Leinster Academy 19/20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Up Wexford
Bookworm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by Up Wexford »

Does the schools U18 training squad just select from the competitors in Leinster SCT competition?

And then is it Leinster age grade development squads that can select from an island wide basket of players?

And then, what the coaches see as outstanding candidates from both these squads get selected for the Academy and into the Leinster set up proper?

Obviously this is genuine curiousity and im not being snarky, is there another Leinster representative under age set up that I'm missing?

On the Leinster instagram they had a photo of the Leinster B+I cup winning team from a few years back, Dan Leavy, Conan, Adam Byrne, James Tracey, Luke McGrath I think, that would have been some seconds team to have to come up against!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Up Wexford wrote:Does the schools U18 training squad just select from the competitors in Leinster SCT competition? Yes

And then is it Leinster age grade development squads that can select from an island wide basket of players? No they are selected from players playing in the province.

And then, what the coaches see as outstanding candidates from both these squads get selected for the Academy and into the Leinster set up proper? depends on the players age, usually a standout player will join the sub-academy after leaving school and work towards earning an academy contract.

Obviously this is genuine curiousity and im not being snarky, is there another Leinster representative under age set up that I'm missing? Leinster u18 clubs, Leinster u18 schools, Leinster u19 and Leinster U20/Development

On the Leinster instagram they had a photo of the Leinster B+I cup winning team from a few years back, Dan Leavy, Conan, Adam Byrne, James Tracey, Luke McGrath I think, that would have been some seconds team to have to come up against!
answered.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Great stuff man, Thanks!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

How would people rate Cian Prendergast? Is he a decent backrower? He's a 6 right? All information appreciated
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sunshiner1 wrote:How would people rate Cian Prendergast? Is he a decent backrower? He's a 6 right? All information appreciated
has played 6 and lock for leinster underage, probably mostly lock.

Good player & athlete.

probably a blindside at pro level.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sunshiner1 wrote:How would people rate Cian Prendergast? Is he a decent backrower? He's a 6 right? All information appreciated
Are you enquiring because he's off to Connacht?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

South East area players who made U19 training squad

Cormac McElligott(Backrow) – County Carlow FC
Barry Gray(Hooker) – County Carlow FC

Ben Popplewell(Prop) – Wexford Wanderers RFC
Louis Gainfort(Lock) – Wexford Wanderers RFC
Paul Deeny(Lock-Backrow) – Wexford Wanderers RFC

Conor Duffy(Backrow) – Tullow RFC
Jack Hanlon(Wing) – Tullow RFC
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Wexford Wanderers have put loads into development over the past few years, great to see it paying off!

No Ross men though, disaster :lol: :lol: :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rare enough to see players from New Ross in underage squads. Tough competition from GAA down there.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Confirmed club players in U19 squad:

Ben Popplewell(Prop/Wexford) - ireland u18
Oisin Michel(Prop/Cill Dara)
Barry Gray(Hooker/Carlow) - ireland u18
Dylan Lynch(Hooker/Boyne)
Louis Gainfort(Lock/Wexford)*
Ruairi Clarke(Lock/Cill Dara)
Paul Deeny(Lock-Backrow/Wexford) - ireland u18
Scott Milne(Backrow/Tullamore)*
Cormac McElligott(Backrow/Carlow)*
Conor Duffy(Backrow/Tullow) - ireland u18
Abdul Olaosebikan(Openside/Balbriggan)
Karl Martin(Centre/Boyne/Old Belvedere) - ireland u18
Aitzol King(Wing/Balbriggan) - ireland u18
Jack Hanlon(Wing/Tullow) - ireland u18

* wasn't in u18 club squad.

I'd expect at least 3 more clubs players in that squad.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 28th, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat
sunshiner1 wrote:
How would people rate Cian Prendergast? Is he a decent backrower? He's a 6 right? All information appreciated

To an extent. Connacht will only 3 locks next year. I am wondering if someone else is leaving Leinster. Also where he would play for Connacht.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Probable schools players in u19 squad:

Jack Boyle(Prop/St. Michaels)
Rory McGuire(Prop/Blackrock)
Hugh Flood(Prop/Belvedere)
Jonathan Sargent(Prop/Belvedere)
Luke McMahon(Prop/Clongowes)
Fred Happonen(Hooker/St. Gerards)
Scott Barron(Hooker/Blackrock)
Mark Morrissey(Lock/Blackrock)
Stephen Woods(Backrow/St. Michaels)
Donough Lawlor(Backrow/Newbridge)
Luke Dunleavy(Backrow/Newbridge)
Conor Duggan(Scrumhalf/Castleknock)
Oisin Devitt(Scrumhalf/Clongowes)
Michael Moloney(Scrumhalf-Outhalf/Blackrock)
Charlie Tector(Outhalf/Kilkenny)
Ben Brownlee(Centre/Blackrock)
Fionn Gibbons(Centre/Castleknock)
Ryan Strong(Centre/Kilkenny)
Shane Mallon(Back Three/Roscrea)
Simon Murphy(Back Three/Belvedere)
Dylan O'Grady(Back Three/Belvedere)
Daniel Hawkshaw(Back Three/Belvedere)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 29th, 2020, 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sunshiner1 wrote:
by LeRouxIsPHat
sunshiner1 wrote:

To an extent. Connacht will only 3 locks next year. I am wondering if someone else is leaving Leinster. Also where he would play for Connacht.
Isn't Darren O'Shea heading west?

Prendergast is headed west anyway along with Dowling both who can play lock.

No indication any other leinster players are leaving, but who knows.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

mildlyinterested wrote:Rare enough to see players from New Ross in underage squads. Tough competition from GAA down there.
Unfortunately yes, our cachement area would be the rump of south wexford and south kilkenny, players who did not get snapped up by Enniscorthy, Waterpark or Kilkenny City! Tadhg was an outlier but also credit must go to the Leinster development pathway who had him picked out from u14 level. Interestingly Walter Walsh, Kilkenny hurling full forward, all star and 2012 all ireland MOTM on his debut was an exceptional out half for Ross to u18 level. He definitely had a talent for rugby, almost casual in his approach but used to glide across the pitch and I am convinced could have made an impact at UCD and/or Leinster but if you are from Killkenny and talented there is only ever really one option :lol: :lol:

They seem to be doing superb work in Offaly at the moment, with Micheal Milne, Dooley obviously, and I think a big lump of a second row coming through aswell. This competition can only benefit Leinster and prevent the SCT system from resting on its laurels, and in turn towns cup players can learn from the SCT set up.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Tim Corkery from Kilkenny was a minor hurler for KK, I think, and has went the rugby route.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Up Wexford wrote: They seem to be doing superb work in Offaly at the moment, with Micheal Milne, Dooley obviously, and I think a big lump of a second row coming through aswell. This competition can only benefit Leinster and prevent the SCT system from resting on its laurels, and in turn towns cup players can learn from the SCT set up.
Jack Regan, son of Daithi, is at Ulster (came on as a sub against us earlier this season)
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:
Up Wexford wrote: They seem to be doing superb work in Offaly at the moment, with Micheal Milne, Dooley obviously, and I think a big lump of a second row coming through aswell. This competition can only benefit Leinster and prevent the SCT system from resting on its laurels, and in turn towns cup players can learn from the SCT set up.
Jack Regan, son of Daithi, is at Ulster (came on as a sub against us earlier this season)
Not anymore, was released by them and is in NZ to play rugby for the summer.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Add Ruairi Clarke(Lock/Cill Dara) and Oisin Michel(Prop/Cill Dara) to U19 club list.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Heard from a good few people that Rob Russell and Ronan Waters are already in year 1 academy since the start of the season
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123 wrote:Heard from a good few people that Rob Russell and Ronan Waters are already in year 1 academy since the start of the season
Add Cormac Foley & Andrew Smith to that list.

Suppose we will see whenever contracts are announced.