Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by hugonaut »

[quote="curates_egg"]Three Leinster players on the longlist for player of the season.
Unsure how Furlong made it on there (and how he keeps making French XVs of the round).
He's clearly a class player but this is definitely his quietest season for us. Some would argue he's not even tighthead of the year at Leinster. Not me, but still.

Big rep on Furlong. Third year in a row that he has made it on to the long list.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Three Leinster players on the longlist for player of the season.
Unsure how Furlong made it on there (and how he keeps making French XVs of the round).
He's clearly a class player but this is definitely his quietest season for us. Some would argue he's not even tighthead of the year at Leinster. Not me, but still.

Big rep on Furlong. Third year in a row that he has made it on to the long list.
He's made the Midi Olympique XV of the week a number of times this season...and I could never really figure out why. He has been pretty good, but no real outstanding games.
In terms of 'player of the year', stand out performers in our pack, I would have Ryan and Van Der Flier as my nominees.

Vakatawa way ahead of the pack for me though.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Not a single Saracens player......

Don't think Radradra should be there either as the CC just isn't the same level.
Last edited by paddyor on January 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:Not a single Saracens player......
Noticed that too. Can't think of any outstanding candidates for them but it's like they don't exist anymore.

Vakatawa miles better than everyone else IMO. Moala has been the one constantly briliant player for Clermont and got them out of a few holes as well. I think Cooney has the biggest buzz around him though, can see him getting it. Kaino has been brilliant as well. As much as Toulouse play brilliant rugby he's been crucial in laying a platform for them.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

paddyor wrote:Not a single Saracens player......
Or Saints - just saying!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Vakatawa miles better than everyone else IMO. Moala has been the one constantly briliant player for Clermont and got them out of a few holes as well. I think Cooney has the biggest buzz around him though, can see him getting it. Kaino has been brilliant as well. As much as Toulouse play brilliant rugby he's been crucial in laying a platform for them.
In the 10 years of its existence it has only once gone to a player that didn't play in the final...and it's 10 years since that happened. So, I can't see either Moala or Cooney getting it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fair point. In that case...Richie McCaw :lol:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair point. In that case...Richie McCaw :lol:
:lol:
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair point. In that case...Richie McCaw :lol:
Richies missus has been spotted hat shopping
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Vakatawa miles better than everyone else IMO. Moala has been the one constantly briliant player for Clermont and got them out of a few holes as well. I think Cooney has the biggest buzz around him though, can see him getting it. Kaino has been brilliant as well. As much as Toulouse play brilliant rugby he's been crucial in laying a platform for them.
In the 10 years of its existence it has only once gone to a player that didn't play in the final...and it's 10 years since that happened. So, I can't see either Moala or Cooney getting it.
And that first award in 2010 wasn't player of the year - it was actually given to the player who had made the biggest contribution to European rugby in the first 15 YEARS of the competition. To be fair it was an amazing achievement for ROG to be honoured
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

curates_egg wrote:In the 10 years of its existence it has only once gone to a player that didn't play in the final...and it's 10 years since that happened. So, I can't see either Moala or Cooney getting it.
Writing Clermont off already? They’re home to Racing then home to Saracens in the semis. Have a good shot at the final.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote:
curates_egg wrote:In the 10 years of its existence it has only once gone to a player that didn't play in the final...and it's 10 years since that happened. So, I can't see either Moala or Cooney getting it.
Writing Clermont off already? They’re home to Racing then home to Saracens in the semis. Have a good shot at the final.
:shock:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Xanthippe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
And that first award in 2010 wasn't player of the year - it was actually given to the player who had made the biggest contribution to European rugby in the first 15 YEARS of the competition. To be fair it was an amazing achievement for ROG to be honoured
You’re too nice Xan :wink:

I’d describe it as a cop out.
I thought they created the award, then decided to give it to him with that explanation, instead of choosing an actual player of the year. At least, that’s how I remember it in my one-eyed memory.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Fulsome praise, to be fair.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

“Point of no return fast approaching”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4206977
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

From Tickets.ie :

"As Covid-19 continues to spread across Europe, The decision has been made to postpone both the Heineken Champions Cup & European Challenge Cup Finals. The events will be rescheduled for a later date, which has yet to be confirmed by the EPCR. We would like to take this opportunity to let you know that your tickets will remain valid for the new dates and we do encourage you to attend and cheer on your club, as they will need all the support from dedicated fans such as yourselves. If you do wish to attend the new dates, we suggest you keep your tickets in a safe place and watch out for further updates. The EPCR will be releasing a full statement tomorrow, Tuesday 24th March."
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

nc6000 wrote:From Tickets.ie :

"As Covid-19 continues to spread across Europe, The decision has been made to postpone both the Heineken Champions Cup & European Challenge Cup Finals. The events will be rescheduled for a later date, which has yet to be confirmed by the EPCR. We would like to take this opportunity to let you know that your tickets will remain valid for the new dates and we do encourage you to attend and cheer on your club, as they will need all the support from dedicated fans such as yourselves. If you do wish to attend the new dates, we suggest you keep your tickets in a safe place and watch out for further updates. The EPCR will be releasing a full statement tomorrow, Tuesday 24th March."

full statement has been published today: https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/03/24/epc ... al-matches

not much additional detail in there that tickets.ie didn't already cover. tix remain valid for when the new dates/venues are announced.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Nothing about refunds for Saracens game or the final.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

The email I got from the EPCR mentions refunds (I have a ticket for the final):

“Given the current situation, the ticket office is currently operating far below full capacity. If ticket-holders are unable to attend Finals Weekend when it is rescheduled and a new date is announced, then refunds will be made from that point and information communicated to fans via official tournament channels as to how to obtain those.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

John23 wrote:You would have to think that BT Sports will want to a Leinster v Saracens QF top billing. 5.15pm on the Saturday I'd guess.
And @John23 wasn't wrong and we should, by right, now be beginning to congregate around the hostelries of Ballsbridge instead of cocooning. The best laid plans of mice and men gang oft aglay....etc.

I am however confident we'll beat them if the opportunity does arise.