Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

Post by wixfjord »

Sounds like we won't be risking anyone in this. I'd say we'll be up against it again given Glasgow's league form.

Could be something like:

Byrne, Tracey, Porter, Toner, Molony/Dunne, Murphy, Deegan, Doris, JGP, Frawley, Lowe, Henshaw, COB, Daly, RK
Dooley, Byrne, Bent, Dunne/Dowling, Penny, HOS, Reid, Tomane

Might need to give JGP a bit of a tune up before Europe or else we may start HOS if he's to bench.

Probably would be good to give the sub front row, Lowe and Deegan time too.
I'd like to see RK start too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What makes you say that we won't risk anyone? I thought all the signs were pointing to us playing a full strength side?

That's certainly what I'd like to see, think we need a really good hit out before next week.
geologyrocks
Beginner

Post by geologyrocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What makes you say that we won't risk anyone? I thought all the signs were pointing to us playing a full strength side?

That's certainly what I'd like to see, think we need a really good hit out before next week.
Yeah, all of the signs to me scream close to full strength side.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I reckon we're going to start this with 14 players and name no openside...
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What makes you say that we won't risk anyone? I thought all the signs were pointing to us playing a full strength side?

In previous 'week before Europe' games we haven't played a full strength side.

Leo seems to hint at this today too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm really curious about the back three selection for this game, think it's probably the biggest question mark for next week.

I'd go with Rob, Lowe, and Adam, with Larmour on the bench. There are lots of different options and they're all really good, but I think that's the way I'd go.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:

In previous 'week before Europe' games we haven't played a full strength side.

Leo seems to hint at this today too.
I heard him say something about it being good prep for next week, didn't hear anything to the contrary. And given what he said about lacking cohesion for the Ulster game and the way we made sure to give the first team a run out together in training in the week after the Welsh game I'd be surprised if we don't go all out.

Either way, no point guessing but I'll be really disappointed if don't take the chance to build some momentum.

If we do rest players then I really hope that SOB and Rob aren't among them, they desperately need games.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

“A lot of guys will come back into the mix next week,” Cullen said.

It’s a fine balance, we want to be ready for the big games in the best possible shape. Our backroom team do unbelievable work to ensure guys are in the best possible shape and you want to be finishing the season strongly, not stumbling your way.
“Certain weeks you need to be able to give guys time off so they can conserve and store up energy for the next big day. Our backroom team are unbelievably good at doing that and I think our guys are in good shape for this time of year and we’re excited about the big games that are coming up.

“The focus is quite narrow for us. It’s a big game next week against Glasgow where it will be important to re-integrate a number of players back in and obviously the week after that, it’s Toulouse.”

While Cullen admitted his side were undercooked in the quarter-final win over Ulster, it’s unlikely we’ll see the likes of Johnny Sexton, James Ryan, Cian Healy, Tadhg Furlong and Garry Ringrose again this week, the focus for many of the starters instead will be to get through an intense training week.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hmmm...I wouldn't be so sure about that as you, sounds like the last bit is the journalist guessing.

Its different to previous European games as well because it's just a one off, not two back to back games.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hmmm...I wouldn't be so sure about that as you, sounds like the last bit is the journalist guessing.

Its different to previous European games as well because it's just a one off, not two back to back games.
I'm not 'sure' at all, I said it 'sounds like' we won't be risking anyone!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fair!

Actually if we did rest those 5 players this week then we could still have the bones of the side that will play next week, suppose that might be okay.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

I'd like to see most of the team for Toulouse out, not everyone though. Healy/Furlong etc look like a rest would do then more good than another game. Ryan, Ringrose and Larmour are all playing fairly well and probably don't need more game time. Glasgow will presumably have a strong team out though, if we sent the kids out again they could win comfortably. SOB and Rob both need this game badly though. I'd say we'll see something like Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Toner, Fardy (or maybe Molony if he's fit), Ruddock, SOB, Deegan, JGP/O'Sullivan (depending on the plan for next week), Frawley - all the other 10s seem to be injured, I'd hope to see Johnny though, Lowe, Henshaw, O'Loughlin/O'Brien, Adam Byrne, Kearney with Dooley, Cronin, Porter, Dunne, Conan, McGrath, another 10 and Larmour on the bench.

I'm probably wrong about everything though.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

IRFU will force us to play our strongest possible team, even though it’s in our interest to lose this game.
If both us and “Munster” make it to the HCup final then they would have a pro14 playoff game to play the week before whereas we would have a 2 week gap.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Injury to Kearney and Molony leaves us light at lock. Need to get Toner on the pitch but at the same time don't want to risk Ryan and Fardy. Good opportunity for Dunne to get another run out.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We might fancy playing Glasgow in the semi though. Rather than have to play them in their home city if we made the final.....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:We might fancy playing Glasgow in the semi though. Rather than have to play them in their home city if we made the final.....
Good for the comp though if Glasgow make it to the final.
Not at our expense.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

maps wrote:IRFU will force us to play our strongest possible team, even though it’s in our interest to lose this game.
If both us and “Munster” make it to the HCup final then they would have a pro14 playoff game to play the week before whereas we would have a 2 week gap.
No they won't. You sound like a welsh regiuonal fan tbh.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote: No they won't. You sound like a welsh regiuonal fan tbh.
Ah that's an awful thing to call him.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

maps wrote:IRFU will force us to play our strongest possible team, even though it’s in our interest to lose this game.
If I follow your logic, having already put it up to Ulster by giving some late points to Treviso, this is a real chance to have a go at Munster and Connacht by losing to Glasgow. That's some top level inter-pro trolling.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Can’t believe we will be resting too many
We desperately need some continuity.

Those is need of serious game time
RK, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, Luke McGrath, HOS
Nugget, Dev, SOB, max D at 7

Team might be
RK, Jordan, GR, RH, Lowe, Sexton, Luke
Church, Nugget, Porter, Dev, Fardy, Rhys, Jack, SOB

Max Deegan to get 40 mins at 7

Johnny needs a game, to help regain confidence in his game and as importantly confidence in his body

Within the IRFU guidelines, Players need to Play