Leinster Academy 19/20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Locked
mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Purist98 wrote: What do you think a possible u18 schools side would look like?
no clue, who knows if there even will be a underage interpros this summer, I doubt it's feasible at this stage.

Three players I'd expect to be involved if there was one Sam Prendergast(10), Fintan Gunne(9), Lucas Berti Newman(12/13).
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 7th, 2020, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Athy RFC announced ex underage player Aaron Rowan(Blackrock) made irish and leinster training squads. Played 8 for Rock this season, played LH prop last SCT campaign.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster U20 lock Cormac Izuchukwu joining Ulster academy. Surprising, they are taking a chance on his athletic potential.

User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
Posts: 1832
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster U20 lock Cormac Izuchukwu joining Ulster academy. Surprising, they are taking a chance on his athletic potential.
Do you think we're missing out Mildly?

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster U20 lock Cormac Izuchukwu joining Ulster academy. Surprising, they are taking a chance on his athletic potential.
Do you think we're missing out Mildly?
No, he has a lot of athletic ability but he is well down the pecking order in terms of ability for leinster when it comes to locks.

User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5406
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster U20 lock Cormac Izuchukwu joining Ulster academy. Surprising, they are taking a chance on his athletic potential.
He's an impressive athlete - here's a good try he scored for the Sevens last year: https://www.world.rugby/worldrugbytv/vi ... 70?lang=en

I think it's a good move for him and for Ulster. Realistically, he's looking at James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Jack Dunne, Charlie Ryan [not to mention Ross Molony] ahead of him in the Leinster playing pool at lock. It's really hard to see where there would be any gametime for him here in the next 1-3 years.

Personally speaking, I think he will develop as a blindside rather than a second row. I think it plays to his strengths as a runner. That Ulster second row is pretty solid at the moment as well - Henderson, Sam Carter, Treadwell [who plays loads of games for them - he averaged 24 appearances/season in his first three years] and Alan O'Connor, who is another guy who plays loads of matches for them, then Dinky Dalton and another Leinster man Jack Regan in the academy, both of whom have a couple of years on him in terms of experience.

Even if we were looking at him on the blindside, Alex Soroka [U20s profile: https://www.irishrugby.ie/u20/alex-soroka/] was so impressive for Ireland U20s as a 196cm/100kg 18/19 year old this season. From the example of his brother Ivan's build and strength, I can see him filling out to be an almost Stephen Ferris-esque blindside.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster U20 lock Cormac Izuchukwu joining Ulster academy. Surprising, they are taking a chance on his athletic potential.
He's an impressive athlete - here's a good try he scored for the Sevens last year: https://www.world.rugby/worldrugbytv/vi ... 70?lang=en

I think it's a good move for him and for Ulster. Realistically, he's looking at James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Jack Dunne, Charlie Ryan [not to mention Ross Molony] ahead of him in the Leinster playing pool at lock. It's really hard to see where there would be any gametime for him here in the next 1-3 years.

Personally speaking, I think he will develop as a blindside rather than a second row. I think it plays to his strengths as a runner. That Ulster second row is pretty solid at the moment as well - Henderson, Sam Carter, Treadwell [who plays loads of games for them - he averaged 24 appearances/season in his first three years] and Alan O'Connor, who is another guy who plays loads of matches for them, then Dinky Dalton and another Leinster man Jack Regan in the academy, both of whom have a couple of years on him in terms of experience.

Even if we were looking at him on the blindside, Alex Soroka [U20s profile: https://www.irishrugby.ie/u20/alex-soroka/] was so impressive for Ireland U20s as a 196cm/100kg 18/19 year old this season. From the example of his brother Ivan's build and strength, I can see him filling out to be an almost Stephen Ferris-esque blindside.
Izuchukwu was behind both leinster Irish 20's locks also in Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy. He didn't have a leinster offer on the table, ulster have taken a punt on him but i'd be surprised if he made it up north.

Dalton and Regan have been released by Ulster, Regan is in NZ to play rugby this summer. So he will get opportunities as the only lock in the academy.

Alex Soroka(6'5/100kg) is a big time prospect at 6 for sure. Would expect to see him join leinster academy this summer, whenever its announced. Along with the new Sean O'Brien(6'4/100kg) as a versatile BR and Joe McCarthy(6'6/108kg) as a TH lock.

User avatar
neiliog93
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4002
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by neiliog93 »

I'd love Irish rugby to have a bit of vision and try Izuchukwu on the wing. Buckets of pace and agility as seen in 7s, would be a bit like Eto Nabuli (6'6" rangy Fijian winger who played for Australia twice and now Bordeaux).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Not going to happen at Ulster anyway.

User avatar
neiliog93
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4002
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by neiliog93 »

I also think Irish rugby could do with mean,heavy, meaty unit of a tight-head second row. I'd almost sacrifice some of one young player's agility/stamina to get him as big as possible, to give us more range options as regards the 'type' of second rows we have. Get Jack Dunne or another one of them who are 6'7"+ up to 120kg and have them as an enforcer.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5406
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Izuchukwu was behind both leinster Irish 20's locks also in Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy. He didn't have a leinster offer on the table, ulster have taken a punt on him but i'd be surprised if he made it up north.

Dalton and Regan have been released by Ulster, Regan is in NZ to play rugby this summer. So he will get opportunities as the only lock in the academy.

Alex Soroka(6'5/100kg) is a big time prospect at 6 for sure. Would expect to see him join leinster academy this summer, whenever its announced. Along with the new Sean O'Brien(6'4/100kg) as a versatile BR and Joe McCarthy(6'6/108kg) as a TH lock.
Don't know how I forgot Deeny. Really like him as a player. He gets through a hell of a lot of work for such a big man. Reminds me of a row called Pat Holden who was from Kilkenny but played for Terenure and Leinster in the 1990s. Honest as the day as long and a tough nut to crack.

Joe McCarthy was the big kid who came on as a sub a few times, wasn't he? Big strong lump of a lad. Just looked him up, didn't realise he was U19. He is going to be a big unit!

I expect Smith to come into the academy as a wing, an out-and-out wing. Maybe Chris Cosgrave at fullback and Ben Murphy at scrum-half, although it makes as much sense to give them a year in the sub-academy first. Scrum-half is still a big need for us. It was a total wash of a season for Hugh O'Sullivan - 92 mins of gametime. The year just passed him by, impossible to see if there's any progress there.

I'd say Murphy's rugby IQ is as good as you're going to get from a player his age – not only is his dad a test level coach, he was a really, really smart player. So much of good scrum-half play is making good decisions.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

neiliog93 wrote:I also think Irish rugby could do with mean,heavy, meaty unit of a tight-head second row. I'd almost sacrifice some of one young player's agility/stamina to get him as big as possible, to give us more range options as regards the 'type' of second rows we have. Get Jack Dunne or another one of them who are 6'7"+ up to 120kg and have them as an enforcer.
I presume thats the hope with Dunne or CRyan. Both still very young for locks and naturally filling out. Although unsure if either play with that edge.

Joe McCarthy could be a candidate down the line.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 12th, 2020, 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Izuchukwu was behind both leinster Irish 20's locks also in Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy. He didn't have a leinster offer on the table, ulster have taken a punt on him but i'd be surprised if he made it up north.

Dalton and Regan have been released by Ulster, Regan is in NZ to play rugby this summer. So he will get opportunities as the only lock in the academy.

Alex Soroka(6'5/100kg) is a big time prospect at 6 for sure. Would expect to see him join leinster academy this summer, whenever its announced. Along with the new Sean O'Brien(6'4/100kg) as a versatile BR and Joe McCarthy(6'6/108kg) as a TH lock.
Don't know how I forgot Deeny. Really like him as a player. He gets through a hell of a lot of work for such a big man. Reminds me of a row called Pat Holden who was from Kilkenny but played for Terenure and Leinster in the 1990s. Honest as the day as long and a tough nut to crack.

Joe McCarthy was the big kid who came on as a sub a few times, wasn't he? Big strong lump of a lad. Just looked him up, didn't realise he was U19. He is going to be a big unit!

I expect Smith to come into the academy as a wing, an out-and-out wing. Maybe Chris Cosgrave at fullback and Ben Murphy at scrum-half, although it makes as much sense to give them a year in the sub-academy first. Scrum-half is still a big need for us. It was a total wash of a season for Hugh O'Sullivan - 92 mins of gametime. The year just passed him by, impossible to see if there's any progress there.

I'd say Murphy's rugby IQ is as good as you're going to get from a player his age – not only is his dad a test level coach, he was a really, really smart player. So much of good scrum-half play is making good decisions.
Hopefully HOS learned a lot from getting significant game time at 9 playing AIL. Don't rate Murphy as anything special, need to see a lot more from him to convince me he isn't where he is because of his father. We shall see.

Hard to see anyone joining full academy straight from school given covid situation. Or at least not being announced officially. Cosgrave being the obvious player to do it along with Jack Boyle, tho Boyles youth probably being a factor against it happening for him.

Possible Academy class:
Marcus Hanan or Charlie Ward(LH Prop)
John McKee or Bobby Sheehan(Hooker)
Joe McCarthy(Lock)
Alex Soroka(Lock-Blindside)
Sean O'Brien(Backrow)
Mark Hernan(Openside)
Andrew Smith(Wing)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 12th, 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sub Academy Prospects front row:

LH Prop
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock)
Aaron Rowan(Blackrock)
Temi Lasisi(Enniscorthy RFC.Lansdowne)
James Power(St. Michaels)
Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - u19
Ben Popplewell(Wexford RFC) - u19

TH Prop
Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
Ben Griffin(Castleknock)

Hooker
Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
Ronan Loughnane(Roscrea/UCD)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure/Terenure)
Callum Dowling(Clongowes)
Hugo Fitzgerald(Gonzaga)
Barry Gray(Carlow RFC) - u19
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 13th, 2020, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Izuchukwu was behind both leinster Irish 20's locks also in Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy. He didn't have a leinster offer on the table, ulster have taken a punt on him but i'd be surprised if he made it up north.

Dalton and Regan have been released by Ulster, Regan is in NZ to play rugby this summer. So he will get opportunities as the only lock in the academy.

Alex Soroka(6'5/100kg) is a big time prospect at 6 for sure. Would expect to see him join leinster academy this summer, whenever its announced. Along with the new Sean O'Brien(6'4/100kg) as a versatile BR and Joe McCarthy(6'6/108kg) as a TH lock.
Don't know how I forgot Deeny. Really like him as a player. He gets through a hell of a lot of work for such a big man. Reminds me of a row called Pat Holden who was from Kilkenny but played for Terenure and Leinster in the 1990s. Honest as the day as long and a tough nut to crack.

Joe McCarthy was the big kid who came on as a sub a few times, wasn't he? Big strong lump of a lad. Just looked him up, didn't realise he was U19. He is going to be a big unit!

I expect Smith to come into the academy as a wing, an out-and-out wing. Maybe Chris Cosgrave at fullback and Ben Murphy at scrum-half, although it makes as much sense to give them a year in the sub-academy first. Scrum-half is still a big need for us. It was a total wash of a season for Hugh O'Sullivan - 92 mins of gametime. The year just passed him by, impossible to see if there's any progress there.

I'd say Murphy's rugby IQ is as good as you're going to get from a player his age – not only is his dad a test level coach, he was a really, really smart player. So much of good scrum-half play is making good decisions.
Hopefully HOS learned a lot from getting significant game time at 9 playing AIL. Don't rate Murphy as anything special, need to see a lot more from him to convince me he isn't where he is because of his father. We shall see.

Hard to see anyone joining full academy straight from school given covid situation. Or at least not being announced officially. Cosgrave being the obvious player to do it along with Jack Boyle, tho Boyles youth probably being a factor against it happening for him.

Possible Academy class:
Marcus Hanan or Charlie Ward(LH Prop)
John McKee or Bobby Sheehan(Hooker)
Joe McCarthy(Lock)
Alex Soroka(Lock-Blindside)
Sean O'Brien(Backrow)
Mark Hernan(Openside)
Andrew Smith(Wing)
I’d thought Cosgrave has been a guarantee for an academy place straight from school since day one? He’s a terrific player and seems to be ready for it, I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get an academy contract this summer
Last edited by Pilotman123 on May 12th, 2020, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by Pilotman123 »

neiliog93 wrote:I also think Irish rugby could do with mean,heavy, meaty unit of a tight-head second row. I'd almost sacrifice some of one young player's agility/stamina to get him as big as possible, to give us more range options as regards the 'type' of second rows we have. Get Jack Dunne or another one of them who are 6'7"+ up to 120kg and have them as an enforcer.
Would be hard for them to bulk up to 120kg considering the amount of fitness Leinster do, there’s no point being 120kg if you’re not fit enough, work rate is more important

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Pilotman123 wrote: I’d thought Cosgrave has been a guarantee for an academy place straight from school since day one? He’s a terrific player and seems to be ready for it, I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get an academy contract this summer
As I said the covid situation may affect when they announce academy and if they announce any players joining straight from school. We shall wait and see, when it gets announced.

Ayewserious
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: July 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by Ayewserious »

mildlyinterested wrote:Sub Academy Prospects front row:

Prop
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock)
Aaron Rowan(Blackrock)
Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - u19
Ben Popplewell(Wexford RFC) - u19
Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
Temi Lasisi(Enniscorthy RFC.Lansdowne)
Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
James Power(St. Michaels)

Hooker
Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
Ronan Loughnane(Roscrea/UCD)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure/Terenure)
Callum Dowling(Clongowes)
Hugo Fitzgerald(Gonzaga)
Barry Gray(Carlow RFC) - u19
Ben Griffin? Was in the Ireland u19 squad

Ayewserious
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: July 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by Ayewserious »

mildlyinterested wrote:Sub Academy Prospects front row:

Prop
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock)
Aaron Rowan(Blackrock)
Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - u19
Ben Popplewell(Wexford RFC) - u19
Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
Temi Lasisi(Enniscorthy RFC.Lansdowne)
Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
James Power(St. Michaels)

Hooker
Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
Ronan Loughnane(Roscrea/UCD)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure/Terenure)
Callum Dowling(Clongowes)
Hugo Fitzgerald(Gonzaga)
Barry Gray(Carlow RFC) - u19
Ben Griffin? Was in the Ireland u19 squad

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5771
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ayewserious wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Sub Academy Prospects front row:

Prop
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock)
Aaron Rowan(Blackrock)
Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - u19
Ben Popplewell(Wexford RFC) - u19
Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
Temi Lasisi(Enniscorthy RFC.Lansdowne)
Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
James Power(St. Michaels)

Hooker
Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
Ronan Loughnane(Roscrea/UCD)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure/Terenure)
Callum Dowling(Clongowes)
Hugo Fitzgerald(Gonzaga)
Barry Gray(Carlow RFC) - u19
Ben Griffin? Was in the Ireland u19 squad
Forgot about him, add him to the list.

Locked