Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by artaneboy »

Theleinsterlad wrote:God this is going to be the toughest year yet. We manage to beat sarries and it’s more than likely a French team (Toulouse) in semi followed by more than likely Exeter in final if Toulouse don’t manage to get to 26 points
But imagine if and when we do win it?

What a way to reinforce our preeminent position as the “5 Star” Kings of Europe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Not having Billy V available is a huge thing if he doesn't recover in time and I suspect it will be very tight time wise to be back playing by early April.

We are a better team than last year, Sarries have declined and we are at home and if they dont have Billy V ( who was exceptional in the final last year) we have to be favourites. So relax, trust this team and we will get it done. Send Sarries packing off to a season in the wilderness....

Only problem is having to wait and sit through the six nations watching every hit that Ryan and Sexton and Ringrose make hoping it's not a season ending injury...

Having said all of that our squad depth gives me great confidence....

Leinster by 10
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Agree with that, and I always enjoy having tough groups as well. But this is going to be a horrible horrible game to watch as a Leinster fan. For a whole heap of reasons they're just a horrible team to play against.

I'm not saying I'm pessimistic (I think we're clear favourites for the whole thing) but this does slightly remind me of when everything was set up so well for us in 2003.
It reminds me of 2018 when we got Saracens at the Aviva and went on to win the Heino, Pro14 and 6N Grand Slam.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:
Twist wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Will be interesting to see who our Southern cousins will support in this one
Jerry Flannery said he was supporting Saracens in last year’s final. I imagine they’ll stick with that
That's him off me Xmas card list so.
He was never on mine, he a Munster head.
He's not the first from that parish to begrudge us our success.
As the late Gay Byrne put it - The Irish are a nation of begrudgers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Be interested to see what happens to the away teams ticket allocation ?.
Flying wedge
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Oldschool wrote:
Jerry Flannery said he was supporting Saracens in last year’s final. I imagine they’ll stick with that

That's him off me Xmas card list so.
there was more than a few munster fans in bilbao two years ago sporting racing jerseys with zebos face on the back. sad but true.
In cardiff last year, on my way to the jacks in a pub after the game I said "congrats, great win" to a guy in a red jersey. turned out it was a munster supporter who flipped off about "why does everyone think i am a welsh supporter??!" absolute bellend. I said nothing and carried on my mission to get to the jacks. Made a point of not washing my hands and grabbed his hand on the way back to my pint, to apologise profusely. my hand was dripping with bodily fluids and i think I splashed some on him as well as his hand. no time for bell ends like that and probably shouldn't have done it but jaysis most munster fans I meet are great craic but to don a red jersey in the millenium for an irish v wales game is not on.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think that if your feelings for munster are causing you to pee on your hands, it might be time to take a break from the sport :wink:
I have Bumbleflex
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think that if your feelings for munster are causing you to pee on your hands, it might be time to take a break from the sport :wink:
thanks Dave. Yeah you might be right. But I do not connect with rugby supporters like that. I support Ireland regardless of what province the team is made up from. If you cannot support the irish team in the way this munster fan was waxing lyrical about, I am just sorry I didn't go for a poo.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Disagree with Dave on this one, I think it’s a baller move. You saw the opportunity and you took it like a pissy-handed shark.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I think that if your feelings for munster are causing you to pee on your hands, it might be time to take a break from the sport :wink:
thanks Dave. Yeah you might be right. But I do not connect with rugby supporters like that. I support Ireland regardless of what province the team is made up from. If you cannot support the irish team in the way this munster fan was waxing lyrical about, I am just sorry I didn't go for a poo.
If its club rugby they can support whoever they like, Ireland aren't playing. If its Ireland, well I could never understand the whole wearing your provincial jersey thing (unless maybe its connacht), but its not something I particularly worried about apart from the aesthetics of it.

Though in recent years, the way the Union release multiple jerseys every year, my views have changed to think that really theres nothing wrong with softening their greedy cough by wearing your provincial jersey, particularly as none of them are made by their partners in avarice, CCC
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Two months of this then:

gangseo

Post by gangseo »

I never understand why fans get so angry about Munster fans supporting another team v Leinster. There's no right or wrong way to approach it. Munster are Leinster's biggest rivals. I support their opponents every single time. I don't want to see them win another European Cup. And I don't care if Munster fans cheer for anyone other than Leinster. Rivarly means different things to different people. Jerry Flannery can cheer for Saracens all he wants. Not gonna change my opinion one bit.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

gangseo wrote:I never understand why fans get so angry about Munster fans supporting another team v Leinster. There's no right or wrong way to approach it. Munster are Leinster's biggest rivals. I support their opponents every single time. I don't want to see them win another European Cup. And I don't care if Munster fans cheer for anyone other than Leinster. Rivarly means different things to different people. Jerry Flannery can cheer for Saracens all he wants. Not gonna change my opinion one bit.
+1

As for provincial jerseys at international fixtures, I'm in a WhatsApp group dedicated to spotting these tools. It's called "there's always one". The worst are Munster jerseys at Ireland away soccer matches. Wrong team, wrong sport, wrong brain-wiring. I would never wear a Leinster jersey to an Ireland match of any code.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

joooooe wrote:
gangseo wrote:I never understand why fans get so angry about Munster fans supporting another team v Leinster. There's no right or wrong way to approach it. Munster are Leinster's biggest rivals. I support their opponents every single time. I don't want to see them win another European Cup. And I don't care if Munster fans cheer for anyone other than Leinster. Rivarly means different things to different people. Jerry Flannery can cheer for Saracens all he wants. Not gonna change my opinion one bit.
+1

As for provincial jerseys at international fixtures, I'm in a WhatsApp group dedicated to spotting these tools. It's called "there's always one". The worst are Munster jerseys at Ireland away soccer matches. Wrong team, wrong sport, wrong brain-wiring. I would never wear a Leinster jersey to an Ireland match of any code.
What about turning up to the semi-final of the HEC Leinster vs. Toulouse in the Aviva wearing a Munster Jersey as we witnessed not one but two lads last season sitting in the lower south behind the goal? where does that rank?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

joooooe wrote:
+1

Plenty of those tools at the world cup. Especially when we were playing against teams playing in red like Japan or Russia.
Anyone But New Zealand
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Couple of women at the Stadio Monigo at the w/e wearing Munster beanies. Any old cr@p to keep your ears warm, I suppose.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some stats from the group phase.

Toulouse won all 6 pool matches for the first time in their history.
Leinster won all 6 pool matches for a fourth time and registered their highest ever match-points total of 28.
Garry Ringrose, Teddy Thomas and Exeter Chiefs Sam Simmonds finished the pool stage as joint-leading try-scorers on 6 apiece.
When Toulouse play their quarter-final against Ulster, they will equal the tournament record of 18 knockout stage appearances.
John Cooney was the top points-scorer in the pool stage with 71, including 5 tries.
Exeter will stage a Champions Cup quarter-final at Sandy Park for the first time in their history.
Virimi Vakatawa beat the most defenders during the pool stage with 39.
Ollie Thorley, the Gloucester wing, was the leading metre-maker during the pool stage on 564.
Josh van der Flier was the top tackler from the pool stage with 98.
Saracens qualified for the knockout stage for the ninth season in a row.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

joooooe wrote:
+1

Maybe they only have Munster jerseys and don't want or can't afford to shell out on a new Ireland jersey every season. They probably can't get tickets to the rugby internationals but want to show support for Ireland.
Like why would a Munster fan buy a Leinster jersey to watch Leinster play Toulouse (or any other team).
If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't buy a Munster jersey.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

QF Days and KO Times confirmed on Friday at 1pm UK Time.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Sat Apr 4 3:15pm Exeter v Saints BT Sport
Sat Apr 4 3:15pm (UK Time) Clermont v R92 BT Sport
Sun Apr 5 3:15pm (UK Time) Toulouse v Ulster BT Sport / Channel 4 / Virgin Media One