Pro14 Conferences 2019/20 and 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro14 Conferences 2019/20 and 2020/21

Post by blockhead »

Conference A could be a real humdinger this season.
Obviously Leinster and Glasgow are rightly touted as contenders but Ulster and Cheetahs could mount a serious fight for top spot.
Both are unaffected by the World Cup and should have a clear advantage upto near the new year.
Cheetahs will be virtually unbeatable at home this season, they seem to have a much stronger squad with Pienarr etc.
Ulster made some progress last year and I'd be suprised if that does not continue this season.
We can dismiss the Dragons and Zebre. Have no idea where Ospreys are atm.

Conference B, only the Kings can be dismissed as a top 3 contender. It has the 2016 and 2017 winners and of course Cardiff (this could really be their season). Cockers will be looking to improve on what was a suprisingly poor season in the Pro14 last time out. Benetton (robbed by Nigel in last seasons QF) will hope to escape a World Cup hangover as will Munster, who actually won this competition a few times back in the days of yore. Ask yer Da.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I think the Cheetahs will be a real threat this year. I watched the Currie Cup Final and they were excellent. The score line doesn't reflect the game. They cruised into the lead and then took their foot off the peddle and allowed to Kings in for some late scores. Pienaar really had them humming and is still a top class scrum half.

In some ways, I hope they do well because the South African involvement hasn't really worked so far.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

D4surfer wrote:I think the Cheetahs will be a real threat this year. I watched the Currie Cup Final and they were excellent. The score line doesn't reflect the game. They cruised into the lead and then took their foot off the peddle and allowed to Kings in for some late scores. Pienaar really had them humming and is still a top class scrum half.

In some ways, I hope they do well because the South African involvement hasn't really worked so far.
It was the Golden Lions but yes the final score of 31-28 was a false one. Cheetahs led 31-7 after 38 mins and the Lions scored 3 tries in last 10 mins to make score look respectable.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Southern Kings have lost 24-20 to Georgia and 21-17 and 28-22 to Namibia in pre season.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Just watching the Cheetahs dismantle Glasgow. The Warriors are short 16 away at the World Cup but the Cheetahs are very impressive. I don’t think many will go there and come away with much this season.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

D4surfer wrote:Just watching the Cheetahs dismantle Glasgow. The Warriors are short 16 away at the World Cup but the Cheetahs are very impressive. I don’t think many will go there and come away with much this season.
Having only briefly watched the first 40 mins ( before local Club rugby took the next 2 hours), I was really surprised at how poor was the standard of the Glasgow players' skill levels and team work.

Almost identical comments apply to the Osprey Squad versus Ulster and their team work and skills which I watched on fast forward.

Admittedly, Ulster and Cheetahs had each got more experienced international players but even the young playees for both those teams had higher skills and better execution.

From an Irish perspective, Ulster look strong and competent, even without their Irish RWC Squad players and a few of tonight's team can certainly expect to claim Irish caps in the future. The strength of the Leinster selection against Treviso for tomorrow has similar calibre whilst Munster & Connacht have yet to show theur hand fully.

Expect all four Irish Provinces to dominate the Pro14 this season
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Glasgow v Scarlets this weekend could prove important in the overall scheme of the season. A Scarlets win will set them up well for the return of their RWC volunteers in due course and prove they have, once again, recruited shrewdly on the coaching front.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Glasgow v Scarlets this weekend could prove important in the overall scheme of the season. A Scarlets win will set them up well for the return of their RWC volunteers in due course and prove they have, once again, recruited shrewdly on the coaching front.
Well Scarlets won, Glasgow are already 9 points behind us. Only 2 games gone but .........
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Glasgow v Scarlets this weekend could prove important in the overall scheme of the season. A Scarlets win will set them up well for the return of their RWC volunteers in due course and prove they have, once again, recruited shrewdly on the coaching front.
And Scarlets got the win by 21-25 in a tight game but without a bonus point. Certainly a team re-building well.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Considering the top teams in the pools have lost 5 or less games all season for the past two years, that’s a pretty bad start for Glasgow. It’ll probably be a top three of Leinster, Ulster then Glasgow in our pool.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Serb wrote:Considering the top teams in the pools have lost 5 or less games all season for the past two years, that’s a pretty bad start for Glasgow. It’ll probably be a top three of Leinster, Ulster then Glasgow in our pool.
I'm like a broken record here but, watch out for them Cheetahs!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

blockhead wrote:I'm like a broken record here but, watch out for them Cheetahs!
Yeah, maybe. They’ll have a good home record but be poor away, like their first season in the Pro 14. Can’t see them doing better than third.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Great stuff from Connacht last night against an out of sorts Treviso. Forwards, especially Thornberry and Roux, were savage and the backs exploited the space well. young out half has some boot and he managed things well. Blade had a great game, his footwork for his first try was unreal. Poor old Healy never saw a pass though and my only criticism would be that they should put some more width on the ball. Very impressive performance and not too many teams will enjoy playing against them