Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

Post by wixfjord »

D4surfer wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Tracey obviously has a mole on the inside!
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 15663.html

According to this team looking like

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, RK

Possible bench then of:
Dooley, Tracy, Porter, Toner, Connors??, JGP, Byrne, ROL
What, no out half? Is that a cunning plan?
Haha no Lowe is going to try his hand there with that lovely left foot!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, RK

Possible bench then of:
I refuse to sign up to that site!!!!!
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

You can just sign in with google or Facebook
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Leinster Rugby team, as sponsored by Bank of Ireland, to take on Lyon tomorrow away from home in the second round of Pool 1 of the Heineken Champions Cup has been named by Head Coach Leo Cullen (Kick Off: 3.15pm – live on BT Sport / RTÉ Radio).

There are a number of changes from the team that picked up a bonus point win at the RDS Arena last weekend against Benetton Rugby, while Kildare man James Tracy is in line to make his 100th appearance for the club off the bench.

Rob Kearney makes his first start for Leinster since returning from the Rugby World Cup, with Jordan Larmour moving to the right wing and James Lowe continuing on the left.

Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose are paired together for the first time this season in the centre from the start, with Luke McGrath and captain Johnny Sexton continuing as the half back pairing.

In the pack Cian Healy and Rónan Kelleher are retained from the starting XV last week, with Tadhg Furlong returning from a back injury to start at tighthead.

James Ryan is again selected in the second row, with Scott Fardy winning his 50th cap as his partner for the trip to France.

In the back row it’s the same two on the flanks, with Rhys Ruddock at blindside and Josh van der Flier at openside winning his 75th cap, with Max Deegan making his first European start from number eight.

Amongst the replacements the aformentioned James Tracy is in line to win his 100th cap should he be introduced. The 28-year-old Irish international, a former student at Newbridge College, made his Leinster debut off the bench in November 2012 against the Ospreys and has since won two Guinness PRO14 titles and a Heineken Champions Cup medal in 2018. The Kill native has six Ireland caps to his name to date.

Fianlly, Josh Murphy is in line to make his European debut off the bench. The Wexford man has 26 caps to his name already in the Guinness PRO14 but the game tomorrow is his first involvement in a European match day squad.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (211)
14. Jordan Larmour (40)
13. Garry Ringrose (66)
12. Robbie Henshaw (38)
11. James Lowe (35)
10. Johnny Sexton (161) CAPTAIN
9. Luke McGrath (115)
1. Cian Healy (210)
2. Rónan Kelleher (8)
3. Tadhg Furlong (102)
4. Scott Fardy (49)
5. James Ryan (32)
6. Rhys Ruddock (163)
7. Josh van der Flier (74)
8. Max Deegan (53)

16. James Tracy (99)
17. Ed Byrne (46)
18. Andrew Porter (55)
19. Devin Toner (237)
20. Josh Murphy (26)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (77)
22. Ross Byrne (77)
23. Dave Kearney (140)

Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Chiocci, Ivaldi, Bamba - Bruni, Roodt - Puricelli, Gill, Fearns - Couilloud (m, cap), Wisniewski (o) - Nakaitaici, Ngatai, Regard, Mignot - Arnold.

Maurouard, Thatch, Gomez-Kodela, Oosthuizen Goujon Pelissie, Buttin Wulf.

No Tuisova for them. A good bit of change from last week too.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote:Chiocci, Ivaldi, Bamba - Bruni, Roodt - Puricelli, Gill, Fearns - Couilloud (m, cap), Wisniewski (o) - Nakaitaici, Ngatai, Regard, Mignot - Arnold.

Maurouard, Thatch, Gomez-Kodela, Oosthuizen Goujon Pelissie, Buttin Wulf.

No Tuisova for them. A good bit of change from last week too.
Interesting that their front 5 from last week have all been changed for the guys that were on the bench.

Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent but it is interesting

Edit: changed their half backs too
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:You can just sign in with google or Facebook
And then they have your data. There is no paywall with the Indo. The only benefit of forcing you to sign in is to have some personal info. No thanks
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Doc wrote:

Possible bench then of:
Why's that? At least it's free. Not like those other hooers
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great that Furlong is back but Porter is very unlucky not to start again. Surprised that Dev isn't starting and not sure what the tactical reason would be but I suppose starting Fardy is an easy change to make just to freshen things up anyway. For about the 10th time this year, I hope Max takes his chance and really shows what he can do. I actually think his grunt work is underrated so think he can suit the game tomorrow, if he just repeats what he did in the last two games then I'll be delighted.

Hopefully Robbie can find his sharpness this week. As bad as Lyon were last week Ngatai was still outstanding and stopping him will go a long way to us winning. They didn't seem to have much of a kicking game so surprised to see Rob back for that reason although obviously his experience will be important and aside from the last two games against Connacht and NZ he did actually look pretty sharp in the Ireland games before that.

I really don't want to read anything into Lyons performance last week though. Writing off a french team after an away performance would be like being optimistic about Ireland in a World Cup QF.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

The Doc wrote:

Possible bench then of:
I signed up with a temporary email address. 10 minute mail or something works
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

DK on the bench is a weird one. Obviously expecting Henshaw and Ringer to go 80.

Delighted for Josh Murphy benching, has been in great form and this is a game that could suit him.

Stopping Fearns will be big for us, he's an important carrier for them from what I've seen over last season or two.

On paper, we've the better side but pitch and rain will be a leveller.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Very strong 23.
Pretty much as expected, even though - at some point - those predicting Rob's demise are going to be correct. Away in France is probably not the moment to make a possibly premature call.
Not sure about Dave on the bench though, particularly given Henshaw's physiological fallibility. I wouldn't be thrilled seeing Larmour slot in there away in France.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If Tomane and ROL are injured then DK makes sense.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If Tomane and ROL are injured then DK makes sense.
That's true, I'd imagine the move would be to bring Larmour in and stick DK on the right wing.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If Tomane and ROL are injured then DK makes sense.
I guess they were both name-checked in the injury update alright.
Hopefully, Henshaw is fully fit. The thought of Larmour filling-in at 13, with Ringrose moving to 12, doesn't totally thrill me.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
And then they have your data. There is no paywall with the Indo. The only benefit of forcing you to sign in is to have some personal info. No thanks
The way I see it I’m trading them some data for some content, if you compare it to the amount of data the folks from google or FB get from ya it’s really just a drop in the ocean. That said if you really are conscious of these things setting up an account with a temporary email address as you suggested below is a good way to go.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Great that Furlong is back but Porter is very unlucky not to start again. Surprised that Dev isn't starting and not sure what the tactical reason would be but I suppose starting Fardy is an easy change to make just to freshen things up anyway. For about the 10th time this year, I hope Max takes his chance and really shows what he can do. I actually think his grunt work is underrated so think he can suit the game tomorrow, if he just repeats what he did in the last two games then I'll be delighted.

Hopefully Robbie can find his sharpness this week. As bad as Lyon were last week Ngatai was still outstanding and stopping him will go a long way to us winning. They didn't seem to have much of a kicking game so surprised to see Rob back for that reason although obviously his experience will be important and aside from the last two games against Connacht and NZ he did actually look pretty sharp in the Ireland games before that.

I really don't want to read anything into Lyons performance last week though. Writing off a french team after an away performance would be like being optimistic about Ireland in a World Cup QF.

I must look at the game properly, but I thought Ngatai on occasion was a bit all over the place - especially in defence.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm sure you're right, I missed the start so didn't see how Northampton got their first few scores. From what I did see he took on a lot of responsibility in trying to drag them back into the game and was really dangerous in attack.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
The way I see it I’m trading them some data for some content, if you compare it to the amount of data the folks from google or FB get from ya it’s really just a drop in the ocean. That said if you really are conscious of these things setting up an account with a temporary email address as you suggested below is a good way to go.
Sign in with Google or Facebook??? Even worse

Temp email doesn't work - you're signing up to the website which will include cookies and probably cross referencing to other accounts and wider tracking. The email address is probably the least interesting data points they can gather - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

I wouldn't trade my personal data for their content
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

In terms of great European matches at the RDS, last week's game against Benetton will rank fairly low in the list.

Leinster were okay but never really got out of third gear and realistically never had to. They admittedly got complacent after scoring the bonus point try and their performance levels dipped dramatically. But it's probably no harm to have a week of tough self-examination ahead of a trip to France.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.