HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:If you read the piece though it doesn't necessarily say Henshaw is injured, just that he may miss out.
If you had to bet a week's wages on it, where would you put your money.
Injured or miss out?
Maybe simpler ?, Play or won't play, regardless of the reason.
If it helps your decision, my money would go on "won't play".
I haven't read the piece yet btw.
Sorry I've no idea what you're saying here.

My point was fairly clear - the piece says Henshaw may miss out. People are taking that to mean he's injured/ill.
If you read the line it doesn't reference that, so it may be that it's a selection decision to start Tomane at 12.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Twist wrote:Porter is in great form, I'd be happy for him to start at TH. His try against Connacht was very like Furlong's one against Samoa, I thought.

I rewatched highlights from the second Aus v. Ireland test the other day. Id totally forgotten about Furlong's line-break and attempted long pass in that game. He hasn't had many moments like that recently. I'd say things like that do wonders for your confidence.

I wonder if we're getting the full picture (as usual) about Henshaw? Withdrawn with 'illness' fairly late and not expected in the 23 this week. Its entirely possible that a lad who was sick on Friday couldn't train all week, but it seems like we don't get told the truth very often
He was puking his guts up. They are waiting to see how he recovers from the bug.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:If you read the piece though it doesn't necessarily say Henshaw is injured, just that he may miss out.
If you had to bet a week's wages on it, where would you put your money.
Injured or miss out?

My point was fairly clear - the piece says Henshaw may miss out. People are taking that to mean he's injured/ill.
If you read the line it doesn't reference that, so it may be that it's a selection decision to start Tomane at 12.
I beg to differ.
I was asking you what do you think not what does the article think.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote: If you had to bet a week's wages on it, where would you put your money.
Injured or miss out?

I beg to differ.
I was asking you what do you think not what does the article think.
You beg to differ on what?

I've no idea what will happen! That's a weird line of questioning. I'm obviously not privvy to how sick he was last week or how he has been going in training.

If it were my choice whether he's fit or not I'd start Tomane on form and Henshaw doesn't really fit into the 23 jersey.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote:
Twist wrote:Porter is in great form, I'd be happy for him to start at TH. His try against Connacht was very like Furlong's one against Samoa, I thought.

I rewatched highlights from the second Aus v. Ireland test the other day. Id totally forgotten about Furlong's line-break and attempted long pass in that game. He hasn't had many moments like that recently. I'd say things like that do wonders for your confidence.

I wonder if we're getting the full picture (as usual) about Henshaw? Withdrawn with 'illness' fairly late and not expected in the 23 this week. Its entirely possible that a lad who was sick on Friday couldn't train all week, but it seems like we don't get told the truth very often
He was puking his guts up. They are waiting to see how he recovers from the bug.
With respect to Robbie, good to hear! I was dubious about the "illness" line too.

Think I've said this already but I'd start himself and Tomane if possible, then have Ringrose on the bench and start him and Robbie next week.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

You start your best 13 which is ringrose. Are the mo it's a 50/50 call between robbie and tomane. Tomane looks like a new signing based on his form so far this season. Henshaw needs minutes before next week as he would be better suited to Lyon away next Saturday in that defensive leader role in the backline. Imo!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dooley in the 23 according to this. Presumably Ed Byrne not selected

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 93736.html
Dooley has started five of Leinster's six games at loosehead and again makes the match-day squad for the visit of Benetton Rugby tomorrow in the RDS Arena. It's a hugely competitive slot. Jack McGrath may be gone up the M1 but Cian Healy is back from Japan, Ed Byrne is also back from a neck injury and raring to go. And then you've young Michael Milne asking all sorts of questions of the hierarchy.

"It's something that I've missed the last few years definitely. Those really big European occasions, pulling on a Leinster jersey in the Champions Cup. There is a different vibe to the place. An edge to training. I'm just delighted that I've the nod this week. It's a new chat next week but I'll give it my all for this weekend."
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Dooley in the 23 according to this. Presumably Ed Byrne not selected

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 93736.html
Dooley has started five of Leinster's six games at loosehead and again makes the match-day squad for the visit of Benetton Rugby tomorrow in the RDS Arena. It's a hugely competitive slot. Jack McGrath may be gone up the M1 but Cian Healy is back from Japan, Ed Byrne is also back from a neck injury and raring to go. And then you've young Michael Milne asking all sorts of questions of the hierarchy.

"It's something that I've missed the last few years definitely. Those really big European occasions, pulling on a Leinster jersey in the Champions Cup. There is a different vibe to the place. An edge to training. I'm just delighted that I've the nod this week. It's a new chat next week but I'll give it my all for this weekend."
Publisher is the Indo, but that's in-house Leinster blurb by Marcus Ó Buachalla, so one would expect the details to be confirmed, when the selection is announced in a little while.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets): 
15. Jordan Larmour (39)
14. Dave Kearney (139)
13. Garry Ringrose (65)
12. Joe Tomane (18)
11. James Lowe (34)
10. Johhny Sexton (160) CAPTAIN
9. Luke McGrath (114)
1. Cian Healy (209)
2. Rónan Kelleher (7)
3. Andrew Porter (54)
4. Devin Toner (236)
5. James Ryan (31)
6. Rhys Ruddock (162)
7. Josh van der Flier (73)
8. Caelan Doris (21)
16. James Tracy (98)
17. Peter Dooley (66)
18. Michael Bent (130)
19. Scott Fardy (48)
20. Max Deegan (52)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (76)
22. Ross Byrne (76)
23. Rory O’Loughlin (66)
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dave Cahill wrote:Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets): 
15. Jordan Larmour (39)
14. Dave Kearney (139)
13. Garry Ringrose (65)
12. Joe Tomane (18)
11. James Lowe (34)
9. Luke McGrath (114)
1. Cian Healy (209)
2. Rónan Kelleher (7)
3. Andrew Porter (54)
4. Devin Toner (236)
5. James Ryan (31)
6. Rhys Ruddock (162)
8. Caelan Doris (21)
16. James Tracy (98)
17. Peter Dooley (66)
18. Michael Bent (130)
19. Scott Fardy (48)
20. Max Deegan (52)
22. Ross Byrne (76)
23. Rory O’Loughlin (66)
I wouldn’t have started Luke McGrath or Kearney, and would’ve had Fardy in there to start. Oh well, h’way the lads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Must have been an interesting conversation between Leo & RK.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Interesting selection. No Henshaw isn't a surprise because of his illness but I didn't expect Rob and Furlong to be missing.

Have to say I didn't share Dave's view that DK is in cracking form and didn't expect him to be there, although Adam has been a bit mixed so it's not like he demanded the jersey.

I think Doris is lucky to be starting but what an opportunity for him to lay down a marker and keep that jersey for most of the season. He hasn't taken his chances yet but I don't have any doubts about him long term, I really do expect him to explode onto the scene at some stage and hopefully it begins tomorrow. Actually I would have said something very similar about Deegan if he'd got the nod.

I often think that Porter is underrated somewhat because we just don't see him start all that much. He looked in great nick last week so excited to see what he can do. Huge day for Kelleher as well and fingers crossed it goes well.

Delighted that ROL is on the bench as well, didn't expect that.

Luke had the forwards working well off him last week and that pack is made for holding onto possession so I'm hoping he does the same again. Hopefully Tomane continues his good form and I'd really like Ringrose and Larmour to get the ball in space more than they did in Japan. Benetton are a really good side but I think our pack is so strong that it should be a reasonably comfortable win.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Hope to see Doris do well here.

Had a thought. Has Doris ever started at 8 in a fully stacked Leinster team in a big game?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Really like the look of that side.

Harsh on Byrne and LPG, if understandable, so I hope they get a chance early enough if the starting pair aren't firing.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Robbie Henshaw, ill or not selected.

Either way he has had rotten luck with missing matches of late
His record of 40 Irish appearances versus 37 Leinster appearances is unusual in this day and age
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Des Berry tweeted that Cian Kelleher is playing for Lansdowne this weekend. Amazing that that's happening considering Connacht had to sign a medical joker during the week.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Dave Cahill wrote:Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets): 
15. Jordan Larmour (39)
14. Dave Kearney (139)
13. Garry Ringrose (65)
12. Joe Tomane (18)
11. James Lowe (34)
9. Luke McGrath (114)
1. Cian Healy (209)
2. Rónan Kelleher (7)
3. Andrew Porter (54)
4. Devin Toner (236)
5. James Ryan (31)
6. Rhys Ruddock (162)
8. Caelan Doris (21)
16. James Tracy (98)
17. Peter Dooley (66)
18. Michael Bent (130)
19. Scott Fardy (48)
20. Max Deegan (52)
22. Ross Byrne (76)
23. Rory O’Loughlin (66)
I like it - nice balance mixing in some of the new and returning, not sure how much better it could have been !!

Henshaw obviously not fully recovered, Tomane deserves the start and the only odd one really is Furlong not starting / benching. Perhaps a niggle. Cronin must not be fit either.

Larmour clearly to me outplayed Kearney in the WC and perhaps we are seeing a changing of the guard there but having Rob this season not exactly a problem as a hugely experienced backup.

Will Connors, Harry Byrne and arguably a couple of others could have been in there but these are good problems - mixture of new and old pushing for places.

We are in a good place atm - full points tomorrow the target and we should be aiming to win all our pool games and be top seed and then push on from there.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

bails wrote:Robbie Henshaw, ill or not selected.

His record of 40 Irish appearances versus 37 Leinster appearances is unusual in this day and age
If you're counting all his Irish appearances, you should count his Connacht+Leinster appearances, which would be 114.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Laighin Break wrote:
bails wrote:Robbie Henshaw, ill or not selected.

If you're counting all his Irish appearances, you should count his Connacht+Leinster appearances, which would be 114.
Even still, it's an unusually skewed ratio