Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by blockhead »

bgmusic wrote:Nothing about refunds for Saracens game or the final.
If the game and tournament is cancelled, maybe we should not look for refunds. Our club will be in desperate need of the cash. Individual circumstances vary for every ticket holder, I know, but if by not seeking a refund it means that a significant portion of that money goes to Leinster Rugby then I won't be looking for my refund.
This game, the Munster game and the PRO14 home semi were going to be this seasons cash-cow. And it's not like Leinster can go running to the IRFU for a bail out. Nobody has any loot.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Munster Pro14 & EPCR Q/F are Leinster income, net of costs and European distribution to opposition (? 25% of gate). The projected gate for the Munster game is included in Leinster annual budget but even with this included, Leinster budgeted for a loss - less than €1m - in a budget of c. €16M expenditure. The Q/F income is not budgeted and a home Q/F is anticipated to yield c. €1.25m net, thus producing an overall surplus in the Season.

It is rumoured that Leinster have been focussing on trying to reduce their financial reliance on STH and gates but it is hard to see where this can be generated without the certainty of big games. Obviously Sponsorship and Merchandise are the major element of income in soccer & NFL but both have enormous audiences compared to Irish rugby.

Personally I derive a small element of consolation that CVC Partners could not have included the events of the past months into any Business Plan they prepared for either the Premiership or the Pro14, never mind the 6N competition. Hopefully the money from their investment proves useful to survival of the Clubs in these competitions.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The Munster Pro14 & EPCR Q/F are Leinster income, net of costs and European distribution to opposition (? 25% of gate). The projected gate for the Munster game is included in Leinster annual budget but even with this included, Leinster budgeted for a loss - less than €1m - in a budget of c. €16M expenditure. The Q/F income is not budgeted and a home Q/F is anticipated to yield c. €1.25m net, thus producing an overall surplus in the Season.

It is rumoured that Leinster have been focussing on trying to reduce their financial reliance on STH and gates but it is hard to see where this can be generated without the certainty of big games. Obviously Sponsorship and Merchandise are the major element of income in soccer & NFL but both have enormous audiences compared to Irish rugby.

Personally I derive a small element of consolation that CVC Partners could not have included the events of the past months into any Business Plan they prepared for either the Premiership or the Pro14, never mind the 6N competition. Hopefully the money from their investment proves useful to survival of the Clubs in these competitions.
Agree, but have they already transferred the spons? If not they could possibly claim force majeure and walk.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Radical new proposals to boost rugby’s finances with the introduction of an annual Club World Cup could spell the end of the Heineken Champions Cup, the most prestigious competition in the European club game.

Bernard Laporte, the president of the French Rugby Federation, who is aiming to become vice-chairman of World Rugby next month, has told Midi Olympique of plans he has developed for a six-week club competition to be held every year, featuring 20 teams from around the world.

Space would be made in the calendar by removing the European club competitions, which Laporte feels do not generate enough money.

“The European competition is magnificent, with Toulon [as head coach] I was able to lift the trophy three times and I know what it can represent,” Laporte said. “But let’s be frank, it does not generate enough income. If we want to develop this Club World Cup, we have to find dates. Without the Champions Cup, nine weekends are available.”

At the World Rugby Council meeting next month, Laporte will be running alongside Bill Beaumont, who is seeking re-election as chairman, and they will distribute their manifesto this week at a time when the economic viability of the game worldwide is being threatened by the coronavirus shutdown.

To address the problems the game will be facing, Laporte is proposing a new window “dedicated to clubs” to allow the creation of his new competition. The format for the global club competition would replicate the structure of the Rugby World Cup, with 20 teams split into four pools of five, followed by quarter-finals, semi-finals and a final.

Six teams would qualify from Super Rugby, four teams each from England, France and the Pro14 competitions, plus the league champions from Japan and the United States.

“This is only a proposal,” Laporte said, “but I am sure of one thing: we must create this competition and very quickly. It could be a breath of fresh air for the whole of world rugby.”

Laporte told Midi Olympique that he has discussed the proposal with Bill Sweeney, the RFU chief executive, along with the presidents of Top 14 clubs in France. “All are excited by such a project,” Laporte said. “The goal of my approach is to find the income that will allow [unions] to finance both the professional and amateur world. This crisis must push us to be innovative. Let’s make this new competition. I am sure that the public and television will follow.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -cvx98rmmd
I have Bumbleflex
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

that's an ambitious plan....not sure I agree with it.
https://sport24.lefigaro.fr/rugby/actua ... ubs-998722
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

There's not enough money from the competition because they scrapped the previous competition which had good sponsorship arrangements and long term prestige.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Radical new proposals to boost rugby’s finances with the introduction of an annual Club World Cup could spell the end of the Heineken Champions Cup, the most prestigious competition in the European club game.

Bernard Laporte, the president of the French Rugby Federation, who is aiming to become vice-chairman of World Rugby next month, has told Midi Olympique of plans he has developed for a six-week club competition to be held every year, featuring 20 teams from around the world.

Space would be made in the calendar by removing the European club competitions, which Laporte feels do not generate enough money.

“The European competition is magnificent, with Toulon [as head coach] I was able to lift the trophy three times and I know what it can represent,” Laporte said. “But let’s be frank, it does not generate enough income. If we want to develop this Club World Cup, we have to find dates. Without the Champions Cup, nine weekends are available.”

At the World Rugby Council meeting next month, Laporte will be running alongside Bill Beaumont, who is seeking re-election as chairman, and they will distribute their manifesto this week at a time when the economic viability of the game worldwide is being threatened by the coronavirus shutdown.

To address the problems the game will be facing, Laporte is proposing a new window “dedicated to clubs” to allow the creation of his new competition. The format for the global club competition would replicate the structure of the Rugby World Cup, with 20 teams split into four pools of five, followed by quarter-finals, semi-finals and a final.

Six teams would qualify from Super Rugby, four teams each from England, France and the Pro14 competitions, plus the league champions from Japan and the United States.

“This is only a proposal,” Laporte said, “but I am sure of one thing: we must create this competition and very quickly. It could be a breath of fresh air for the whole of world rugby.”

Laporte told Midi Olympique that he has discussed the proposal with Bill Sweeney, the RFU chief executive, along with the presidents of Top 14 clubs in France. “All are excited by such a project,” Laporte said. “The goal of my approach is to find the income that will allow [unions] to finance both the professional and amateur world. This crisis must push us to be innovative. Let’s make this new competition. I am sure that the public and television will follow.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -cvx98rmmd
Another Anglo-French stitch-up to prevent us gaining the fifth star and putting our Premiership and Top 14 rivals to shame. World domination for Leinster it is so. Bring - It - On!!!!!!!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

FLIP wrote:There's not enough money from the competition because they scrapped the previous competition which had good sponsorship arrangements and long term prestige.
I know it is just a proposal and am just a fan obviously....but I cannot see the World Club competition being the entertaining spectacle laporte thinks it will...

this year in the heineken cup, for the first time in a while, a lot of pools went down to the wire.....in previous years, there were a lot of dead rubbers when it came to the final pool stages...the french teams would send a b-team once interest in the competition was over. Which turned up some dreadful, one-sided games, which were a 5 point gimme.

I fear it will be worse if it is a world club competition.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Maybe this will finally enable the Premiership clubs to be competitive.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:
bgmusic wrote:Nothing about refunds for Saracens game or the final.
If the game and tournament is cancelled, maybe we should not look for refunds. Our club will be in desperate need of the cash. Individual circumstances vary for every ticket holder, I know, but if by not seeking a refund it means that a significant portion of that money goes to Leinster Rugby then I won't be looking for my refund.
This game, the Munster game and the PRO14 home semi were going to be this seasons cash-cow. And it's not like Leinster can go running to the IRFU for a bail out. Nobody has any loot.
We'll see where we end up but as a club we're a bit different to other European clubs in that Leinster not only run the professional game but also the amateur game across the province.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

EPRC Staement
EPCR has noted today’s media reports regarding a proposal for an annual Club World Cup.

Discussions have already taken place on an official level between EPCR and its shareholders regarding a global club tournament which could complement the Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup and which could take place once every four years. Work on possible formats is ongoing with a collaborative approach and issues of player welfare to the fore.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

european finals are tentatively scheduled now for the 16th and 17th of october.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/05/14/sta ... 1-formats/

I notice a huge music festival that normally happens in Marseilles each year is cancelled for 2020..and that is a week before the new dates. so maybe a city switch for the finals?

In the same breath, that news article also mentions a potential new format...i.e. 24 team heineken up with 8 teams from each of the leading leagues...which I presume is the pro14, english prem and top14....played over 8 weekends. not much more detail other than that.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:european finals are tentatively scheduled now for the 16th and 17th of october.

I notice a huge music festival that normally happens in Marseilles each year is cancelled for 2020..and that is a week before the new dates. so maybe a city switch for the finals?

In the same breath, that news article also mentions a potential new format...i.e. 24 team heineken up with 8 teams from each of the leading leagues...which I presume is the pro14, english prem and top14....played over 8 weekends. not much more detail other than that.
I understand the 8 from each league - France will want Toulouse and Montpellier to be in if at all possible. The bit that makes no sense is the 8 weekends - unless they're really being stupid and looking at four pools of 6 with everyone playing each other once and it's just luck of the draw who gets three home games and who gets three away!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Xanthippe wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:european finals are tentatively scheduled now for the 16th and 17th of october.

I understand the 8 from each league - France will want Toulouse and Montpellier to be in if at all possible. The bit that makes no sense is the 8 weekends - unless they're really being stupid and looking at four pools of 6 with everyone playing each other once and it's just luck of the draw who gets three home games and who gets three away!
I didn't see it that way..i would have guessed 6 pools x 4 teams.
6 weekends for pool games home and away...pool winners go though with the 2 highest 2nd placed.
2 weekends for quarters and semis.

i.e. not much different to the current setup..just an extra pool and harder to get through in 2nd.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So no final then? What do they do share the trophy between the 2 semi final winners?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Xanthippe wrote:

It's dumber than that. 2 groups of twelve, Home and away vs 2 random teams......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

8 groups of 3, 4 group games.
Top 2 go through to round of 16.
QF, SF, F

Less gimmes against poor teams. More knockout games. Less weekends overall.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That's possibly the most sensible thing I've seen that fits 24 teams into 8 weekends. Plus the groups could have one from each league.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

heno wrote:8 groups of 3, 4 group games.
Top 2 go through to round of 16.
QF, SF, F

Less gimmes against poor teams. More knockout games. Less weekends overall.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
that makes sense heno. I thought they would do 6 groups of 4....but 8 groups of 3...yeah. I think you will still get some gimmes though, regardless of the format.
frustrating that they tinker with the format every few years.....but if this works, great.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

A pool with 3 teams still needs 6 weekends to complete their fixtures.