HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It'll be interesting (for me at least :lol: ) to see the approach that the Leinster coaches take to selection compared to what Joe did with Ireland this year. I know it's a different level but I feel like Leo and Lancaster will trust the non first choice guys more.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I think a really tough one would be for a guy like Bent not to make the 23, he has been brilliant for us but ultimately how do you leave out Porter and Furlong. As a fan favourite I want Bent involved after his start to the season but I just can't see it.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:I think a really tough one would be for a guy like Bent not to make the 23, he has been brilliant for us but ultimately how do you leave out Porter and Furlong. As a fan favourite I want Bent involved after his start to the season but I just can't see it.
He's also a try scoring machine these days!

For me it's not just about rewarding form or trying to get more cohesion by not dropping everyone back in at the same time, it's also an acknowledgement that we have a lot of games on the bounce, so I'd select two mix and match teams over the next two games but that's with the intention of being ready to go full tilt for round three and four and not giving any of the internationals two weeks off over Christmas.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
OTT wrote:I think a really tough one would be for a guy like Bent not to make the 23, he has been brilliant for us but ultimately how do you leave out Porter and Furlong. As a fan favourite I want Bent involved after his start to the season but I just can't see it.
He's also a try scoring machine these days!

For me it's not just about rewarding form or trying to get more cohesion by not dropping everyone back in at the same time, it's also an acknowledgement that we have a lot of games on the bounce, so I'd select two mix and match teams over the next two games but that's with the intention of being ready to go full tilt for round three and four and not giving any of the internationals two weeks off over Christmas.
+1
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think it's a wee bit naive to say we should select solely on form. No team is selected like that.

Like to artificially rule out 'Sexton, Ringrose, Furlong, Henshaw, lamour, Ryan & JVdF' because they haven't played in blue this season would be foolish imo. And if you're continuing with that logic then they wouldn't play against Lyon away. I think as someone said above it's not an either/or choice, it's about both rewarding form and also integrating guys who will realistically be the backbone of the first team as the season rolls on. Particularly Ryan, Ringer, Larmour, JVDF who actually played well in Japan and should have no fitness issues.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Totally agree that the coaches need to be cognisant of the relentless schedule coming up, but the players can't lose sight of how big this game is. I know it's early in the season, but this is a massive game for us.

We want that f%~king trophy. It's the most important thing this season. There's 9 games between us and it, so every game is huge. Finishing as high as possible up the rankings in the group stage is proven to be the best route to winning the tournament. That means winning at home, and probably necessitates 5 points. Treviso are here on merit, and are vastly improved from what they used to be. They got their international contingent back before us, and came close to turning over Scarlets away at the weekend. They've won in Dublin in recent memory so won't be coming here with any fear.

I'm not saying we aren't favourites - we are. But nothing can be taken for granted here, and getting the right result is hugely important. Remember we looked good going into Bath away last season and were lucky to win at all (a display that presaged Ireland's bad 2019). Whoever is picked has to be totally dedicated to the task at hand.

With that in mind, I'd like to see some continuity from recent good displays. Fardy should be in the pitch in some capacity. He's been the pack leader when we've been at our best. Porter looked like a guy intent on making a point in Galway.

Everyone will have their preferred 23 and I trust Leocaster to get it right. I just hope the lads going out are ruthless, single-minded and sharp. Nine games, lads.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Injury update:
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/111 ... t-weekend/

Leinster expect Robbie Henshaw to return for Saturday's Heineken Champions Cup clash with Treviso.

The Ireland international was due to play against Connacht last weekend but complained of feeling unwell on Friday.

He will return to training this week.

Sean Cronin will step up his recovery from a neck injury sustained at the Rugby World Cup with light skill work but will not be considered for this clash.

Meanwhile Hugo Keenan and Ed Byrne came through the Connacht games after ankle and neck injuries.

Vakh Abdaladze is out for a few weeks with a back problem while Fergus McFadden (elbow), Jack Conan (foot), Barry Daly and Dan Leavy (both knee) remain out long-term.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm certainly not underestimating Benetton, I think they're great and they have one of the best coaches in European rugby IMO.

But I think there's a lot to be said for momentum, cohesion, and confidence and think that wholesale changes would have a negative effect in those areas. I'm too lazy to look up the details so might have this wrong but I remember the internationals coming back late in 2012 and we scraped past Exeter 9-6 in the first European game with a terrible performance. That's the kind of performance that I think could happen again if we bring everyone back in en masse.

If Saracens really do take it easy in Europe this season then it's a gilt edged chance to win it again. Toulouse and Clermont will be big threats as well but I would have said that ourselves and Saracens were definitely the best two teams.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Of the 14 on Ireland duty We played McGrath, Ruddock, Porter, Kearney & Healy

Henshaw looks set to go.

Conan and Cronin are out.

Leaving Sexton, VDF, Ringrose, Furlong, Larmour & J Ryan to come.

How many of them are people suggesting we leave out? Even if we put 5 of those 6 on the bench along with a hooker, LHP and scrum half.......
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I think we should go with:

1. Healy
2. Kelleher
3. Furlong
4. Fardy
5. Toner
6. Doris
7. Connors
8. Deegan
9. Gibson-Park
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Kearney

Tracey, Bent, Porter, J Ryan, Josh VDF, McGrath, H Byrne, Tomane
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:Of the 14 on Ireland duty We played McGrath, Ruddock, Porter, Kearney & Healy

Henshaw looks set to go.

Conan and Cronin are out.

Leaving Sexton, VDF, Ringrose, Furlong, Larmour & J Ryan to come.

How many of them are people suggesting we leave out? Even if we put 5 of those 6 on the bench along with a hooker, LHP and scrum half.......
4/5 on the bench sounds like an idea.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah. But you would leave the 2018 player of the year out so........
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:Yeah. But you would leave the 2018 player of the year out so........
The clue is in 2018, amazing what a couple of weeks will do.
Only If he's properly fit should he be in contention for a bench spot but no more than that.
If people are being prudent about "managing" his time going forward then this is one Hail Mary we don't need to make.
The very fact that the phrase "will need to be managed carefully", or words to that effect, has been used by other punters should be enough to suggest we might have a problem.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

On one leg he is still so far ahead of the rest. Won't be forever but i think it will be a year or 2 before his downward trajectory intersects with the upward one of the byrnes and Frawley
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:On one leg he is still so far ahead of the rest. Won't be forever but i think it will be a year or 2 before his downward trajectory intersects with the upward one of the byrnes and Frawley
If he's on one leg we should rest him. We need him on 2.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:On one leg he is still so far ahead of the rest. Won't be forever but i think it will be a year or 2 before his downward trajectory intersects with the upward one of the byrnes and Frawley
1. I don't think you believe that for one minute. Windup.
2. If you do, I doubt very there's a prosthetic leg out there that is good enough to make your claim accurate.
3. Declines are not linear, they're exponential and the intersection is usually only identified after the fact.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
If he's on one leg we should rest him. We need him on 2.
If he's on one leg, he'll need at least a walking stick as well as crutches maybe.
Is that allowed?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah the one leg was just for sport.

On two legs I'll be surprised if he is caught this season. Maybe during the following one.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Declines may very well not be linear but they sure ain't exponential.