Saints away 7th December

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Saints away 7th December

Post by Twist »

St.Kenneth wrote:It's the loss of George Furbank at 15 that worries me most. He had two HIA's during the Leicester match, so perhaps he is out with something along those lines. Never been a huge admirer of Tuala and Furbank was on fire last weekend.

On paper there is only one winner of this match. Your side is stronger in every department, but big things are expected in the future for the likes of Hutchinson, Painter, Moon, Hill, Coles, Ludlam, Grayson so it will be interesting to see how we stack up. I hope we give you a good run around and should you end up winning, I hope it's the hardest game you've had to play in a long while.

Safe travels to all coming over.
You swear you're not from Kerry?
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

St.Kenneth wrote:It's the loss of George Furbank at 15 that worries me most. He had two HIA's during the Leicester match, so perhaps he is out with something along those lines. Never been a huge admirer of Tuala and Furbank was on fire last weekend.

On paper there is only one winner of this match. Your side is stronger in every department, but big things are expected in the future for the likes of Hutchinson, Painter, Moon, Hill, Coles, Ludlam, Grayson so it will be interesting to see how we stack up. I hope we give you a good run around and should you end up winning, I hope it's the hardest game you've had to play in a long while.

Safe travels to all coming over.
Thanks St Ken looking forward to my first visit to the Gardens so long as I can get there from Birmingham flying in tonight!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Porter gets the 3 shirt on merit over a fully fit Tadhg and rightly so. Changing of the guard?

I have no qualms about DK getting the nod for this, he may just be our best defensive winger when Ferg is less than 100% and he has found the try line a few times this season too.

Dan Biggar has previous form for breaking Leinster hearts, lets hope we don't see a repeat.

So looking forward to this, the B2B's are something special.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

outcast eddie wrote:Porter gets the 3 shirt on merit over a fully fit Tadhg and rightly so. Changing of the guard?
That's going a bit far I think!
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

wixfjord wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:Porter gets the 3 shirt on merit over a fully fit Tadhg and rightly so. Changing of the guard?
That's going a bit far I think!
When McGrath was starting games ahead of Healy it made Healy a better player. That's all that's happening here, Furlong will have to up his game to get the shirt back.

Let's hope it doesn't end up with one of them moving to another province.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
St.Kenneth
Learner

Post by St.Kenneth »

Hi Leoslovechild and everyone else making their first trip to FG, I hope you’ll enjoy your first taste of the gardens.

Look, I’ll be honest with you, Northampton is just a normal working class town, it isn’t going to be high on the list of anyone particularly wanting to sightsee, however it is a rugby town. Rugby is the main sport. There are a whole host of small rugby clubs within the town and as true rugby fans I’m sure you’ll be warmly received by the locals.

No doubt most will make it to the ground via the town centre, along the Weedon Road. There are a whole heap of watering holes along the way, so if you pass the Malt Shovel, Wig & Pen, Foundryman or Sevens (now owned by an ex Saint) then these are certainly worth popping in to.

Coming up from the town, you’ll pass St James’ Church which is where the Saints started back in 1880, with the good Reverend starting up a rugby side, hence the names Saints or sometimes Jimmies. Should you enter the vicinity from the main road at the north of the stadium, it’s probably worth walking down through the small car park that is to the side of the Carlsberg Stand (East stand) to get to the village area that is situated down the South end, entering the stadium there, as the village has the predominance of food outlets, beer tent etc etc and is where the majority of supporters access the ground from the main car parks. The Carlsberg stand houses the biggest bar in the ground, The Rodber Bar, which is accessed pitch side.

If your seat is in the Carlsberg, or you are standing on the terraces at the front of that stand, then bring a cap or some sun glasses (if it’s going to be sunny) as the sun sets right in your face!!

I love watching my rugby at FG, not just because my name is among the list of shareholders on the outside wall of the Carlsberg stand and not just because it’s my side, but because the stands are on top of the pitch, close to the action, and it generates a decent atmosphere, unless you are slaughtering us!! Weather conditions look set for decent running rugby and from what I’ve heard, there are only the odd individual seats left, so it should be pretty full and raucous.

If you travel with the aim of having a good rugby weekend, where you’ll be warmly welcomed, wanting to watch hopefully a hum dinger of a match, then you’ll all have a fabulous weekend.
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

St.Kenneth wrote:Hi Leoslovechild and everyone else making their first trip to FG, I hope you’ll enjoy your first taste of the gardens.

Look, I’ll be honest with you, Northampton is just a normal working class town, it isn’t going to be high on the list of anyone particularly wanting to sightsee, however it is a rugby town. Rugby is the main sport. There are a whole host of small rugby clubs within the town and as true rugby fans I’m sure you’ll be warmly received by the locals.

No doubt most will make it to the ground via the town centre, along the Weedon Road. There are a whole heap of watering holes along the way, so if you pass the Malt Shovel, Wig & Pen, Foundryman or Sevens (now owned by an ex Saint) then these are certainly worth popping in to.

Coming up from the town, you’ll pass St James’ Church which is where the Saints started back in 1880, with the good Reverend starting up a rugby side, hence the names Saints or sometimes Jimmies. Should you enter the vicinity from the main road at the north of the stadium, it’s probably worth walking down through the small car park that is to the side of the Carlsberg Stand (East stand) to get to the village area that is situated down the South end, entering the stadium there, as the village has the predominance of food outlets, beer tent etc etc and is where the majority of supporters access the ground from the main car parks. The Carlsberg stand houses the biggest bar in the ground, The Rodber Bar, which is accessed pitch side.

If your seat is in the Carlsberg, or you are standing on the terraces at the front of that stand, then bring a cap or some sun glasses (if it’s going to be sunny) as the sun sets right in your face!!

I love watching my rugby at FG, not just because my name is among the list of shareholders on the outside wall of the Carlsberg stand and not just because it’s my side, but because the stands are on top of the pitch, close to the action, and it generates a decent atmosphere, unless you are slaughtering us!! Weather conditions look set for decent running rugby and from what I’ve heard, there are only the odd individual seats left, so it should be pretty full and raucous.

If you travel with the aim of having a good rugby weekend, where you’ll be warmly welcomed, wanting to watch hopefully a hum dinger of a match, then you’ll all have a fabulous weekend.
You're a credit to your club. I wont be attending myself. But wish I was now! :happy clapper:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
St.Kenneth wrote:Hi Leoslovechild and everyone else making their first trip to FG, I hope you’ll enjoy your first taste of the gardens.

You're a credit to your club. I wont be attending myself. But wish I was now! :happy clapper:
+1. I'd wish you luck, St. Kenneth, but our fellas might need some of that. Enjoy the match(es)!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

There is no doubt in my mind that St Kenneth and the rest of the Saints faithful are planning and expecting an ambush. All nicey nicey then BAM were 14 points down, under the sticks and wondering how we are going to fix the scrum :)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

At the respective stages of their careers how do Sexton and Biggar compare?
The answer could important!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really surprised at two 'one-position' subs in Ross B and RK. Believe it weakens our impact off the bench. Not surprised at DK selection. Expected him or Ferg to be given a run against the Big Boy.

Mention of DK not being in form is wide of the mark. The only Leinster wingers not yet "in form" are Adam Byrne and James Lowe. Larmour at fb will be a temptation for Biggar but I assume we will try to starve them of possession and allow 10, 12 & 13 to dictate how we attack for points.

No cakewalk but not as tough as it might be.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Not entirely off topic...

Printer at home bust. Does anyone with previous knowledge know if I can get in to Franklin's Gardens with the match tickets on my smartphone?
Four Stars
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Last week's win in Glasgow was one of the most satisfying in years.

The Leinster team selected were up against it facing a much stronger looking Glasgow team on paper. They also lost a man to the bin early and conceded two tries to a lost member of the Levellers who was playing at full back for some strange reason. And yet Glasgow never scored again and Cian Kelleher scored two smartly taken tries to take the lead. After that Leinster just managed the game beautifully in the second half. Will Connors tackled like a madman and Ross Byrne kept pinging Glasgow back with some wonderful tactical kicking to go with an assured performance off the tee. In the end Leinster were comfortable enough and the win should be a massive fillip to the whole squad as they head back into European action.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really surprised at two 'one-position' subs in Ross B and RK. Believe it weakens our impact off the bench. Not surprised at DK selection. Expected him or Ferg to be given a run against the Big Boy.

Mention of DK not being in form is wide of the mark. The only Leinster wingers not yet "in form" are Adam Byrne and James Lowe. Larmour at fb will be a temptation for Biggar but I assume we will try to starve them of possession and allow 10, 12 & 13 to dictate how we attack for points.

Ferg isn't in the euro squad.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Lar wrote:Not entirely off topic...

Printer at home bust. Does anyone with previous knowledge know if I can get in to Franklin's Gardens with the match tickets on my smartphone?
If not then i won't be getting in. I never print tickets (or anything) unless i am expressly told to
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really surprised at two 'one-position' subs in Ross B and RK. Believe it weakens our impact off the bench. Not surprised at DK selection. Expected him or Ferg to be given a run against the Big Boy.

RK starting and Larmour on the bench would have been the likely alternative and would solve the "one position".
This selection would appear to be the start of the changing of the guard with the minimum of disruption.
RK is not exactly playing muck either so with proper minute management we could get a lot out of him this season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:
Lar wrote:Not entirely off topic...

If not then i won't be getting in. I never print tickets (or anything) unless i am expressly told to
Any chance you could do us all a favour and start working in the Dáil?
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Oldschool wrote:

RK starting and Larmour on the bench would have been the likely alternative and would solve the "one position".
This selection would appear to be the start of the changing of the guard with the minimum of disruption.
RK is not exactly playing muck either so with proper minute management we could get a lot out of him this season.
For the 2009 Heineken Cup Final the backs on the bench for Leinster were Simon Keogh, Rob Kearney and Girvan Dempsey. Figure that out.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Tomorrow is the 135th game of Leo Cullen's time as head-coach which means he's now been in charge for more games than any other coach in Leinster's history.

Anyone want to guess which player has a) made the most appearances under Leo and b) which one has started the most games? It's not the same player by the way.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:Tomorrow is the 135th game of Leo Cullen's time as head-coach which means he's now been in charge for more games than any other coach in Leinster's history.

Anyone want to guess which player has a) made the most appearances under Leo and b) which one has started the most games? It's not the same player by the way.
JGP for most appearances and Ross Byrne for most starts?