Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
blockhead wrote:It will be a sell out for sure. Best to get them in the Aviva.
Could depend on who is available after the 6Ns.
Billy V sounds like hes out though.
+1
We should want to beat them in the European Cup. Q/F at home if the best option.
Agree with that, and I always enjoy having tough groups as well. But this is going to be a horrible horrible game to watch as a Leinster fan. For a whole heap of reasons they're just a horrible team to play against.

I'm not saying I'm pessimistic (I think we're clear favourites for the whole thing) but this does slightly remind me of when everything was set up so well for us in 2003.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Peg Leg wrote:Not if Glos win +13 or BP
Cherry and whites currently 7-0 up. I like to think of all the Sarries lads chugging sponsors' brew in the changing room, having general Wolfpack bantz and then Gloucester win 13-0 with a 60m penalty given incorrectly in the 86th minute.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Will be interesting to see who our Southern cousins will support in this one
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In a game between last years finalists, with one team looking for revenge and the other the most disgraced team in the history of professional rugby, who our southern cousins support is probably the least interesting thing about it.

I'd say that Wanderers are delighted. They will no longer be the most hated team to grace the Lansdowne Road turf :D :D :D
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:In a game between last years finalists, with one team looking for revenge and the other the most disgraced team in the history of professional rugby, who our southern cousins support is probably the least interesting thing about it.

I'd say that Wanderers are delighted. They will no longer be the most hated team to grace the Lansdowne Road turf :D :D :D
LMFAO!!! :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Despite a generally vigilent TMO, Racing lost today rather than drawing because of two missed knock-ons in the last 7 minutes - Daley onto Dulin's head and Farrell on right touchline. The 16th man in Aviva will be vital.

Even without Billy V, this will be our toughest EPCR game ever. We could really do with Leavy being available but I presume there's no chance. No matter how well Deegan and / or Doris play, the physicality of all of the Sarries pack is frightening.

Their mid-field is vulnerable to Henshaw, Ringer and Larmour but we would need quick, quick ball and lots of team tempo.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Despite a generally vigilent TMO, Racing lost today rather than drawing because of two missed knock-ons in the last 7 minutes - Daley onto Dulin's head and Farrell on right touchline. The 16th man in Aviva will be vital.

Even without Billy V, this will be our toughest EPCR game ever. We could really do with Leavy being available but I presume there's no chance. No matter how well Deegan and / or Doris play, the physicality of all of the Sarries pack is frightening.

Their mid-field is vulnerable to Henshaw, Ringer and Larmour but we would need quick, quick ball and lots of team tempo.
Yes - this is the one team I didn't want. And the sight of them doing a lap of honour with Nigel Wray merrily clapping in the stands is jarring.
That said, how naive were Racing?...played nothing in the 2nd half.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Have to say I love it. I absolutely love being given the chance to avenge last years match before they f*ck off to obscurity.

I've no doubt that the boys will love the opportunity to put the record straight themselves.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wasn't surprised that Sarries were well up for that game today. The players reaction to all the Salary Cap scandal has been "just let's get on with it". However, in two months time, following 6 or 7 more meaningless fixtures in the PRL without possibly10 front-line players away with England, if McCall can produce a Sarries team with the same energy and cohesion, he will have made himself a candidate for Coach of the Year and a prospect for Ireland's next RWC Head Coach.

He and Sarries have huge challenges ahead as the reality of what the future holds really dawns on their players. A season of fixtures from Plymouth to Ealing to Headingley via Doncaster, Nottngham etc. is not an exciting prospect and trying to convince world-class players that they should stay united until Sepember 2021 is an almost impossible task.

Notwithstanding all that, we have to up our game again. The motivation of playing Leinster in Aviva is a big one for any English player. For all this Sarries team, it will be another opportunity to wave two fingers at a rugby establishment. But we must prepare for our biggest game this season when only excellence will be enough.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

A question
Are Salarycens allowed to keep their squad together till end of season or do they have to offload some players.
If they are allowed keep them all then surely that’s the equivalent of gong to prison for a bank robbery but being allowed to keep the proceeds of the robbery .
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Blue not red blood wrote:A question
Are Salarycens allowed to keep their squad together till end of season or do they have to offload some players.
If they are allowed keep them all then surely that’s the equivalent of gong to prison for a bank robbery but being allowed to keep the proceeds of the robbery .
They have already been relegated for non-compliance with the salary cap. They don't need to get rid of anyone until the start of net year.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Perfect......Stuff Sarries in Dublin....what a massive match this is, can't bloody wait, we need every seat stuffed with Blue and cheer on this team of ours to a great win. Won't be easy, we need to be close to perfect on the day but I back Leocaster to rise the team and get it done. Only problem is its bloody ages away....what the hell are we gonna do for Feb and March, already can't wait for this one. Arguably one the biggest games we have ever had ??
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

God this is going to be the toughest year yet. We manage to beat sarries and it’s more than likely a French team (Toulouse) in semi followed by more than likely Exeter in final if Toulouse don’t manage to get to 26 points
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Wasn't surprised that Sarries were well up for that game today. The players reaction to all the Salary Cap scandal has been "just let's get on with it". However, in two months time, following 6 or 7 more meaningless fixtures in the PRL without possibly10 front-line players away with England, if McCall can produce a Sarries team with the same energy and cohesion, he will have made himself a candidate for Coach of the Year and a prospect for Ireland's next RWC Head Coach.

He and Sarries have huge challenges ahead as the reality of what the future holds really dawns on their players. A season of fixtures from Plymouth to Ealing to Headingley via Doncaster, Nottngham etc. is not an exciting prospect and trying to convince world-class players that
they should stay united until Sepember 2021 is an almost impossible task.
Notwithstanding all that, we have to up our game again. The motivation of playing Leinster in Aviva is a big one for any English player. For all this Sarries team, it will be another opportunity to wave two fingers at a rugby establishment. But we must prepare for our biggest game this season when only excellence will be enough.
Are they obligated to remain in the C'ship for 2 seasons?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Blue not red blood wrote:Will be interesting to see who our Southern cousins will support in this one
Jerry Flannery said he was supporting Saracens in last year’s final. I imagine they’ll stick with that
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

tingman wrote:
Are they obligated to remain in the C'ship for 2 seasons?
No, but if they are promoted they will have to show that they are salary-cap compliant
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We play winner of Racing/Clermont if we overcome Sarries.

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Will be interesting to see who our Southern cousins will support in this one
Jerry Flannery said he was supporting Saracens in last year’s final. I imagine they’ll stick with that
That's him off me Xmas card list so.
Last edited by riocard911 on January 19th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Twist wrote:
Again, as Dave has said, who really gives a flying f*** who Flannery or any other Munster head will support ...
Bottom line is that we’re in the QF and they are not ...

I would have thought that playing Leinster at the Aviva , is the last thing Sarries would have wished for in QF
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

there's two weekends between the end of the 6 nations and the QF v sarries - we're in South Africa for both of them. huge disadvantage.