Saints away 7th December

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Experimental
Knowledgeable

Re: Saints away 7th December

Post by Experimental »

Thought this was a great away win, but the scoreline really did flatter us. When I try to compare this side to our previous sides who have won the competition I think we are still a bit off the mark, and theres plenty of work to do if we want to lift the trophy again. Our forwards were very good, but the backs (without naming any names) need a good bit of work to reach those heights again, there were definately a few who had poor games. Kind of a good situation to be in I suppose for the coaches, getting a nice away win but still having plenty to work on.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Anybody know if there's a recording of the game anywhere or if Channel 4/Virgin/BT will have a re showing during the week?

Cheers
are you kidding me ? - Im betting Virgin will show the match at least 10 times next week- anything they have seems to be on a permanent loop
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Reading the Northampton fans forum really is depressing. It's embarrassing the amount of excuses they come out with and how they apparently only care about the league.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Keith wrote:Reading the Northampton fans forum really is depressing. It's embarrassing the amount of excuses they come out with and how they apparently only care about the league.
The main point they make is that the standard of the Pro14 is so low and this allows Leinster to target European games by resting players in advance of big European games. I think the standard of the Pro14 has declined over the last two years due to the decline of the four Welsh Regions. Just look at Ospreys now and compare them to the Ospreys Team of 2010 and 2012.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Went along to Franklin's gardens yesterday which was great for me as I only live 25 mins away so great to watch leinster without having to get flights, hotels etc. Thought we were much improved in second half after a sloppy first period.
Tightened up much more in the second and took our chances when they came our way. Saints were great to watch and were riding the crest of a wave coming into this game but were given a harsh lesson in the difference between domestic and European competition.
They dont have the squad depth that we have and are a work in progress with a lot of young talented players who are fantastic entertainment to watch but until the get their first choice pack on the pitch then I'll think they will struggle in europe.

On a different note, their supporters are a credit to their team. Polite and welcoming and very complimentary in defeat. Other fans could learn a lot from saints fans. I hope they have a cracking season and will be keeping an eye on their results.

A great day out, 5 points and a very good performance especially in the second half with the only negative being the injury that Sexton has picked up but fingers crossed it's not long term. Ross Byrne has shown himself to be a more than capable deputy. Roll on next week! Allez les bleus.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Anyone have a link to a recording of his or know when it will be replayed on d'box?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

joooooe wrote:Anyone have a link to a recording of his or know when it will be replayed on d'box?
https://www.rugbylist.ws
I forget now, but you might have to register.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
Keith wrote:Reading the Northampton fans forum really is depressing. It's embarrassing the amount of excuses they come out with and how they apparently only care about the league.
The main point they make is that the standard of the Pro14 is so low and this allows Leinster to target European games by resting players in advance of big European games. I think the standard of the Pro14 has declined over the last two years due to the decline of the four Welsh Regions. Just look at Ospreys now and compare them to the Ospreys Team of 2010 and 2012.
The resting players argument might have some merit if it wasn't the start of the club season. If players aren't able to perform 2 weeks in a row now, we really do have a serious problem in the game.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:
joooooe wrote:Anyone have a link to a recording of his or know when it will be replayed on d'box?
One does have to register, but it's easy peasy!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Keith wrote:
Angelsea Angst wrote:
The resting players argument might have some merit if it wasn't the start of the club season. If players aren't able to perform 2 weeks in a row now, we really do have a serious problem in the game.
And that's it init! They have played 5 League games this season and their citing tiredness as a reason for getting battered again. They do this every Autumn. After 4-5 games of Prem Rugby they're all bollixed.
The Pro14 teams rest their players (not "rotate" like they do in blighty mind you) and the French have more money.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

To be fair they could be getting that from their own coaching team. After the game yesterday Chris Boyd said they’ll probably have a completely different team out next week after they have a look at the current situation in their two competitions!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

One tactic that Northampton tried was to reach to get at Sexton. They got him a few times but he was able to exploit the gaps they left and hurt them.

Even when they eventually injured him with a late him it didnt do any good. We scored with him down and his replacement scored later.

Disciplined (assignment) defence works much better against us than gung ho king hits.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

carlow man wrote:Went along to Franklin's gardens yesterday which was great for me as I only live 25 mins away so great to watch leinster without having to get flights, hotels etc. Thought we were much improved in second half after a sloppy first period.
Tightened up much more in the second and took our chances when they came our way. Saints were great to watch and were riding the crest of a wave coming into this game but were given a harsh lesson in the difference between domestic and European competition.
They dont have the squad depth that we have and are a work in progress with a lot of young talented players who are fantastic entertainment to watch but until the get their first choice pack on the pitch then I'll think they will struggle in europe.

On a different note, their supporters are a credit to their team. Polite and welcoming and very complimentary in defeat. Other fans could learn a lot from saints fans. I hope they have a cracking season and will be keeping an eye on their results.

A great day out, 5 points and a very good performance especially in the second half with the only negative being the injury that Sexton has picked up but fingers crossed it's not long term. Ross Byrne has shown himself to be a more than capable deputy. Roll on next week! Allez les bleus.
Was lucky enough to get a ticket for Terrace C in the heart of the Saint Support as ever would really like to endorse this some of the finest, most knowledgeable and gracious supporters I have come across !.
Flying wedge
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

carlow man wrote:Went along to Franklin's gardens yesterday which was great for me as I only live 25 mins away so great to watch leinster without having to get flights, hotels etc. Thought we were much improved in second half after a sloppy first period.

Totally agree - and great venue too. It seems a lot of english fans complain to the saints about their ground - dont know why, its a great place - good stands, good pitch and plenty access to food and drink. Would go again.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
"Pro 14 is rubbish.

Clubs would all go bust if we tried to compete with the French.

So who cares about Europe really?
Much rather have week in week out action from the prem with every game to play for. And a cap that stops clubs folding. Stuff the rest.

Last time I checked we’ve won more world cups than the Welsh Scots Irish & French, and we got further than any during this recent World Cup.

Let them keep their Mickey Mouse league (french excluded) & their European cups."

Wonder which way this lad voted in the Brexit referendum! :|
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Angelsea Angst wrote:
"Pro 14 is rubbish.

Clubs would all go bust if we tried to compete with the French.

So who cares about Europe really?
Much rather have week in week out action from the prem with every game to play for. And a cap that stops clubs folding. Stuff the rest.

Last time I checked we’ve won more world cups than the Welsh Scots Irish & French, and we got further than any during this recent World Cup.

Let them keep their Mickey Mouse league (french excluded) & their European cups."

Wonder which way this lad voted in the Brexit referendum! :|
You’re assuming he can spell an X
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I went and read the Saints fans’ thread being referenced here

I dont accept any argument that we “were able to rest” players against Glasgow because the Pro14 is so weak

Glasgow away is a tougher game at the moment than Leicester at home. I know Saints v. Leicester is a derby, but Glasgow have a grudge against us at the minute and Tigers are in rag order

We were able to make 13 changes because our squad is f%~king good. We developed nearly all of them ourselves, and theyre from Leinster. We didnt do a Saracens on it, or pursue a galacticos strategy like Ospreys used to. In fact we’ve lost the likes of Jordi, Tadhg Beirne, Marty Moore and Carbery to other provinces

So our big advantage is; We’ve lots of great rugby players in Leinster. Are we supposed to be embarrassed by that?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think it's a little bit one eyed of us to assume that the level of competition in the Pro14 is the same as the Prem, and there is definitely an ability to rest players more in our league.

Part of that is because we have a bigger squad with quality players, part of it is IRFU mandated and part of it is just that the league is less competitive overall since the quality of team is slightly worse and there's no relegation pressures.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Do we care what teams from other leagues think of us or our league? And if so, why?
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

riocard911 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
One does have to register, but it's easy peasy!!!!
It looks like that site has been decommissioned, unfortunately (or certainly it's content has been).