Pro14 R6: Connacht v Leinster Fri Nov 8 KO 7:35 EIR/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Pro14 R6: Connacht v Leinster Fri Nov 8 KO 7:35 EIR/TG4

Post by cormac »

Always have the impression that we usually struggle in the first match where we start integrating the internationals back into the matchday squad but I'm guessing we'll see a few of them reappear here as they'll be needed for the following two weeks. Not so much of an issue for Connacht, of course, which makes this an even trickier encounter than it normally would be.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro14 R6: Connacht v Leinster Fri Nov 8 KO 7:35 EIR/TG4

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... he-season/

No injuries picked up on Friday night. Hugo Keenan and Ed Byrne are back available for selection.

McFadden, Cronin, Conan, Daly and Leavy unavailable.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Only internationals I can see playing are McGrath, Henshaw and Ruddock. And even then I'm not so sure, maybe bench?

Possible team:

Dooley, Kelleher, Bent
Fardy, Toner
Doris, Deegan, Penny
JGP, Ross
Tomane, ROL
Lowe, Keenan, Kearney
Tracy, Ed, Vakh, Molony, Ruddock, McGrath, Harry, Henshaw

Connacht are a settled side playing very good rugby and will be at home (likely in the wind and rain)

They are very happy to play without the ball. They scored 3 points in the second half against Ospreys but never looked out of control. Were more than happy to keep them in their half and have them try come at them.

Word is that Aki will be back. But even if he isn't, the partnership between Robb and Farrell is incredibly effective. Both creative and capable players with Robb a frightening specimen going forwards. Very hard to stop.

Very good pack playing tightly as a unit. They're very adept at getting very clean ball so Fardy will need to be at his shitehouse best to disrupt everything
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really haven't a clue what team we're going to pick this week and whether or not it has much bearing on next week. I struggle to see Henshaw and Ringrose starting, but could they really start next week if they don't? The Tomane/ROL selections have had a whiff of European preparation off them IMO.

That kind of situation is repeated across the team really. The back row will be interesting as well for the next couple of games, and I wonder if Baird could end up benching next week. Probably not but his chances increase if Fardy ends up at 6. Right now I wouldn't say that Deegan or Doris are putting their hands up for selection so would happily go with a back row of Fardy, Josh, and Rhys for the Benetton game and then have Baird and Penny/Connors on the bench.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A pertinent question to selection for the next few weeks.
When do/did the returnees from the RWC start training with the Leinster squad?
With a view to the Lyon away match and then the quick lead in to the Northampton matches.
You'd have to think some of them will be in the 23 for this weekend and a few more the following week.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschool wrote:A pertinent question to selection for the next few weeks.
When do/did the returnees from the RWC start training with the Leinster squad?
With a view to the Lyon away match and then the quick lead in to the Northampton matches.
You'd have to think some of them will be in the 23 for this weekend and a few more the following week.
They started training today.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775431590/
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'd say the likes of Porter, Cronin and Ruddock are chomping at the bit to get back playing.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:I'd say the likes of Porter, Cronin and Ruddock are chomping at the bit to get back playing.
But the others all hate rugby and never want to play again?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:I'd say the likes of Porter, Cronin and Ruddock are chomping at the bit to get back playing.
Thanks Cormac.
+1 PL and probably Healy, Sexton, Larmour and Ringrose on the bench in preparation for the Benetton game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on previous experience, although each RWC has a different impact, the guys who felt the 'down' most are the ones who want to get back on the horse soonest and use their 'match fitness' to greatest effect. There will have been individual and small group discussions with the Coaching Team, who each possess huge experience if this re-integration process.

However, if you'd been in Dublin today from about 11.30 a.m. with low gray skies and thunderous rain, you'd have needed the prospect of a game at the weekend to keep you sane.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Based on previous experience, although each RWC has a different impact, the guys who felt the 'down' most are the ones who want to get back on the horse soonest and use their 'match fitness' to greatest effect. There will have been individual and small group discussions with the Coaching Team, who each possess huge experience if this re-integration process.

However, if you'd been in Dublin today from about 11.30 a.m. with low gray skies and thunderous rain, you'd have needed the prospect of a game at the weekend to keep you sane.
A game in nice, dry and windless Galway sounds like just the job. The optimists have it.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

No sign of Cronin in the training pics - all the rest (except Conan obviously) are there
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
But the others all hate rugby and never want to play again?
Ha, when you put it like that my comment looks ridiculous. My assumption is antithetical to what rtb has described above. I would have expected the rwc bench warmers who feel that, given the opportunity, they could have made more of an impact would be the ones busting to get out and play.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sorry, didn't meant to sound snarky, meant it as a joke because I've been assuming that some of the players will be so pissed off about Japan that they don't want to see a rugby ball any time soon.

I realise they're more competitive than LRIP from the internet but...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pics look like most of the internationals are back.

Luke M, Porter, Larmour, Ringer, RH, Healy, RK, KVDF, Ryan, Sexton, Furlong, Rhys all there as far as I can see.

With that in mind maybe we will see a good few guys thrown back in on Friday.

Wouldn't mind a mix, something like:

Dooley, RK, Furlong, Toner, Fardy, Rhys, VDF, Doris, JGP, Johnny, Lowe, Henshaw, ROL, Byrne, Larmour
Healy, Tracy, Porter, Molony, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Tomane

I think that might be our 6-10 for Europe so would be good to see that getting a run out.

Not sure Ringer or Ryan need too much time to get up to speed so would leave them at home.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah, doesn’t look like they’ll be back this week according to this - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 5?mode=amp

Also says Sexton is likelier to be back for Lyon not Treviso.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Xanthippe wrote:No sign of Cronin in the training pics - all the rest (except Conan obviously) are there
De papers yesterday were saying he has a neck injury that will keep him out for a few weeks: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 58773.html
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

At a guess I think they may give the team that is to be involved in the Euro games a two week block now to concentrate solely on that and not need to prep for the Conn game.

The team for Conn will probably be made up of the same guys we've been using thus far (less the likes of Toner and Fardy who will be involved in Europe).

The down side to to that is, if we turn up in Galway with a young inexperienced side against a fully locked and loaded Conn who are doing there own prep for Europe, we might just get a paddling :shock:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Yeah I agree with that. We've already put ourselves clear at the top of the conference and are facing into a relentless bloc that continues up to the 6N. This game might be treated as expendable, unfortunately
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Connacht Rugby v Leinster Rugby – KO 19:35

The Sportsground, Galway

Referee: Sean Gallagher (IRFU, 17th Championship Appearance)
AR1: Johnny Erskine (IRFU), AR2: Mark Patton (IRFU)
TMO: Leo Colgan (IRFU)

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre ... J1lmHyq.99