A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Lyon, 12th Jan 13:00

Post by fourthirtythree »

the spoofer wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The Squad I consider Leo will pick for Sunday:

15. R Kearney; 14. J Larmour; 13. G Ringrose; 12. R Henshaw; 11. J Lowe; 10. R Byrne; 9. L McGrath
1. C Healy; 2. S Cronin; 3. T Furlong; 4. D Toner; 5. S Fardy; 6. R Ruddock; 7. JVdF; 8. C. Doris

Bench: J Treacy, P Dooley, A Porter, R Molony, M Deegan, JGP, C Frawley, C Kelleher

Lots of variations possible but that's the group I believe will be selected to get 5 points, with J10 and James Ryan unavailable - a week too soon.

The selection is based on the assumption that Lyon will come to stop us playing rather than with the belief they can win. Thus, the ability to resist their physicality and stick to the patterns we believe can produce 4 tries will be vital.

Our Pro14 game plan is based on running teams off their feet and out of position. Because of the bulk and strength of EPRC teams, that's a riskier option in European games. Larmour, Ringrose & Lowe provide adequate strike power and that pack can handle anything Lyon can produce.
Why drop DK when he has been our best winger this season?
And why move Larmour out of position to do it?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It wouldn't be my team either but RTB's logic was fairly clear. I can also see there being merit in rotating with someone like Rob. Just because Larmour seems to have taken his place doesn't mean that he should be cast aside.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The Squad I consider Leo will pick for Sunday:

15. R Kearney; 14. J Larmour; 13. G Ringrose; 12. R Henshaw; 11. J Lowe; 10. R Byrne; 9. L McGrath
1. C Healy; 2. S Cronin; 3. T Furlong; 4. D Toner; 5. S Fardy; 6. R Ruddock; 7. JVdF; 8. C. Doris

Bench: J Treacy, P Dooley, A Porter, R Molony, M Deegan, JGP, C Frawley, C Kelleher

Lots of variations possible but that's the group I believe will be selected to get 5 points, with J10 and James Ryan unavailable - a week too soon.

The selection is based on the assumption that Lyon will come to stop us playing rather than with the belief they can win. Thus, the ability to resist their physicality and stick to the patterns we believe can produce 4 tries will be vital.

Our Pro14 game plan is based on running teams off their feet and out of position. Because of the bulk and strength of EPRC teams, that's a riskier option in European games. Larmour, Ringrose & Lowe provide adequate strike power and that pack can handle anything Lyon can produce.
Why drop DK when he has been our best winger this season?
And why move Larmour out of position to do it?
Exactly. If they want to give Rob game time, do it during the 6Ns window. Chances are he’ll be available to us- and we’ll be glad to be able to select him in the absence of Larmour, who’ll probably be Ireland’s first choice 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I imagine that Lyon will kick a lot of ball. With that in mind, I'd be happy to start Rob @ 15. Not exactly devastating if Larmour starts there though.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I'd pick Larmour at 15 this weekend and Rob over in Treviso. The auld home and away, horses for courses selection.

Treviso will be targeting our game quite intently I would think.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

It will be interesting what team Lyon put out.

3 of their players were selected for the french squad - Demba Bamba (who played against us last time) and then Dylan Cretin (back row) and Killian Geraci (2nd row). They are all kids! All 3 played against Agen last weekend.

it will be a sign of intent to have their french squad members playing
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

glenageary wrote:It will be interesting what team Lyon put out.

3 of their players were selected for the french squad - Demba Bamba (who played against us last time) and then Dylan Cretin (back row) and Killian Geraci (2nd row). They are all kids! All 3 played against Agen last weekend.

it will be a sign of intent to have their french squad members playing
Lambey could come back for them. He was out with concussion since October - the French ironically take it very seriously in the league.
I think he's a cracking player. He's club captain. He'll be looking to make a mark if he does, as he's missed out on the French squad.

They've a load of injuries though, so I'm not sure what kind of strength team they will send.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Team mostly as expected except Tracey and Deegan to start.

Lovin the Max Deegan decision. Doris has been brilliant, but it shows the squad that when a guy puts in a huge performance like he did last week then it won't be ignored.

Brilliant management! :clap:

Last edited by LeinsterLeader on January 10th, 2020, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Lyon Team:

The LOU Rugby start XV: Kaabèche, Alkhazashvili, Gomez Kodela - Rolland, Roodt - Geraci, Oosthuizen, Bruni - Pélissié, Buttin - Nakaitaci, Regard (cap), Dumortier, Mignot - Arnold.
The replacements : Maurouard, Chaume, Yameogo, Halaifonua, Lambey, Hidalgo-Clyne, Moura, Tuisova.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Really like that selection and how it suggests we will play.

I fully expect to see Doris and Cronin starting next weekend, and maybe Porter too. And Ryan if fit. JGP and Rob could also come into the mix. And Connors. Very strong squad.

As expected, a depleted Lyon side. If we click, this could be a big win.
Lambey will come off the bench to start his return to rugby.
Last edited by curates_egg on January 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Team mostly as expected except Tracey and Deegan to start.

Lovin the Max Deegan decision. Doris has been brilliant, but it shows the squad that when a guy puts in a huge performance like he did last week then it won't be ignored.

Brilliant management! :clap:

Fully 'Locked and loaded' I would say...
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Here's our squad, for reference:

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Jordan Larmour (44)
14. Dave Kearney (144)
13. Garry Ringrose (70)
12. Robbie Henshaw (42)
11. James Lowe (39)
10. Ross Byrne (82)
9. Luke McGrath (119)
1. Cian Healy (214)
2. James Tracy (104)
3. Tadhg Furlong (106)
4. Devin Toner (242)
5. Scott Fardy (54) CAPTAIN
6. Rhys Ruddock (167)
7. Josh van der Flier (78)
8. Max Deegan (58)

16. Seán Cronin (176)
17. Peter Dooley (71)
18. Andrew Porter (60)
19. Ross Molony (91)
20. Caelan Doris (27)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (83)
22. Ciarán Frawley (20)
23. Rob Kearney (215)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really like that Deegan decision too. I would've gone for Doris but it just shows a willingness to pick on form.

That Lyon side is a bit of a shell side it seems - no Bamba, Ngatai, Tuisova, Gill, Fearns, Cretin, Wisneiski etc.

They do have three 6'6 guys who are predominately locks in the backrow though, so it's going to be a battle up front and at lineout. So will be interesting to see how Deegan goes in that context.

Buttin has a bit of history in the RDS also!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Deegan over Doris is a brilliant call. Showing the team that they pick on form (though Doris is in great form too), but mainly showing the two players that there isn't really a pecking order between them and keeping the competition between them very alive. I expect Doris to have an impressive cameo in the second half.

Anyone else surprised to see Fardy captaining the side ahead of Ruddock?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Laighin Break wrote:Deegan over Doris is a brilliant call. Showing the team that they pick on form (though Doris is in great form too), but mainly showing the two players that there isn't really a pecking order between them and keeping the competition between them very alive. I expect Doris to have an impressive cameo in the second half.

Anyone else surprised to see Fardy captaining the side ahead of Ruddock?
Not really, we don't have a fixed vice captain, both are in the leadership group and Scotty is an outstanding leader.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Interesting selection from Lyon

Only six players who started in Lyon in November'19 are included - Roodt, Bruni - Nakaitaci, Regard (cap), Mignot - Arnold.

Some big names missing too - Bamba - Gill, Fearns - Couilloud , Wisniewski -
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

wixfjord wrote:I really like that Deegan decision too. I would've gone for Doris but it just shows a willingness to pick on form.

That Lyon side is a bit of a shell side it seems - no Bamba, Ngatai, Tuisova, Gill, Fearns, Cretin, Wisneiski etc.

They do have three 6'6 guys who are predominately locks in the backrow though, so it's going to be a battle up front and at lineout. So will be interesting to see how Deegan goes in that context.

Buttin has a bit of history in the RDS also!
what's the history?
CrookedIn
Beginner

Post by CrookedIn »

Lyon are obviously concentrating on Top 14 so the bonus point should be there for the taking.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bails wrote:Interesting selection from Lyon

Only six players who started in Lyon in November'19 are included - Roodt, Bruni - Nakaitaci, Regard (cap), Mignot - Arnold.

Some big names missing too - Bamba - Gill, Fearns - Couilloud , Wisniewski -

As mentioned above, they've loads of injuries: Barassi, Fernandez, Ric, Doussain, Julien Puricelli, Mignot, Goujon, Ivaldi, Fearns, Palission, Laporte, Couilloud...all injured.
Of the squad this week, Chaume and Lambey are making returns from injury.
Buttin, who is starting at outhalf, was also out injured the last few weeks. Not sure he ever played against us when he was with Clermont.

Given their injury list, it's probably not worth risking their big names for a dead rubber.
Bamba and Wisniewski played last weekend, when they won away.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

The final two rounds of the European pool games in January normally set the pulse racing.

Fans are sweating over qualification and working out the permutations from the other pools to see if there is any way to get through. The fans of Ulster, Munster and Connacht face a potentially tense but exhilarating two weeks. Well Munster and Connacht are more than likely screwed and Ulster should go through as a second placed qualifier comfortably enough but it will be at least interesting.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.