Celtic Cup 19/20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

CELTIC CUP FIXTURES

Aug 23 – 25

Cardiff Blues v Leinster
Munster v Ospreys
Scarlets v Ulster
Connacht v Dragons

Aug 30 – Sep 1
Leinster v Scarlets

Dragons v Munster
Ulster v Cardiff Blues
Ospreys v Connacht

Sept 6 – 8
Munster v Leinster

Ulster v Connacht
Cardiff Blues v Dragons
Scarlets v Ospreys

Sept 13 – 15
Connacht v Munster
Leinster v Ulster
Dragons v Scarlets
Ospreys v Cardiff Blues

Sept 20 – 22
Ospreys v Leinster

Munster v Cardiff Blues
Dragons v Ulster
Connacht v Scarlets



Sept 27 – 29
Leinster v Dragons

Scarlets v Munster
Ulster v Ospreys
Cardiff Blues v Connacht

Oct 4 – 6

Connacht v Leinster

Ulster v Munster
Cardiff Blues v Scarlets
Dragons v Ospreys

Saturday, Oct 12 
Final

Workhorse
Bookworm
Posts: 119
Joined: December 24th, 2017, 12:59 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by Workhorse »

Surely it would have made more sense to have this later in the season? AIL teams are going to be absolutely decimated. The Irish teams are going all be sub academy with a few academy lads.

Dundalk 1
Bookworm
Posts: 131
Joined: January 28th, 2014, 12:16 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Workhorse wrote:Surely it would have made more sense to have this later in the season? AIL teams are going to be absolutely decimated. The Irish teams are going all be sub academy with a few academy lads.

Given that the Pro 14 season doesn’t start this year until near the end of September it could mean that these games are used for tuning up for that instead of friendlies so we may see stronger teams for the first few weeks

And even if it is guys down the pecking order that play it’s a great opportunity for them to put their hands up for selection

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

So the first game occurs when the senior team is in canada, so I'd expect that team to be almost completely an under-20 side with possibly some JWC returnees.

Possible side:
1. Harry Noonan(Greystones/Old Wesley)
2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
3. Charlie Ward(Tullow/Clontarf)
4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
5. Sean O'Brien(Blackrock/???)
6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels/???)
8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock/???)
9. Jack Connolly(Gonzaga/???)
10. Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow/Old Wesley)
11. Niall Comerford(Blackrock/???)
12. Mick O'Gara(Pres Bray/???)
13. Luis Faria(Wanderers/DUFC)
14. Andrew Smith(St. Michaels/???)
15. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown/???)

User avatar
rooster
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3299
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by rooster »

mildlyinterested wrote:So the first game occurs when the senior team is in canada, so I'd expect that team to be almost completely an under-20 side with possibly some JWC returnees.

Possible side:
1. Harry Noonan(Greystones/Old Wesley)
2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
3. Charlie Ward(Tullow/Clontarf)
4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
5. Sean O'Brien(Blackrock/???)
6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels/???)
8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock/???)
9. Jack Connolly(Gonzaga/???)
10. Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow/Old Wesley)
11. Niall Comerford(Blackrock/???)
12. Mick O'Gara(Pres Bray/???)
13. Luis Faria(Wanderers/DUFC)
14. Andrew Smith(St. Michaels/???)
15. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown/???)
From what I heard when this was being arranged it is only for A side and academy players anyway with no first team members allowed

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

rooster wrote:From what I heard when this was being arranged it is only for A side and academy players anyway with no first team members allowed
well the senior squad traveling to Canada will consist of a lot of A/Academy players due to the world cup... meaning the A side for the celtic cup will be mostly 1st year academy players and sub-academy players.

leinsterforever
Mullet
Posts: 1254
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by leinsterforever »

How many will they take to Canada, though? Around 30 maybe? There could be a few senior squad or academy backs knocking around.

Even if there aren't would the likes of David Ryan and Adam la Grue not be more likely than O'Gara and Faria?

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

leinsterforever wrote:How many will they take to Canada, though? Around 30 maybe? There could be a few senior squad or academy backs knocking around.

Even if there aren't would the likes of David Ryan and Adam la Grue not be more likely than O'Gara and Faria?
O'Gara and Faria are better prospects than Ryan, who chance has passed.

La Grue could be involved, it's unlikely to be a full under-20 team but the majority of it will be players U20 IMO.

User avatar
rooster
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3299
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by rooster »

mildlyinterested wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:How many will they take to Canada, though? Around 30 maybe? There could be a few senior squad or academy backs knocking around.

Even if there aren't would the likes of David Ryan and Adam la Grue not be more likely than O'Gara and Faria?
O'Gara and Faria are better prospects than Ryan, who chance has passed.

La Grue could be involved, it's unlikely to be a full under-20 team but the majority of it will be players U20 IMO.
That is the basis for this competition, it is to gain a higher level of rugby for young lads and see what they are made of, winning is not everything in it but performance and attitude is and that is what coaches will focus on.

leinsterforever
Mullet
Posts: 1254
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by leinsterforever »

Adam Byrne, David Kearney, Mick Kearney, Ian Nagle and Noel Reid played in it last time, so we could see some senior players if they need the gametime or maybe need to get used to a new position (Reid at 10 last year).

It would be interesting to see some of the 7s lads get a crack if they needed a few bodies. Billy Dardis, Ian Fitzpatrick and Mick McGrath as a back three, anyone? Probably unlikely, but I think one of the strengths of NZ rugby is that there's a path back to the top for guys maybe in their mid twenties who missed the boat for one reason or another earlier in their careers. That probably doesn't happen much in Ireland. Barry Daly broke the mould a bit.

What's Tommy O'Brien's injury status? It would be good for him to play in this.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

TOB is healthy afaik.

Workhorse
Bookworm
Posts: 119
Joined: December 24th, 2017, 12:59 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by Workhorse »

leinsterforever wrote: It would be interesting to see some of the 7s lads get a crack if they needed a few bodies. Billy Dardis, Ian Fitzpatrick and Mick McGrath as a back three, anyone? Probably unlikely, but I think one of the strengths of NZ rugby is that there's a path back to the top for guys maybe in their mid twenties who missed the boat for one reason or another earlier in their careers. That probably doesn't happen much in Ireland. Barry Daly broke the mould a bit.
Would like to see Dardis at 9 actually, bit of a wildcard shout but it'd be interesting, especially with this 50/22 law coming it seems, him and Hughie can really have an advantage there.

Since they're on development contracts you'd hope that means there's some sort of route to 15s but that could just be the IRFU being cheap again.

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Workhorse wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: It would be interesting to see some of the 7s lads get a crack if they needed a few bodies. Billy Dardis, Ian Fitzpatrick and Mick McGrath as a back three, anyone? Probably unlikely, but I think one of the strengths of NZ rugby is that there's a path back to the top for guys maybe in their mid twenties who missed the boat for one reason or another earlier in their careers. That probably doesn't happen much in Ireland. Barry Daly broke the mould a bit.
Would like to see Dardis at 9 actually, bit of a wildcard shout but it'd be interesting, especially with this 50/22 law coming it seems, him and Hughie can really have an advantage there.

Since they're on development contracts you'd hope that means there's some sort of route to 15s but that could just be the IRFU being cheap again.
Why?

Playing 9 at 7's is different ball game to play 9 at 15's.

User avatar
cormac
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5812
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by cormac »

Only just noticed that there's seven rounds this season instead of six last year.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish

User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
Posts: 18380
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by johng »

Yeah. All of the other conference and all of our own. I think last year we didn't get to play Connacht.

scentofgunpowder
Bookworm
Posts: 134
Joined: April 15th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by scentofgunpowder »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Workhorse wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: It would be interesting to see some of the 7s lads get a crack if they needed a few bodies. Billy Dardis, Ian Fitzpatrick and Mick McGrath as a back three, anyone? Probably unlikely, but I think one of the strengths of NZ rugby is that there's a path back to the top for guys maybe in their mid twenties who missed the boat for one reason or another earlier in their careers. That probably doesn't happen much in Ireland. Barry Daly broke the mould a bit.
Would like to see Dardis at 9 actually, bit of a wildcard shout but it'd be interesting, especially with this 50/22 law coming it seems, him and Hughie can really have an advantage there.

Since they're on development contracts you'd hope that means there's some sort of route to 15s but that could just be the IRFU being cheap again.
Why?

Playing 9 at 7's is different ball game to play 9 at 15's.
Maybe he's assuming that teams will be using their 9s in the backfield to cover kicks.

Workhorse
Bookworm
Posts: 119
Joined: December 24th, 2017, 12:59 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by Workhorse »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Why?

Playing 9 at 7's is different ball game to play 9 at 15's.
Exactly as said below if you basically have two full backs with the is new law that's huge as it means you can have just two back instead of 2/3 and it also means that in theory your backfield cover is better as in theory fullbacks are better at it than wingers, and it's very different playing 9 in 15s and 7s yes but there are similarities and Dardis has said he would like to give it a try so why not give him some A games? If it doesn't work worst case scenario he goes to 15

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Celtic Cup starts this weekend:

Connacht Eagles V Dragons A, Friday 2pm
Munster A V Ospreys A, Friday 7.30pm
Cardiff A V Leinster A, Saturday 2.30pm
Scarlets A v Ulster A, Saturday 2.30pm
Last edited by mildlyinterested on August 19th, 2019, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
Posts: 1740
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:Celtic Cup starts this weekend:

Connacht Eagles V Dragons A, Friday 2pm
Munster A V Ospreys A, Friday 7.30pm
Cardiff A V Leinster A, Saturday 2.30pm
Scarlets A v Munster A, Saturday 2.30pm
I'm guessing one of them Munster teams is actually Ulster.

Otherwise that's just unfair :lol:

mildlyinterested
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5432
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Celtic Cup starts this weekend:

Connacht Eagles V Dragons A, Friday 2pm
Munster A V Ospreys A, Friday 7.30pm
Cardiff A V Leinster A, Saturday 2.30pm
Scarlets A v Munster A, Saturday 2.30pm
I'm guessing one of them Munster teams is actually Ulster.

Otherwise that's just unfair :lol:
:clap:

Post Reply