Post by LeinsterLeader »

Jaysus thats a hugely exiting team
:shock:

Definitively heading over now. Rain or shine :happy clapper:

bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Ulster Friday 19.35

Post by bronxbull »

Interesting to see Josh Murphy in the 2nd row.
Also very excited to see Penny and Connors in the backrow with Max.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ulster side:
(15-9) Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones.

Replacements: John Andrew, Kyle McCall, Ross Kane, Jack Regan, Azur Allison, Jonny Stewart, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Delighted to see Tommy O'Brien get a chance.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't know him or anything but I'm absolutely delighted for TOB. He's a quality player who's had a very tough time with injury for the last couple of years and would also looked to have a lot of people in front of him so to make his debut now is great and there's a real opportunity to lay down a marker and play again in the next couple of games, hope he has a cracker. Not sure if he's a 13 but himself and Robbie can probably swap around a bit.

Don't like the look of numbers 5-8 because of the lack of a proper second row and Connors not being a 6 (although would like to see him at 6 with a proper second row pairing) but the talent is there so looking forward to seeing how they go. And at least we have Josh on the bench in case we need a third openside :lol:

It's a pity Charlie Ryan, Baird and Dunne aren't involved. Dowling did well in his last appearance but those guys are a level up.

Interesting that Harry Byrne is starting but hard to know what the plan is with himself and Frawley over the next couple of weeks.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really exciting side for us. TOB and Byrne both surrounded by experience and that backrow will be really interesting to see.

Looks like Frawley will get the start in Thomond?

Surprised to see JVDF benching, don't expect to see him or Healy for the next two games. But again, great to see a bit of experience on the bench to call on.

Besides Faddes, that's a very small Ulster backline. Could see Henshaw and TOB causing them a bit of trouble physically.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:Ulster side:
(15-9) Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones.

Replacements: John Andrew, Kyle McCall, Ross Kane, Jack Regan, Azur Allison, Jonny Stewart, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy.
That backline is tiny and the pack really doesn't look great overall. Even with only one out and out second row I think we can go after their lineout.

From an Ireland POV I hope McBurney and O'Toole go well.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Exciting team. Thought Mullin might have been the man to get the nod at 13 but Lancaster did name check TOB earlier in the week. Good luck boys.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just noticed that Adam isn't involved, I thought he was in good form and am hoping he starts the next two games. A backline with COB, ROL (even after a lay off), and Adam could be quite tasty for a Christmas trip to Thomond.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

OTT wrote:Exciting team. Thought Mullin might have been the man to get the nod at 13 but Lancaster did name check TOB earlier in the week. Good luck boys.
I think Mullin had to pull out of the A game last week so may be still injured
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

With qualification as pool winners secured for the quarter-finals after four matches, Leinster can look back on a satisfactory European campaign so far.

Truth be told, the pool has been handy enough and there are certainly tougher tests to come in the later stages. But Leo Cullen will still be pleased especially in the backdrop of a desperate World Cup campaign. Before European action can recommence Leinster face into the round of Christmas/New year inter-pros. It's Ulster and Connacht at the RDS broken up by a trip to Thomond Park to face Munster.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

wixfjord wrote:Really exciting side for us. TOB and Byrne both surrounded by experience and that backrow will be really interesting to see.
Looks like Frawley will get the start in Thomond?
Surprised to see JVDF benching, don't expect to see him or Healy for the next two games. But again, great to see a bit of experience on the bench to call on.

Besides Faddes, that's a very small Ulster backline. Could see Henshaw and TOB causing them a bit of trouble physically.
I'd have thought Frawley would be a certain starter for this one after his impressive cameo last week - but this comment makes sense.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

A pack with two blindsides in the row, an openside at blindside and Cronin starting at hooker could be a bit vulnerable to being outmuscled in the tight. But is the Ulster team that's been named the side to do that?

Thought Connors might have been kept on ice for the trip to Thomond. Hopefully he doesn't get too banged up smashing into all those knees and hips making all those low tackles.

I suppose we'll see Furlong, Ryan, Ruddock, McGrath, Ringrose and Larmour out against Connacht.

Good to see Tommy O'Brien finally get a go.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

more pace in our back row than in our back three
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Barry wrote:more pace in our back row than in our back three
That's very harsh......and probably not strictly true. But I know which group I'd pick for the end of training 'rugby league' session!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote:A pack with two blindsides in the row, an openside at blindside and Cronin starting at hooker could be a bit vulnerable to being outmuscled in the tight. But is the Ulster team that's been named the side to do that?

Thought Connors might have been kept on ice for the trip to Thomond. Hopefully he doesn't get too banged up smashing into all those knees and hips making all those low tackles.

I suppose we'll see Furlong, Ryan, Ruddock, McGrath, Ringrose and Larmour out against Connacht.

Porter, Cronin, Murphy and Deegan gives us ball carriers in the pack. Henshaw and O'Bien will help out a little.

If we can control the game plan we will be hard to live with. If Ulster can play 10 man rugby and get lots of lineout mauls we might suffer.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:A pack with two blindsides in the row, an openside at blindside and Cronin starting at hooker could be a bit vulnerable to being outmuscled in the tight. But is the Ulster team that's been named the side to do that?

Porter, Cronin, Murphy and Deegan gives us ball carriers in the pack. Henshaw and O'Bien will help out a little.

If we can control the game plan we will be hard to live with. If Ulster can play 10 man rugby and get lots of lineout mauls we might suffer.
A bit unlikely with a second-row combination of O'Connors against Fardy & Murphy. We should be well able to disrupt their line-out possession.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Unless I'm missing something, unusually, nobody has posted our exciting and already discussed matchday squad yet. Hubba, hubba.

15. Rob Kearney (214)
14. Fergus McFadden (180)
13. Tommy O’Brien (0)
12. Robbie Henshaw (41)
11. Cian Kelleher (10)
10. Harry Byrne (4)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (81)
1. Peter Dooley (68)
2. Seán Cronin (173)
3. Andrew Porter (58)
4. Scott Fardy (52) CAPTAIN
5. Josh Murphy (28)
6. Will Connors (10)
7. Scott Penny (9)
8. Max Deegan (56)

16. Bryan Byrne (45)
17. Cian Healy (213)
18. Jack Aungier (2)
19. Oisín Dowling (5)
20. Josh van der Flier (77)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (18)
22. Ciarán Frawley (17)
23. Conor O’Brien (20)
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

This has the look of a really exciting game, but is Baird injured or just not picked?
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Twist wrote:This has the look of a really exciting game, but is Baird injured or just not picked?
not so sure about that. Ulster team looks very different to last fridays team that beat Quinns away.

Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan, Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Tom O'Toole, David O’Connor, Alan O’Connor, Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones.