Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by wixfjord »

deco wrote:"Horrible group of fabricated teams though - 3 of them with little/no domestic talent, plus Ospreys.
I know that's probably tongue in cheek, but it ain’t really true is it!

I mean the majority of Sarries side is either properly academy grown or ‘domestic’ (George, Kruis, Itoje, Wray, the Vunipolas, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Farrell, Lowzoski, Goode etc).
Sarries have the highest % of academy graduates in the premiership in fact.

For all our laughing at Munster, the crux of their side is still backboned by academy (Kilcoyne, 2x Scannells, Ryan, POM, JOB, Murray, Earls) and and domestic players too (Beirne, Joey, Farrell, Conway).

Racing are probably the one you could level that accusation at most, and even then they have a chunk of French guys like Machenaud, Thomas, Chavancy, Chat, Lauret, Ben Arous etc.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

wixfjord wrote:
deco wrote:"Horrible group of fabricated teams though - 3 of them with little/no domestic talent, plus Ospreys.

I mean the majority of Sarries side is either properly academy grown or ‘domestic’ (George, Kruis, Itoje, Wray, the Vunipolas, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Farrell, Lowzoski, Goode etc).

For all our laughing at Munster, the crux of their side is still backboned by academy (Kilcoyne, 2x Scannells, Ryan, POM, JOB, Murray, Earls) and and domestic players too (Beirne, Joey, Farrell, Conway).

Racing are probably the one you could level that accusation at most, and even then they have a chunk of French guys like Machenaud, Thomas, Chavancy, Chat, Lauret, Ben Arous etc.
Ya, twas tongue in cheek. Sarries have an excellent academy and a brilliant attitude to player welfare/development. I think you're being generous to Kilcoyne, Scanell x2, Ryan and JOB. They would struggle to make any top European squad. Murray & Earls are class. POM has an angry face.

Racing are Racing, ironically with 2 excellent Munster men on their books - Ryan is a real enforcer, much more than an angry face.

Still, far from the group of death it's been painted as. Albeit a though group, "Munster" should qualify in second (last up a disinterested Racing in Stab City, for the annual miracle match).
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

deco wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Ya, twas tongue in cheek. Sarries have an excellent academy and a brilliant attitude to player welfare/development. I think you're being generous to Kilcoyne, Scanell x2, Ryan and JOB. They would struggle to make any top European squad. Murray & Earls are class. POM has an angry face.

Racing are Racing, ironically with 2 excellent Munster men on their books - Ryan is a real enforcer, much more than an angry face.

Still, far from the group of death it's been painted as. Albeit a though group, "Munster" should qualify in second (last up a disinterested Racing in Stab City, for the annual miracle match).
How am I being 'generous'? I'm saying they're a key part of Munster's squad. That's not referring to whether they're good or bad players, it's a fact!

It's by far the worst group of the lot btw, which is generally what people refer to when they say 'group of death'. Three potential genuine contenders.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Pool 2 isn't as box office but it's very tough as well. No weak team and I'd back each team to win their home games right now. It'll be some scrap between that group and Munster's for the last qualification spot.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Suppose with our group little to talk about....so let's discuss Munster. Think Sarries will beat them twice so probably comes down to Racing away, lose that and they will really struggle to make the qtr's. Timing of when this fixture takes place is key for them. First up away v Ospreys could be troublesome as well. Bottom line is it's 50:50 at best for me. Bonus points key.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Pool 2 isn't as box office but it's very tough as well. No weak team and I'd back each team to win their home games right now. It'll be some scrap between that group and Munster's for the last qualification spot.
Not nearly as much of a recent Euro pedigree though.

Sale will be the interesting one in that group, will cause a lot of problems.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Pool 2 isn't as box office but it's very tough as well. No weak team and I'd back each team to win their home games right now. It'll be some scrap between that group and Munster's for the last qualification spot.
So? How does that affect what I've said?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
So? How does that affect what I've said?
Oooh very narky!

It's a comment in a thread about Euro groups about the quality of a specific group, will ye relax!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Do any of the regular travellers here have any idea whether Benetton have played big games in their home stadium or whether they move games.

I'm wondering whether Treviso will be an away trip - or whether they'll move it (Milan?)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

The Doc wrote:Do any of the regular travellers here have any idea whether Benetton have played big games in their home stadium or whether they move games.

I'm wondering whether Treviso will be an away trip - or whether they'll move it (Milan?)
Milan! The other side of the country! I think they will most likely play this at the Stadio Monigo. (6700 Capacity).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:

I read that as
".... they have a chunk and French guys like Machenaud, Thomas, Chavancy, Chat, Lauret, Ben Arous etc."
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Hornet wrote:
The Doc wrote:Do any of the regular travellers here have any idea whether Benetton have played big games in their home stadium or whether they move games.

Milan! The other side of the country! I think they will most likely play this at the Stadio Monigo. (6700 Capacity).
They should stay in Treviso. Very good away weekend. Can fly into proper Venice airport or Ryanair Venice Airport just outside Treviso. In the past in bad fog, flights into the latter have needed to be diverted to Milan Bergamo. 2 decent hotels in town beside each other - Continental and Carlton with the main "rugby" bar - the Celtic Pub a short walk from them. The pizzeria Da Pino in the main square - Piazza Dei Signori is decent.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

neill_m wrote:
Hornet wrote:

They should stay in Treviso. Very good away weekend. Can fly into proper Venice airport or Ryanair Venice Airport just outside Treviso. In the past in bad fog, flights into the latter have needed to be diverted to Milan Bergamo. 2 decent hotels in town beside each other - Continental and Carlton with the main "rugby" bar - the Celtic Pub a short walk from them. The pizzeria Da Pino in the main square - Piazza Dei Signori is decent.
Was in Treviso in 2010. We lost and I got soaked! Great town in itself, and a short train trip to Venice. Looking forward to going back.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I'm happy with that draw, I'd imagine the sarries fans are to. Usually its us in the group of death. Might be a problem filling the Aviva though in December.
Looking through the other groups, there really isn't anything easy.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

EPCR weekends – 2019/20 season
Round 1: 15/16/17 November 2019
Round 2: 22/23/24 November 2019
Round 3: 6/7/8 December 2019
Round 4: 13/14/15 December 2019
Round 5: 10/11/12 January 2020
Round 6: 17/18/19 January 2020
Quarter-finals: 3/4/5 April 2020
Semi-finals: 1/2/3 May 2020

So much will come down to the fixture list. That's 4 weekends out of five from mid-Nov, going straight then into our inter-pro festive games. Gonna be tough.

Lyon home and Treviso away to start must be the ideal to start. Got a feeling its gonna be the other way around though, Lyon away on the first Sunday is the fear.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Munster could get...

Away to racing on the first Sunday. Home to Ospreys the following week and back to back Sarries going into the interpros......
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Hornet wrote:Great town in itself, and a short train trip to Venice. Looking forward to going back.
You can do Padua, Venice & Verona at a stretch.

All within 90 minutes on good trains that far north.

Treviso is a grey industrial place by comparison (possibly grand by Irish standards).
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote:
footrush wrote:
wexford bohs wrote:Booked northampton for the 7/8 December as I can't see them picking anyone else for the return Aviva xmas game.

Does anyone know when the actual fixtures are being announced?

Is there also the possibility that it might be the following weekend ?.
No the game days are 6/7/8 and the week 13/14/15 Dec.

We've always had the second game in the Aviva and I'd say it's a very, very good bet it'lll be Saints.
Is that right? The home game in the back-to-backs has never been before the away one?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: Is that right? The home game in the back-to-backs has never been before the away one?
Since we've been playing one of the back to backs in the Aviva (2010 I think?) we've always played the second one at home yep.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: Is that right? The home game in the back-to-backs has never been before the away one?
Since we've been playing one of the back to backs in the Aviva (2010 I think?) we've always played the second one at home yep.
I can't think of one tbh. Although I haven't heard the Welsh complain about it, which is odd.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!