Leinster v Saints Sat 5.15 Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Saints Sat 5.15 Aviva

Post by The Doc »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought Johnny would be worse than that so that's a bit of a relief tbh. Pity about Kelleher but it sounds like he'll be back by mid January so that could be worse as well.

I already said this in the last match thread but Ross Byrne could go from being left out of the World Cup squad to starting in the 6N. It sounds like we can rule Johnny out of the first two rounds, Carty was hooked early on Sunday and really isn't playing well (it looks like the loss to Japan might have affected his confidence), and Joey's return date is very vague. If Joey does make it back soon then I'm sure he'l get the nod, but when you think about it this year has been a write off for him because of injuries so it's been a long long time since he got a consistent run of games and played well.
I'm still of the view that Munster will come to realise they have a great full-back and good back-up 10 on their hands... but one that picks up knocks.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Sexton’s injury automatically increases Ross’ importance. It’ll be interesting to see the knock on effects for Harry and Frawley, although thats probably not for this thread
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote:Sexton’s injury automatically increases Ross’ importance. It’ll be interesting to see the knock on effects for Harry and Frawley, although thats probably not for this thread
Frawley was the backup travelling 10 at the weekend. Was on the field kicking after the warm up.
Anyone But New Zealand
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Twist wrote:Sexton’s injury automatically increases Ross’ importance. It’ll be interesting to see the knock on effects for Harry and Frawley, although thats probably not for this thread
You would imagine we will see very little of Ross over Xmas, in reality if we beat Ulster the other games are irrelevant thanks to the conference system. Obviously it would be nice to beat Munster (the number one ranked Irish team in the competition) but I can wait till the usual summer semi final win.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd imagine with an injury to Sexton, Saturday may well be the last time we see Ross for quite some time
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah he'll be playing at least one of the Xmas derbies. We're not going to play three inter pros with Frawley and Harry Byrne at 10.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Ah he'll be playing at least one of the Xmas derbies. We're not going to play three inter pros with Frawley and Harry Byrne at 10.
We did in 2016 when Ross was Frawley/Harry and Joey and Johnny were injured.

With Carbury and Sexton injured and Carty riding pine Ross is guaranteed a room key at Carton and a big bubble wrap suit
I have Bumbleflex
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

wixfjord wrote:Ah he'll be playing at least one of the Xmas derbies. We're not going to play three inter pros with Frawley and Harry Byrne at 10.
Play him against Ulster
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
You would imagine we will see very little of Ross over Xmas, in reality if we beat Ulster the other games are irrelevant thanks to the conference system. Obviously it would be nice to beat Munster (the number one ranked Irish team in the competition) but I can wait till the usual summer semi final win.
No need to wait untill then, we play them in April too :P
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I think Dave C might be right. Frawley v Munster (opportunity to put to right last years intercept, Harry v Ulster, Frawley v Connacht. I like Ciaran Frawley; but I can't wait to see more of Harry Byrne Ever since watching him for Ireland U20s, I've thought he had some potential. More likely though that if Ross doesn't play over Christmas that Frawley will start with Harry benching for all 3 games.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ross seems to like lots of gametime though. Cotton wool might hurt him. He could get injured anyway in Europe so why hold him back in the Pro14 too if he's not carrying a knock.

I think we need to try and get gametime for Frawley though. He's had an injury disrupted run that was more about badly timed injuries than bad injuries. Harry Byrne could also do with a game to keep him building.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'd imagine with an injury to Sexton, Saturday may well be the last time we see Ross for quite some time
Quite probably, though while Sexton usually slots back in without game time that's quite exceptional.

It'd be handy enough to have the lad who can't make the Bristol bench on loan at the moment. The way things are he could actually play himself into the Ireland squad!!!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I'd imagine with an injury to Sexton, Saturday may well be the last time we see Ross for quite some time
Quite probably, though while Sexton usually slots back in without game time that's quite exceptional.

It'd be handy enough to have the lad who can't make the Bristol bench on loan at the moment. The way things are he could actually play himself into the Ireland squad!!!
Could we afford him though?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Could we afford him though?
Dunno to be honest. Probably more than Munster can afford their imports. It'd be nice for the IRFU to give us a sub given they insisted his replacement move to Munster and given that he is an option for Ireland with our 2 lead outhalves currently injured.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Could be a loan deal for Leinster (or another Province) with a contract for Ulster or Connacht for next season. Bristol might let him go to save cap money for elsewhere. Added benefit for IRFU having a spare 10 hanging round.

Would we need him though? Given Frawley and both Byrne bros being fit. And would he take the pay cut needed to get it all running? He might given the fact that he is not getting game time where he is.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

He played 70 minutes against Stade Francais last week, played pretty well, kicked 100% (5/5). Not sure he’s completely out of Lam’s plans. Bristol are strolling through their Challenge Cup group however.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Why not trust in the players we have?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was interesting that Boyd said that he knew his players were goosed before half time and that they just aren't at our level. It might be true but it sounded quite defeatist to me and I'd have thought it was something you'd be more likely to say after the second game. So I'm wondering if they might play a weakened team this weekend. Harlequins have rested players in their game so it's not exactly unheard of at the moment.

I don't mean to be dismissive of them though, I thought they played some great stuff in the first half that had our midfield in all sorts of trouble. At times it was more like watching NFL where people are running all over the place and you don't know who's going to get the ball.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Why not trust in the players we have?
Because Mads has better hair.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:Could be a loan deal for Leinster (or another Province) with a contract for Ulster or Connacht for next season. Bristol might let him go to save cap money for elsewhere. Added benefit for IRFU having a spare 10 hanging round.

Would we need him though? Given Frawley and both Byrne bros being fit. And would he take the pay cut needed to get it all running? He might given the fact that he is not getting game time where he is.
Could we continue without him? Of course we could. The issue is that the 2 lads don't have 20 caps between them and we're trying to win the Champions Cup. Ireland's top 2 outhalves are also injured. Ross Byrne has struggled with the step up to international level never mind anyone younger.

On wages, Bristol might take a compromise where we pay half his salary and they pay the rest. They have more to stick back in to their salary pool and we have an affordable signing in the Gopperth price range. Clearing with the IRFU would be no bother of course.