Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

Post by Pilotman123 »

Another thing I don’t like is the way we have JGP and we have Leinster grown scumhalves who dreamed of playing for Leinster all their life and then a kiwi like JGP comes in... I thought this would of been a great opportunity during the World Cup to develop Hughie and Patterson
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Cian Kelleher was water boy last week. Strange that he hasn't had a look in yet.
Plus one on this. Always thought Keenan would be a future 15 for us (although Kelly and JOB made me think twice).
Hard to see why Kelleher was brought back to be a water boy. It will p1$$ off all those involved.
I know he's played 7s but I was surprised to see how quick Keenan was when he chased the kick down the middle last week, really didn't think he had that kind of pace.
He was pretty sh!t hot in the u20 world cup. Or, at least, in my recollection, he was.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

This defeats the whole purpose of an academy if you’re going to bring in foreign players , we have four players who aren’t Irish starting this weekend..
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote:Didn't realise they'd signed another Fijian backrower.

Backs look good but our pack should have more than enough for theirs on paper.
I think the flankers lack physicality. I'm not a fan of Deegan at 6 at all and I'd much prefer to see a proper blindside in Murphy in there.

Are they playing the long game with Deegan? - trying to get him to improve the nitty-gritty stuff, and getting him comfortable in all three positions so he can bench in Europe? I hope that's it and he's ultimately going to end up at 8 and not be viewed as a 6 long term.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

leinsterforever wrote:

I think the flankers lack physicality. I'm not a fan of Deegan at 6 at all and I'd much prefer to see a proper blindside in Murphy in there.

Are they playing the long game with Deegan? - trying to get him to improve the nitty-gritty stuff, and getting him comfortable in all three positions so he can bench in Europe? I hope that's it and he's ultimately going to end up at 8 and not be viewed as a 6 long term.
Scott Penny is 5’11 and only 100kg
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Penny is taller and heavier than Michael Hooper. He manages to do okay.
I have Bumbleflex
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Penny is taller and heavier than Michael Hooper. He manages to do okay.
I know, my point is that size and weight doesn’t matter It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Penny is taller and heavier than Michael Hooper. He manages to do okay.
I know, my point is that size and weight doesn’t matter It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog
Ah, gotcha. Agree entirely
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pilotman123 wrote:This defeats the whole purpose of an academy if you’re going to bring in foreign players , we have four players who aren’t Irish starting this weekend..
I assume this is a piss take?!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Pilotman123 wrote:This defeats the whole purpose of an academy if you’re going to bring in foreign players , we have four players who aren’t Irish starting this weekend..
Steady on Luke ;)

JGP is IQ and a better player than all of the other options we currently have. RWC might be a good window for a lot of players, but we still need to rack up the results
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Good to see Rowan Osborne with more opportunity. Am keen to get a look at his kicking game and possibly see if he has a running aspect too. His pass looks to be better than Pattersons and possibly HOS also.

No Cian again nearly seems like Leo is sending out a "you might be back but you'll be fighting extra hard for your place" kind of message.

Good to see Keenan getting all these minutes. Not as much a second playmaker as JOB but seems to have the full box of tricks
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Pilotman123 wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

Scott Penny is 5’11 and only 100kg
Fine for an openside ...as long as he's paired with a blindside who has the requisite uncompromising physicality.

I'm actually a fan of dimorphism between the flankers - helps to give clarity about who should be doing what so you get better balance to the br.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not saying this is the case with Cian (or any others) but its worth bearing in mind that players can be injured and Leinster Rugby may not be in the position to say that they're injured.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Cian and others have been pictured training and leinster have reported injuries, so not sure why they'd report some injuries and not others.

Kelleher, COB etc. are healthy, just not selected unfortunately.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Monday

In a few other photos too. But, with the jumper on, will confirm the training photo sleuth theories.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

senior players not selected in this three game block:

Ed Byrne - injured
Bryan Byrne
Cian Kelleher
Dan Leavy - injured
Ciaran Frawley - injured
Barry Daly - injured

1 appearance
Conor O'Brien
Adam Byrne
Fergus McFadden
Hugh O'Sullivan
Scott Penny
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:Cian and others have been pictured training and leinster have reported injuries, so not sure why they'd report some injuries and not others.

Kelleher, COB etc. are healthy, just not selected unfortunately.
Each individual player has to explicitly consent to information about each individual injury being made public on a player by player, injury by injury basis. Leinster Rugby have no choice in the matter whatsoever. (personally, if I were a player, I would never consent to any information about any injury being made public - there are career and insurance implications for example)

Being pictured running around with a ball at training doesn't mean you're fit for rugby.
I have Bumbleflex
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Steady on Luke ;)

JGP is IQ and a better player than all of the other options we currently have. RWC might be a good window for a lot of players, but we still need to rack up the results
Just because he’s had a holiday in Ireland for three years doesn’t make him Irish!!! There’s players who dreamed about playing for Ireland since they were a kid and then a New Zealand reject comes here and takes there place. JGP is Not Irish
Patterson and HOS wouldn’t make us lose games don’t give me that rubbish saying we need to rack up the results we’ve the best academy in the world filled with fantastic players
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

O'Sullivan and Patterson don't deserve to play for leinster just because they dreamed of doing it when they were young... plus they are also behind an irish player in Osborne.

They need to improve, simple as.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

wixfjord wrote:
I assume this is a piss take?!
Oh so you’re telling me you’d be fine if Leinster turned into a Man City having loads of foreign players winning trophies with no players in the team being from Leinster? It’s not like we have a bad academy, we have the best academy in the world with fantastic players we don’t need any foreign players who aren’t Irish. All you care about is the winning but you couldn’t care less if our whole team was from New Zealand as long as Leinster are winning....shame on you