cros [25]. It looks like they're going to try and smash us up front for the first fifty and than change tack and run around for the last half hour.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's an interesting Toulouse team. No Ntamack, Dupont at 10, and no Medard. Kaino and Tekori isn't exactly the most mobile back row and combined with Akhi at 12 I think they're just going to try and steamroll us. Not sure that's the best idea tbh, think they could open us up if they play their usual stuff. Still plenty of attacking talent of course and Dupont is a serious threat, but just don't think Guitone et al will see quite as much ball as recent weeks.

I see Cros, Tolo & Ntamack coming on in the last 30. Ntamak only just started shaving....I reckon they have gone with experience and power to try and keep it physical and tight until the last 30.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:

They're not going to try to steamroll us, they're going to try to stop us steamrolling them again.
Yeah, this. They're going to try and slow down our slowing down of their ball.

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I wonder will their selection change how we play a little. I'd imagine it will still be possession dominated, but might be a little bit wider in approach now given Lowe is in and the opportunity to tire out that pack a bit more.

They have three backrowers on the bench in Faaselele [31], Tolofua [21] and Cros [25]. It looks like they're going to try and smash us up front for the first fifty and than change tack and run around for the last half hour.
It’s not necessarily a bad plan. The yards are there against us if you can grind them out close in. If we can get good possession and move them around the pitch they will fade before us. Kicking game will be important.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JLO keeps them committed to guarding his wing, Henshaw keeps them minding from the pillar out. I can see Ringer having a field day.

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Seeing Lowe on the teamsheet does make me more confident, hope he has a big one after missing out last year. Feel for Adam and Dave missing out and think I'd have had Adam ahead of Larmour, don't think he's been great recently. He's been grand, and he's probably better on the wing right now, but I'd have gone for Adam because of his threat in the air.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Fardy come on at 6.

I'd definitely have gone for Porter because his bulk could have been important against that huge Toulouse pack. He's a great man for a turnover when you're under the pump too.
Maybe we can’t take a risk in the scrums. Bent is solid.

Porter was brilliant, I remember thinking he was getting Furlong good. His form isn’t the same and he’s also been having a reduced minute count. He’s carrying something.

Lowe’s head will drop if he misses too many big games. We’ll lose him, even if Park were fit I’d play Lowe. He’ll be good for us and if this turns into an arm wrestle his ability to fight through tackles to score may be decisive.