The Final, Saracens in Newcastle, May 11th. Drive for Five.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: The Final, Saracens in Newcastle, May 11th. Drive for Fi

Post by backrower8 »

Regarding the referee. Nigel doesn’t deserve it. Even if they did they would be mad to give it to him seeing how this issue has played out so far. Nigel v Billy would become THE Show. It’s not going to happen.

It seems to me that Nigel, Poite and Garces have all become a little more idiosyncratic in the winter of their careers. Is it because they are trying too hard with RWC in mind and/or do they not take correction from their peer, now boss, Rolland?

Raynal or Gauzere for me. Even Barnes if he could do a crash course on midfield offsides which he and his 3 officials ignored on Sunday.

Back foot of the ruck offsides will be a key issue for Leinster to lobby the referee on as Sarries’ line speed is reminiscent of England’s and is the thing that kills Leinster more than anything else.

We might even see a Southern Hemisphere referee in this RWC year.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Who’s the one non Leinster born player?
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Who’s the one non Leinster born player?
I'm guessing Dorris.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Possible 23?

1. Cian Healy(31)
2. James Tracy(28)
3. Tadhg Furlong(26)
4. Devin Toner(32)
5. James Ryan(22)
6. Scott Fardy(34)
7. Sean O'Brien(32)
8. Jack Conan(26)
9. Luke McGrath(26)
10. Johnny Sexton(33)
11. James Lowe(26)
12. Robbie Henshaw(25)
13. Garry Ringrose(24)
14. Jordan Larmour(21)
15. Rob Kearney(33)
16. Bryan Byrne(25)
17. Ed Byrne(25
18. Andrew Porter(23)
19. Caelan Doris(21)
20. Max Deegan(22)
21. Hugh O'Sullivan(21)
22. Ross Byrne(24)
23. Rory O'Loughlin(25)
Wouldn't go in with that bench if the game was tomorrow. There's way too little experience in it for a big game away from home, and we have other options - notably Jack McGrath at sub-loosehead and Fergus McFadden or DK as No23. Locko and Ed Byrne are doing well this season, but they're not setting the place alight. I'd take the old stagers over them in this instance with few second thoughts ... you lose a little form, you gain a huge experience bump.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Edna Kenny wrote:
I'm guessing Dorris.
I haven't seen his birth cert though and can only use Wikipedia for a source.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Luke McGrath?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Any thoughts on the lack of a lottery this year, is it a case of Leinster can't be arsed or they don't want to deal with the fallout of disappointed fans?
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

cormac wrote:
Luke McGrath?

Ahh yes of course.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
He compromised himself 1. Nothing to do with sexuality 2; totally to do with his public commentary 3. Everybody needs to put their phones down 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 5
1 Nope
2 Nonsense
3 Excuses
4 Nope
5 No wait. Maybe 4 has something about it...
Yes- because what we really need here is more internet facilitated invective.

I’m done on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Fardy ??
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

locho wrote:Any thoughts on the lack of a lottery this year, is it a case of Leinster can't be arsed or they don't want to deal with the fallout of disappointed fans?
Well last year the lottery was a disaster- of a group of 5 of us, only one was offered tickets through the lottery ( not me !!) - and thanks to this years method, I have just got two...
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Barry wrote:
Fardy ??
Backrower8 said “21 native Irish player with 20 leinster born” about the team team predicted by mildly, I just couldn’t think which of the native Irish players wasn’t Leinster born.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Possible 23?

1. Cian Healy(31)
2. James Tracy(28)
3. Tadhg Furlong(26)
4. Devin Toner(32)
5. James Ryan(22)
6. Scott Fardy(34)
7. Sean O'Brien(32)
8. Jack Conan(26)
9. Luke McGrath(26)
10. Johnny Sexton(33)
11. James Lowe(26)
12. Robbie Henshaw(25)
13. Garry Ringrose(24)
14. Jordan Larmour(21)
15. Rob Kearney(33)
16. Bryan Byrne(25)
17. Ed Byrne(25
18. Andrew Porter(23)
19. Caelan Doris(21)
20. Max Deegan(22)
21. Hugh O'Sullivan(21)
22. Ross Byrne(24)
23. Rory O'Loughlin(25)
Wouldn't go in with that bench if the game was tomorrow. There's way too little experience in it for a big game away from home, and we have other options - notably Jack McGrath at sub-loosehead and Fergus McFadden or DK as No23. Locko and Ed Byrne are doing well this season, but they're not setting the place alight. I'd take the old stagers over them in this instance with few second thoughts ... you lose a little form, you gain a huge experience bump.
I agree; J.McGrath to bench; I'd also tend to go for Bent over Porter, and DK as 23. All of course contingent on fitness. Porter at his best gives more in the loose and at the breakdown. Sarries scrum is strong, and arguably can go up a notch when/if Koch, Barrington, and Skelton come on. Leo/Stu will have had a 19 day window to prepare, including a run out against Ulster. This coaching ticket are adept at prepping a 23 with or without games, and the work done at training is obviously top notch. The narrative pre Toulouse was whether Leinster would be undercooked; but I've never seen a side so slick with so many returning players in key positions.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Having watched both semis pretty closely, I think if we can play that same level again we will beat saracens. They have a very attritional gameplan which relies a lot on power up front and farrell making the right decisions (remind me a lot of munster back in their pomp). I feel toulouse are every bit as physical as saracens and saracens can be stopped in a similar manner. There is no doubt in my mind that we have more x-factor than sarries out wide. I believe we have a higher ceiling for improvement (and in general) than sarries also. Munster had a bad day, were very poor and made saracens look good. Nidge should not be excluded as possible ref, he is a pro and I dont think he would be anything but fair to both teams. It would be a really bad reason to exclude him, he deserves better. I'm sure billy v would have no problem with it. Great to see Sean O'Brien coming back to form, he looked a lot more toned, alert, and up for the fight. Sexton also reaping the rewards of a more calm, assured approach.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yeah that three week period with only the Ulster game has to be a major benefit for us.

I think Sarries are probably slight favourites, but I’d back Leocaster et al to have our lads humming with three weeks of solid training and a bit of luck on Cronin/Ruddock being available.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

That “Leinster born” wasn’t a good idea. Leinster originated in rugby terms is what I meant.

Doris is Mayo born but a rugby product of Leinster. Luke born in Canada I think. I am sure there are other exotics in a post Jamie & Jordi world.

I was thinking of Robbie Henshaw as being a product of Connacht rugby - he was born in Athlone afaik and isn’t it possible to be born either in Connacht or Leinster in that town given the Shannon runs through it?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

backrower8 wrote:That “Leinster born” wasn’t a good idea. Leinster originated in rugby terms is what I meant.

Doris is Mayo born but a rugby product of Leinster. Luke born in Canada I think. I am sure there are other exotics in a post Jamie & Jordi world.

I was thinking of Robbie Henshaw as being a product of Connacht rugby - he was born in Athlone afaik and isn’t it possible to be born either in Connacht or Leinster in that town given the Shannon runs through it?
It's possible but Marist is based on the Westmeath side of the town although they still play in the Connacht schools comps. Athlone GAA club play in Westmeath comps.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Henshaw is from Westmeath.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

We should get Trump to chase after Robbie's birth cert, this comes up far too often and the people have a right to know.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Reasons to believe we will beat Saracens:

- better back line, especially in the centres.
- more carriers in the forwards
- fitter in the pack where the Vunipolas are not at the right level (Mako has 3 weeks to improve)
- more rested due to match schedule. We have a dead rubber this week followed by 2 weeks off, they have to put effort in against Wasps and Exeter (1 week before playing us)

Reasons for concern:

- Sexton’s fitness is paramount. Any muscle tweak or training ground issue would be fatal for us.
- our bench is callow compared to theirs (Koch, Skelton, Berger, Wigglesworth, Sinnott, Strettle)
- they are a more cohesive unit from playing more regularly together. Toulouse didn’t test us properly with bad selections at half back and back row and with an overweight pack that didn’t test us enough.

Net-net. If Johnny plays like that again we will do it.