Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by wixfjord »

Another point on Munster - both Racing and Sarries have 4g pitches and Ospreys now have a hybrid.

Bigger pressure on Larkham to get the backline moving now.

Sarries and Racing are the two sides that Munster have failed against in knockouts over the last few years due to relying on brute force and little finesse. Seeing whether this will change will be fascinating.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

wixfjord wrote:Another point on Munster - both Racing and Sarries have 4g pitches and Ospreys now have a hybrid.

Bigger pressure on Larkham to get the backline moving now.

Sarries and Racing are the two sides that Munster have failed against in knockouts over the last few years due to relying on brute force and little finesse. Seeing whether this will change will be fascinating.
Hope they all Knock hell out of each other !. The winner squeaking into an away quarter final in Clermont where they get stuffed and no second place team from that pool making it through !.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

All genuine teams in our Pool and each one capable of raising their game for a targeted result. Also, three smart Head Coaches who may fancy trying to make a big impression by grabbing a 'big scalp'. Leo and his Coaches will be happy with the opponents but will recognise the potential pitfalls.

Lyon bring a mighty pack. Treviso bring smart rugby and two sniping wingers. Saints bring a very smart Coach, who gave a good account of his first Season. A lot depends on the draw as to how competitive the last two games will be.

Nothing easy for the other Irish Provinces.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

That is about as good as it gets, happy Wednesday to us all....

Delighted and everything set up for a home qtr and possibly top seed. Ideal in a world cup year. Perfect start to our drive for a fifth star.

Munster gonna have a huge battle to get out of their pool and Ulster and Connacht will struggle too. Decent possibility Leinster may be the only Irish team in the qtr's next year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

footrush wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I presume Saints will be the Christmas Aviva choice.
Have provisionally booked somewhere to stay near the train station for the Saturday nite both weekends in December €65 really good value !.
The Sandymount Hotel?
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

There is a heap of water to go under this bridge yet, especially with World Cup looming. One regret - no autumn trip to the South of France, something I have greatly enjoyed for past three years.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Of course lots to happen and we need to avoid multiple big player injuries in the WC but a home qtr and top seed is sitting in our grasp. By the time we get to qtr finals etc the WC should be long forgotten.......whatever happens !!

Only issue is the wait.......
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Caliphi wrote:There is a heap of water to go under this bridge yet, especially with World Cup looming. One regret - no autumn trip to the South of France, something I have greatly enjoyed for past three years.
Lyon is a cracking city.....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:All genuine teams in our Pool and each one capable of raising their game for a targeted result. Also, three smart Head Coaches who may fancy trying to make a big impression by grabbing a 'big scalp'. Leo and his Coaches will be happy with the opponents but will recognise the potential pitfalls.

Lyon bring a mighty pack. Treviso bring smart rugby and two sniping wingers. Saints bring a very smart Coach, who gave a good account of his first Season. A lot depends on the draw as to how competitive the last two games will be.

Nothing easy for the other Irish Provinces.
I think you're being very kind to that Lyon pack calling it 'mighty'!

Their recent semi final line up was:
8. Fourie , 7. Gill 6. Puricelli, 5. Roodt , 4.Goujon, 3.Gomez-Kodela, 2. Ivaldi , 1. Thatch

Their first choice 1-8 next season is something like
Chiocci, Ivaldi, Bamba, Lambey, Franco VDM, Puricelli, Gill, Fearns

We've beaten up far better packs than that. They lost 6 games and scored 0 points in Europe this season for a reason.

Each side has a bit about them, but realistically right now we should be aiming for five wins at the *very* least in this group, and 6 if we're being really honest.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Anything less than 6 wins and top seed would be disappointing......for me anyway. Let's not try and talk up the opposition in our group - it's about as good as we could have got. It's great in a WC year !!

Gives the coaching staff some breathing room in terms of getting Leinster humming post WC so it's all good.

I'm delighted !!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

riocard911 wrote:
footrush wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I presume Saints will be the Christmas Aviva choice.
Have provisionally booked somewhere to stay near the train station for the Saturday nite both weekends in December €65 really good value !.
The Sandymount Hotel?
:D
Flying wedge
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Blueberry wrote:
Caliphi wrote:There is a heap of water to go under this bridge yet, especially with World Cup looming. One regret - no autumn trip to the South of France, something I have greatly enjoyed for past three years.
Yep had a great time at the Clermont game there a few years ago !.
Flying wedge
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Blueberry wrote:
agree - was there for the 2016 final & 2017 semi final - 2 great weekends (other than the results)
wexford bohs
Beginner

Post by wexford bohs »

Booked northampton for the 7/8 December as I can't see them picking anyone else for the return Aviva xmas game.

Does anyone know when the actual fixtures are being announced?
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

wexford bohs wrote:Booked northampton for the 7/8 December as I can't see them picking anyone else for the return Aviva xmas game.

Is there also the possibility that it might be the following weekend ?.
Flying wedge
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

footrush wrote:
wexford bohs wrote:Booked northampton for the 7/8 December as I can't see them picking anyone else for the return Aviva xmas game.

No the game days are 6/7/8 and the week 13/14/15 Dec.

We've always had the second game in the Aviva and I'd say it's a very, very good bet it'lll be Saints.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

wixfjord wrote:
footrush wrote:

No the game days are 6/7/8 and the week 13/14/15 Dec.

We've always had the second game in the Aviva and I'd say it's a very, very good bet it'lll be Saints.
Handy to know !.
Flying wedge
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blueberry wrote:
Yeah it is.
Tried tripe there for only my first and last time.
Memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Otherwise a great place, great tram system and metro.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Heineken Champions Cup 2020

Post by Oldschool »

Twist wrote:Pool 1

Leinster
Lyon
Northampton
Benetton

Pool 2

Exeter
Glasgow
La Rochelle
Sale

Pool 3

ASM
Ulster
Harlequins
Bath

Pool 4 holy sh!t

Saracens
Munster
Racing
Ospreys

Pool 5

Toulouse
Gloucester
Connacht
Monpellier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Long range prediction.
Leinster, Exeter, Ulster, Saracens and Toulouse pool winners.
Second place teams.
Bennetton, Glasgow, Bath, Munster, Connacht.
Glasgow and Bath 6th and 7th seeds.
Take your pick for 8th seed.
Reasoning. Pro14 teams are now very competitive.
French teams have a real Achilles heal in the their lack of fitness and their discipline is poor.
While Saracens and Exeter are genuine title contenders, the rest aren't.
Any 50/50 calls, the Pro14 team got the nod.
Last edited by Oldschool on June 20th, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

"Munster" should get out of that group. 2 points from Sarries, 5/6 from Racing and 9/10 from Ospreys should qualify them. Leinster v "Munster" quarter final. Horrible group of fabricated teams though - 3 of them with little/no domestic talent, plus Ospreys.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ