Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote:If you need an illustration of the difference between Leinster and Connacht then the physiques of Niall Murray and Ryan Baird tell a story. Murray is less than 3 months younger than Baird yet he looked at least 15kgs lighter. Baird looks like a player ready for the pro game. Murray wouldn't look out of place in a Leinster Schools' Senior Cup match. It's to Murray's credit that he kept going for 80 minutes, making tackles, hitting rucks and taking up static ball.
Baird is a freak, sure he looks ready for pro rugby.. Murray played minor intercounty for Roscommon. He's just starting out in rugby conditioning.

Thornbury had been out since October. They each made 25 tackles.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Saw JR leaving on crutches, didn't look good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Ruckedtobits wrote:That flirst half was an almost continuous loop of pass, pass, tackle, clearout, pass, pass, tackle, clearout, pass, pass, line-break, offload, pass,.....repeat until try.

Every element executed at top pace and McGrath at the back of every breakdown and moving the ball off the ground immediately on every occasion. By far his best ever passing for Leinster throughout an entire 40 mins. Playing like that makes our team lethal to every opponent and entertaining for every supporter.

Well done to all.
Got it in one -The first half was spellbinding stuff. Playing like that you wonder who could possibly live with us.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Good result. Shame we couldn’t kick on in the second half and play more of the same. Leinster’s average score at home this season is 48-17.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Barry wrote:Saw JR leaving on crutches, didn't look good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I imagine we won't see him again for Leinster until post 6 nations.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dooley was very good in 1st half.

Baird had some good carries and an excellent take in the line out after coming on. Surprised he packed down behind Dooley with Molony moving to TH lock.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Always on the look-out for the technical aspects of improvements in Leinster performances and fascinated by what particular elements contribute to each incremental gain, I was struck last night by a number of particular facets:

1. Luke McGrath's apparently increased pace of arrival at each breakdown;
2. The increased pace of his passing off the ground on both sides;
3. The increased pace and accuracy of ball presentation at breakdowns; and,
4. The improved recognition and execution of offloads by Leinster players to teammates in better tactical positions, or to players with more forward momentum.

Each one of these elements contributed to our ability to maintain the high tempo and yet they are very difficult aspects to get every player to both recognise and execute, specifically as they get more tired during a game.

McGrath's overall performance to my eye was far more like a display from Faf de Klerk or Baptiste Serin and this is a style which undoubtedly improves the overall Leinster performance.

The quality of ball presentation goes right across the Squad and is partly a function of the speed and efficency of the clearouts. Others have commented on the work of Hugh Hogan in this area and there's plenty of evidence to point to the effect it has created. The closest Leinster player(s) to each tackle fully commit themselves to the clearout of any opponent as fast as possible and regardless of the opponent's size.

The improvement in recognition and execution of offload opportunities is not quite as broadly spread across all players and, in particular, Jordan Larmour doesn't appear to have bought into the concept as much as othees. His unique skill-set of foot movement and extraordinary acceleration often create opportunities for off-loads when he has made half-breaks or radically changed the point of attack. When he adds a recognition of the opportunities which he has created for others to his existing bag of tricks he will become an even greater attacking threat to opponents.

All minor points and some may think a little bit nerdy. But the current level of Leinster performances have come from the nitty-gritty of coaching improvement and each player visualising how their little contributions in detail contribute to the overall Leinster tempo and game plan. It really is a joy to watch how these have built up over the past months (and years) and in particular to note how widespread across all our players are these technical improvements.

The pace and quality of skills execution at Leinster is right up there with the standards we've only previously seen from NZ teams in Super Rugby or occasionally from some Aussie teams. To see it live in front of our eyes on a week to week basis in a great opportunity and we are lucky to be witnesses to this excellence.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Still think they should try a combo of Doris at 6 and Deegan at 8.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Always on the look-out for the technical aspects of improvements in Leinster performances and fascinated by what particular elements contribute to each incremental gain, I was struck last night by a number of particular facets:

1. Luke McGrath's apparently increased pace of arrival at each breakdown;
2. The increased pace of his passing off the ground on both sides;
3. The increased pace and accuracy of ball presentation at breakdowns; and,
4. The improved recognition and execution of offloads by Leinster players to teammates in better tactical positions, or to players with more forward momentum.

Each one of these elements contributed to our ability to maintain the high tempo and yet they are very difficult aspects to get every player to both recognise and execute, specifically as they get more tired during a game.

McGrath's overall performance to my eye was far more like a display from Faf de Klerk or Baptiste Serin and this is a style which undoubtedly improves the overall Leinster performance.

The quality of ball presentation goes right across the Squad and is partly a function of the speed and efficency of the clearouts. Others have commented on the work of Hugh Hogan in this area and there's plenty of evidence to point to the effect it has created. The closest Leinster player(s) to each tackle fully commit themselves to the clearout of any opponent as fast as possible and regardless of the opponent's size.

The improvement in recognition and execution of offload opportunities is not quite as broadly spread across all players and, in particular, Jordan Larmour doesn't appear to have bought into the concept as much as othees. His unique skill-set of foot movement and extraordinary acceleration often create opportunities for off-loads when he has made half-breaks or radically changed the point of attack. When he adds a recognition of the opportunities which he has created for others to his existing bag of tricks he will become an even greater attacking threat to opponents.

All minor points and some may think a little bit nerdy. But the current level of Leinster performances have come from the nitty-gritty of coaching improvement and each player visualising how their little contributions in detail contribute to the overall Leinster tempo and game plan. It really is a joy to watch how these have built up over the past months (and years) and in particular to note how widespread across all our players are these technical improvements.

The pace and quality of skills execution at Leinster is right up there with the standards we've only previously seen from NZ teams in Super Rugby or occasionally from some Aussie teams. To see it live in front of our eyes on a week to week basis in a great opportunity and we are lucky to be witnesses to this excellence.
They are not “minor points”- they are rather basic skills. I’ve not been an uncritical fan of McGrath for his performance of these fundamentals consistently in many matches. But he certainly did last night. Very impressive, and as you point out it had a positive multiplier effect on all outside him.

If there was to be a notional scrum half chart on the weekend performance, I’d place his comfortably ahead of all the other 9s playing. Cooney played well- but not to the consistent standard of Luke. JGP was good- but naturally paled in comparison as the team and game loosened up. Murray and Blade were much less impressive.

Good points on Larmour and his timing to fit his colleagues MO too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The big caveat with all of this praise is that Connacht in the first half put in one of the worst performance we’ve seen at the RDS for quite a while.

Literally every phase was quick clean ball and their defence hasn’t a clue what it was doing.

We made very little mistakes and everyone got in on the act, but it’s hard to tell much from that performance in reality imo.

As someone said above our season is now about peaking for 5 big knockout games at from April onwards. That will define whether we look at this year as a golden or look back on games like this as useless fodder that lulled us into a sense of superiority!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Shame that over the 3 games neither of our opponents targeted the game against us and used their internationals. Now we play the Lyon reserves followed by a game in Italy against an opponent long knocked out of the tournament. Then the 6N, then a Saffer tour our internationals won’t be on before our Quarter final ....

I know you can only beat what’s in front of you but it would be helpful if something substantial was put in front of us every now and again .... be better to watch too.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Shame that over the 3 games neither of our opponents targeted the game against us and used their internationals. Now we play the Lyon reserves followed by a game in Italy against an opponent long knocked out of the tournament. Then the 6N, then a Saffer tour our internationals won’t be on before our Quarter final ....

I know you can only beat what’s in front of you but it would be helpful if something substantial was put in front of us every now and again .... be better to watch too.
This was something our group were discussing as probably the biggest risk to us this season and in general. I'd be really concerned that our players are not battle hardened ahead of 3 big games in Europe assuming we get that far.

We also looked at a more macro level, where next for the league and where next for Leinster if we continue to dominate like this? I know that it can't and won't last but right now it's hard to see in Pro14 anyway how we can create a competitive environment. Most teams are effectively ducking us in the RDS now for the last two seasons and these games are (whisper it) not that entertaining. Maybe that's due to my current station in life where i'm not boozing it up as much as I used too!! :D :D
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

ronk wrote:Murray played minor intercounty for Roscommon. He's just starting out in rugby conditioning.

Is hair pulling allowed in inter county football? Was really disappointed to see Tomane being stopped by having his hair pulled - was replayed on big screen but neither referee or TMO seemed to be interested. Neither were the commentators on Eir who never even mentioned it
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The only time I've ever seen it before it was punished with a penalty. The ref was Paddy O'Brien, the victim was George Smith and the perpetrator was...

...Brian O'Driscoll! RWC03
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I remember Israel Folau pulling Dillon Lleyds' hair (he get a yellow card and prompted a brawl). Chris Ashton also pulled Alesana Tuilagi's hair...which also prompted a mass brawl but not sure if he got carded, though Alesana did for his reaction.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

locho wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:Shame that over the 3 games neither of our opponents targeted the game against us and used their internationals. Now we play the Lyon reserves followed by a game in Italy against an opponent long knocked out of the tournament. Then the 6N, then a Saffer tour our internationals won’t be on before our Quarter final ....

This was something our group were discussing as probably the biggest risk to us this season and in general. I'd be really concerned that our players are not battle hardened ahead of 3 big games in Europe assuming we get that far.

We also looked at a more macro level, where next for the league and where next for Leinster if we continue to dominate like this? I know that it can't and won't last but right now it's hard to see in Pro14 anyway how we can create a competitive environment. Most teams are effectively ducking us in the RDS now for the last two seasons and these games are (whisper it) not that entertaining. Maybe that's due to my current station in life where i'm not boozing it up as much as I used too!! :D :D
We never hear calls to scrap the Bundesliga, cos Bayern dominate it or the Spanish soccer division 1 cos Real and Barcelona are the only two competitive teams in it....
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

neiliog93 wrote:I remember Israel Folau pulling Dillon Lleyds' hair (he get a yellow card and prompted a brawl). Chris Ashton also pulled Alesana Tuilagi's hair...which also prompted a mass brawl but not sure if he got carded, though Alesana did for his reaction.
Ashton got away with it but Tuilagi and Wood were red carded for involvement in brawl - Ashton was cited and banned for 4 weeks.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:The only time I've ever seen it before it was punished with a penalty. The ref was Paddy O'Brien, the victim was George Smith and the perpetrator was...

...Brian O'Driscoll! RWC03
In fairness Drico looked mortified and apologised profusely. Was surprised it wasn't picked up, it was pretty obvious and I was at the other end of the pitch.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Watching this team...
What a time to be alive!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

OMG! Saracens beat Worcester 62-5. Is this the end of the Premiership as a serious competition?