Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Lancaster has spoken a bit more about Johnny and it sounds like he won't play in either of the next two games. Ross Byrne for Scotland please.
You’re always going on about Ireland selections on match threads!

I’d like to see Byrne start both games and stay on only as long as necessary. I would like to see Frawley given some time.
I was never fully convinced about him as a ten. But, on front foot ball, he is such a threat, his distribution and running are better than Byrne, to my eye.
I had assumed we were going to segue from Sexton to Harry Byrne, with his brother and Frawley as interim solutions. But I’m starting to reconsider that.

Either way, I would like to see Frawley get a real test. If, as seems likely with Carbery injured again, both Byrne and Sexton are involved in the 6 nations, we’re going to need Frawley used to the top level, just in case.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Now is not the time to get Frawley used to the top level as a starting 10 (nor is it time for Harry). Ross Byrne to start both upcoming HEC games. I'd imagine Leo and Stu will name our best available 23 for both games. Personally, I still think Harry is the longer term replacement for Sexton - but he (or Frawley) are going to have to earn it and take the jersey from Ross. I think Ross has actually taken his game up a notch this season. If we''re going well against Lyon, whoever is the backup 10 will get some gametime I'd expect. That's the way to start testing them; same way Ross was tested.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

desperado wrote:Now is not the time to get Frawley used to the top level as a starting 10 (nor is it time for Harry). Ross Byrne to start both upcoming HEC games. I'd imagine Leo and Stu will name our best available 23 for both games. Personally, I still think Harry is the longer term replacement for Sexton - but he (or Frawley) are going to have to earn it and take the jersey from Ross. I think Ross has actually taken his game up a notch this season. If we''re going well against Lyon, whoever is the backup 10 will get some gametime I'd expect. That's the way to start testing them; same way Ross was tested.
I’d have been happy to see Frawley on the bench this week but with the Carbety news today I’d now have Harry on the bench instead. I’d also be looking to get Penny on in the second half too.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote:
desperado wrote:Now is not the time to get Frawley used to the top level as a starting 10 (nor is it time for Harry). Ross Byrne to start both upcoming HEC games. I'd imagine Leo and Stu will name our best available 23 for both games. Personally, I still think Harry is the longer term replacement for Sexton - but he (or Frawley) are going to have to earn it and take the jersey from Ross. I think Ross has actually taken his game up a notch this season. If we''re going well against Lyon, whoever is the backup 10 will get some gametime I'd expect. That's the way to start testing them; same way Ross was tested.
I’d have been happy to see Frawley on the bench this week but with the Carbety news today I’d now have Harry on the bench instead. I’d also be looking to get Penny on in the second half too.
You thinking of getting the lads cup-tied?
May not be a problem after this weekend.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

what's the rule? would you not be cup tied anyway if you're already in the named squad. Its ironic that GT says Munsters only option ( or likely option) is Scannell at OH. Ben Healy is in the Munster EURO squad. He should be on the same trajectory as Harry B, whom he replaced in the Ire U20 team when Harry got injured. Haven't checked his Pro14 mins; but if Munster are not giving him the same gametime Harry is getting it's negligent.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

here's the rule:
3.7 Each club may register up to five Additional Players during the pool stage, but none during the knockout stage, each to replace a player previously registered. A minimum of three Additional Players must be front row players, one Additional Player can be from any position and one Additional Player must be a medical replacement. Additional Players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament.Additional Player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Wednesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant Additional Players) during the pool stage.

The 3 month contract is interesting. Get Harry in the 23 for Sunday!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Totally agree, Byrne has been excellent this year. It's a bit of an odd one to read given the post RWC fall out but he looks to have stepped up a level which is fantastic to see. I am a big fan of Frawley, he reminds me of Paul Dean, seems to glide across the pitch. He was excellent last weekend but let 2 or 3 passes go loose in the 3rd quarter. Not surprising really given the complexity and pace of our play calls, I could hardly follow the ball at times!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Lancaster has spoken a bit more about Johnny and it sounds like he won't play in either of the next two games. Ross Byrne for Scotland please.
So you're right, Johnny being out of the next two Europeans games is irrelevant and Ireland exists in a bubble.

curates_egg wrote: Either way, I would like to see Frawley get a real test. If, as seems likely with Carbery injured again, both Byrne and Sexton are involved in the 6 nations, we’re going to need Frawley used to the top level, just in case.
Oh.........
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Ross at 10 for this weekend with Frawley on the bench. Ross at 10 next week with Harry on the bench. Both will come on at some stage and get the required experience. Not sure the cup tie rule in an issue as Munster losing in Paris effectively ends their campaign.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
You thinking of getting the lads cup-tied?
May not be a problem after this weekend.
But just in case they pull off one of their miracles I’d get Harry (and Penny and Connors) onto the pitch at some point this weekend.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
So you're right, Johnny being out of the next two Europeans games is irrelevant and Ireland exists in a bubble.

curates_egg wrote: Either way, I would like to see Frawley get a real test. If, as seems likely with Carbery injured again, both Byrne and Sexton are involved in the 6 nations, we’re going to need Frawley used to the top level, just in case.
Oh.........
I in no way said it existed in a bubble.
I was saying that you seem to be discussing your priorities for Ireland selections.
What interests me - on a Leinster match thread - is how possible Ireland selections might affect the priorities for Leinster selections (not vice versa).
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Is anyone arguing that we shouldn't start Ross Byrne? I don't see that anywhere.
I also think he has improved this season. His distribution is definitely better and he is committing more defenders. He will never really pose a running threat though: he's very slow. But - as I mentioned - he is making me reconsider my previous view that he is only an interim solution.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

You don't necessarily have to be fast to pose a running threat though. Byrne has upped his game here a lot - tries against Ulster last year, Connacht and Northampton this year would be examples of this.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We have Sexton out. We will lose Ross Byrne for the 6N. Why would we give Harry or Frawley to Munster or anyone else. We need them and we still have something to play for. We rotate enough, we should do it right and not play players just to cup tie them.

Munster have outhalf options. They are in this mess because of their own recruitment policy and because they risked both Hanrahan and Carbery rather than use the academy talent in Pro14 matches that were already weakened. This is player mismanagement rather than bad luck. They still have Healy and Scannell anyway. Hanrahan soon.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Involving both Harry Byrne and Frawley in the 23 could be an option. Assuming the backline is Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Kearney and Larmour, Frawley as #23 could work. He covers 15 and 12, Larmour could move to wing and Henshaw could move to 13. That's all the backline covered.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:We have Sexton out. We will lose Ross Byrne for the 6N. Why would we give Harry or Frawley to Munster or anyone else. We need them and we still have something to play for. We rotate enough, we should do it right and not play players just to cup tie them.

Munster have outhalf options. They are in this mess because of their own recruitment policy and because they risked both Hanrahan and Carbery rather than use the academy talent in Pro14 matches that were already weakened. This is player mismanagement rather than bad luck. They still have Healy and Scannell anyway. Hanrahan soon.
You're not going to like this but +1 :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

curates_egg wrote:
Is anyone arguing that we shouldn't start Ross Byrne? I don't see that anywhere.
I also think he has improved this season. His distribution is definitely better and he is committing more defenders. He will never really pose a running threat though: he's very slow. But - as I mentioned - he is making me reconsider my previous view that he is only an interim solution.
It's because your post meanders from >
I’d like to see Byrne start both games and stay on only as long as necessary. I would like to see Frawley given some time.

to >

Either way, I would like to see Frawley get a real test.

As you point out to others, this is specific match thread. The only way Frawley will get a 'real test' is by starting. He already came on with nearly 30 mins left against Northampton; which I'd say was unplanned as a result of Ross's injury. That's about as real as it's going to get for now I think.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Squad I consider Leo will pick for Sunday:

15. R Kearney; 14. J Larmour; 13. G Ringrose; 12. R Henshaw; 11. J Lowe; 10. R Byrne; 9. L McGrath
1. C Healy; 2. S Cronin; 3. T Furlong; 4. D Toner; 5. S Fardy; 6. R Ruddock; 7. JVdF; 8. C. Doris

Bench: J Treacy, P Dooley, A Porter, R Molony, M Deegan, JGP, C Frawley, C Kelleher

Lots of variations possible but that's the group I believe will be selected to get 5 points, with J10 and James Ryan unavailable - a week too soon.

The selection is based on the assumption that Lyon will come to stop us playing rather than with the belief they can win. Thus, the ability to resist their physicality and stick to the patterns we believe can produce 4 tries will be vital.

Our Pro14 game plan is based on running teams off their feet and out of position. Because of the bulk and strength of EPRC teams, that's a riskier option in European games. Larmour, Ringrose & Lowe provide adequate strike power and that pack can handle anything Lyon can produce.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I wouldn't like to see us move Larmour away from 15 now. He has been going really well there and DK has been going really well on the wing, while RK has very little form to speak of.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The Squad I consider Leo will pick for Sunday:

15. R Kearney; 14. J Larmour; 13. G Ringrose; 12. R Henshaw; 11. J Lowe; 10. R Byrne; 9. L McGrath
1. C Healy; 2. S Cronin; 3. T Furlong; 4. D Toner; 5. S Fardy; 6. R Ruddock; 7. JVdF; 8. C. Doris

Bench: J Treacy, P Dooley, A Porter, R Molony, M Deegan, JGP, C Frawley, C Kelleher

Lots of variations possible but that's the group I believe will be selected to get 5 points, with J10 and James Ryan unavailable - a week too soon.

The selection is based on the assumption that Lyon will come to stop us playing rather than with the belief they can win. Thus, the ability to resist their physicality and stick to the patterns we believe can produce 4 tries will be vital.

Our Pro14 game plan is based on running teams off their feet and out of position. Because of the bulk and strength of EPRC teams, that's a riskier option in European games. Larmour, Ringrose & Lowe provide adequate strike power and that pack can handle anything Lyon can produce.
Why drop DK when he has been our best winger this season?