Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

Post by bluemagic »

Given recent performance levels I think it’s time to try a backrow with Doris and Deegan and drop Ruddock. I’m a huge fan of Ruddock but we need to start giving both Deegan and Doris game time or otherwise we’ll loose one. Ruddocks bulk may be useful against teams with larger packs but for games like this Deegan and Doris would be much more effective.

I’d go for something like:

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Porter
4. Toner
5. Fardy
6. Doris
7. VDF
8. Deegan
9. McGrath
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. DK
15. Larmour
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

Post by ronk »

Dropping Furlong is a big call. I'm not sure.

Have to expect James Ryan to be out. Now probably isnt the best time to experiment with swapping Doris and Deegan. Ruddock is the sort of player you want against Lyon.

Also, Im2 old fashioned sometimes but I still like Rob at fullback and Larmour on the wing.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No hope of us dropping Rhys for this. In any case Lyon are literally a team with a large pack!
(He was also MOTM last night, so hardly in bad form).

Presuming Ryan is out Id go with:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Fardy, Rhys, VDF, Doris, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, DK, Larmour
Tracy, Dooley, Porter, Molony, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, RK

Would rotate Deegan into 8 for the second game, and probably make a few more changes like JGP, Porter.
I assume Frawley is out too.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Cant imagine Lyon sending the full boat of Vikings so a chance maybe to give a few lads European debuts from the bench at least. I don’t think based on their respective last performances Porter is ahead of Furlong.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Cant imagine Lyon sending the full boat of Vikings so a chance maybe to give a few lads European debuts from the bench at least. I don’t think based on their respective last performances Porter is ahead of Furlong.
Whatever team Lyon send should be in for an absolute pasting here. They just don't have the experience in Europe to be able to put up a meaningful fight nor is their squad anywhere near the quality of ours.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Keith wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:Cant imagine Lyon sending the full boat of Vikings so a chance maybe to give a few lads European debuts from the bench at least. I don’t think based on their respective last performances Porter is ahead of Furlong.
Whatever team Lyon send should be in for an absolute pasting here. They just don't have the experience in Europe to be able to put up a meaningful fight nor is their squad anywhere near the quality of ours.
Have a look at the Team Lyon sent to Montpellier earlier this year. That will be close to what they sent us. However, Mignoni is an excellent Coach and his Squad are hard heads and they will come to stop us playing, rather than trying to win.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'd personally love to see Cian Kelleher getting a shot here or in Italy. DK's form has been fantastic this season though. Another lovely problem to have. Completely agree with having an element of rotation for these 2 games.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Wonderful selection problems - I was thinking that we shouldnt be complacent about Lyon - but simply reading about the internal competition thing within the squad , I dont think we will be complacent - the internal competition drives the team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

glenageary wrote:Wonderful selection problems - I was thinking that we shouldnt be complacent about Lyon - but simply reading about the internal competition thing within the squad , I dont think we will be complacent - the internal competition drives the team.
Plus they all want to play so well that they don't have to move to Munster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Injury update:

No mention of Frawley, doesn't sound like Ryan is too bad.

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

wixfjord wrote:Injury update:

They said after the match that Ryan had a kick to his calf.

And Frawley isn't in the Euro squad?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's good about Ryan, although wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him. When Leo said that he felt a kick on the calf I was worried that it might be one of those where you look at video and there wasn't any kick but the calf just popped.

This could be a big two weeks for Dev as he tries to get back into the Ireland 23.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Frawley is in the European squad, he played against Northampton.

I think he might just have had some cramp against Connacht.
Last edited by cormac on January 6th, 2020, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Injury update:

They said after the match that Ryan had a kick to his calf.

And Frawley isn't in the Euro squad?
Jaysus we're in trouble then for fielding an ineligible player against Saints!

But in any case there's four on that injury list who aren't in the Euro squad.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

With the competition within the squad, I would have no worries with any selection the coaches make. There are proper options in every position now and in many cases, there are multiple options. Even if Lyon sends their seconds I would expect bulk and a bigger physical test than we have had in the last few weeks.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote:Ruddocks bulk may be useful against teams with larger packs but for games like this Deegan and Doris would be much more effective.
Not that many teams we will face that have larger packs than Lyon!
You will need a different logic for justifying your choice.

Personally, I'd go with Deegan at 8 for this one and Doris away to Treviso. I'd have our captain and last weekend's man of the match starting and playing 60-65 minutes in each.

I'd probably start Furlong for this one - for the same reason you give above :wink:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

With qualification already secured it's all about getting top spot now. As Fireworks said above, any Lyon team will be big and obdurate and will aim to replicate their performance at home. I hope we try to run them ragged, and test their cardio.

If I was offered a non-BP win now I wouldn't take it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Lancaster has spoken a bit more about Johnny and it sounds like he won't play in either of the next two games. Ross Byrne for Scotland please.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Keith wrote:
Have a look at the Team Lyon sent to Montpellier earlier this year. That will be close to what they sent us. However, Mignoni is an excellent Coach and his Squad are hard heads and they will come to stop us playing, rather than trying to win.
Yeah I imagine it'll be a similar team to that. The only thing that can save Lyon here is the weather, otherwise they should be in for a rude awakening in Europe.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

This will be a formality but I can see Lyon digging their heels in a bit and a soaking wet day would suit them down to the ground. If it is dry and conditions good this will be a long day for them.....not really too concerned about what team we put out , even a mix and match side will run in 4/5 tries.....barring something totally unforeseen.

Over confident maybe but I have watched back some of our recent games and we are currently operating as well as I have ever seen across a full squad. The key to this and difference is serious real competition across nearly all positions. If you look back to recent years yes we have had squad depth but there has nearly always been a clear first 15, this is shifting and across all 15 players there is competition and in several positions no clear winner. Hats off to Leocaster, genuinely mean we are in the best shape I can ever remember as a full squad.