Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by Serb »

We always do pretty badly injury wise from the Six Nations. Last season, we lost Sexton and Henshaw at least for our quarter final. It’d be a disaster if the same were to happen for the Saracens game, we need to be close to 100% for this one.

Our prize for winning this would be a semi final vs Racing or Clermont. If we get to Marseille, we’ll have done it the hard way.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The South Africa tour is an interesting challenge. Do they send McNamara over with a virtual 'A' team? The first team won't just need to avoid the travel. They'll also need other top players around to train against and access to coaches.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Regarding who goes to South Africa - any merit in the following? Send a fully loaded (or as close as dammit) squad with as many of the second team as possible to SA for the Cheetahs game. Have the entire squad train hard for the week in advance of that game; play the game in Blomfontein with a team including a lot of first teamers to get them back in Leinster mode; then send the first team home straight away (jet lag isn't an issue but the 11(?) hour flight is) and let them concentrate for the best part of two weeks on the Saracens game?
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Lar wrote:Regarding who goes to South Africa - any merit in the following? Send a fully loaded (or as close as dammit) squad with as many of the second team as possible to SA for the Cheetahs game. Have the entire squad train hard for the week in advance of that game; play the game in Blomfontein with a team including a lot of first teamers to get them back in Leinster mode; then send the first team home straight away (jet lag isn't an issue but the 11(?) hour flight is) and let them concentrate for the best part of two weeks on the Saracens game?
I think there are rules that prohibit you from bringing any more than 28 players. May just be linked to the Pro14 paying airfare and the rest are at your own expense. I can't remember
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't think you're allowed bring extra along to keep a level playing field.

Should we start bellowing about restraint of trade now?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Billy Vs arm break has been confirmed. Hopefully he won’t be back for the 1/4 final. If he is back we have little to no chance of winning the game.

Saracens will be gunning it and we can have all the fast pacey inter play we want but if we get bullied off the park like in Newcastle it won’t matter a jot.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

bluemagic wrote:If he is back we have little to no chance of winning the game.
Ah wouldja stop
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

bluemagic wrote:Billy Vs arm break has been confirmed. Hopefully he won’t be back for the 1/4 final. If he is back we have little to no chance of winning the game.

Saracens will be gunning it and we can have all the fast pacey inter play we want but if we get bullied off the park like in Newcastle it won’t matter a jot.
This is a sad post.
Firstly hoping a players injury keeps him out of a game and then the just plain negativity.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

johng wrote:
Lar wrote:Regarding who goes to South Africa - any merit in the following? Send a fully loaded (or as close as dammit) squad with as many of the second team as possible to SA for the Cheetahs game. Have the entire squad train hard for the week in advance of that game; play the game in Blomfontein with a team including a lot of first teamers to get them back in Leinster mode; then send the first team home straight away (jet lag isn't an issue but the 11(?) hour flight is) and let them concentrate for the best part of two weeks on the Saracens game?
I think there are rules that prohibit you from bringing any more than 28 players. May just be linked to the Pro14 paying airfare and the rest are at your own expense. I can't remember
Thanks for that - I either hadn't appreciated that or had forgotten it. As regards 433's reply in the next post it hardly seems that it levels any playing field. If the match were in Dublin Leinster would have 50plus players to choose from. I can understand the airfares point better.
Four Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

johng wrote:
bluemagic wrote:If he is back we have little to no chance of winning the game.
Ah wouldja stop
But hes right. I mean its the "wolf pack" that are coming to defeat us. Also need to consider that they should be on their road to redemption after the 6 nations. All the talk of cheating will be consigned to the past and the English will unite behind their rising heroes.

We are doomed. Haven't a chance. I assume the bookies are paying out already.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote:I don't think you're allowed bring extra along to keep a level playing field.

Cheetahs and Kings are paying quite a bit into Pro 14 Rugby.

I'd imagine there is some stipulation like Champions Cup that visiting teams must maintain something close to the strongest team available.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Morf wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I don't think you're allowed bring extra along to keep a level playing field.

Cheetahs and Kings are paying quite a bit into Pro 14 Rugby.

I'd imagine there is some stipulation like Champions Cup that visiting teams must maintain something close to the strongest team available.
There's no such stipulation in the Champions Cup. You have to name your strongest possible squad at the start of the competition but you cab select whomever you like from that squad for each match, excluding the usual provisos about selecting 6 trained front rows for each match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wexford bohs
Beginner

Post by wexford bohs »

blockhead wrote:
bluemagic wrote:Billy Vs arm break has been confirmed. Hopefully he won’t be back for the 1/4 final. If he is back we have little to no chance of winning the game.

This is a sad post.
Firstly hoping a players injury keeps him out of a game and then the just plain negativity.
Personally I hope Billy V doesn't play either. I'd rather play Saracens in a qtr final in dublin than in a neutral venue. Winner of this tie wins the tournament for me. I think Exeter will come out of the other side of the draw
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Every team has a somewhat derogatory nickname that the opposition uses, there's nothing wrong with it per se as long as its at least a little bit clever and isn't actually offensive, be it turnips, gringos, pests, not-nots or even ladyboys (I remember being on 'the island' in Toulouse back in 06 and there were hundreds of Leinster fans singing 'ladyboys, ladyboys' - though the coiner turned out to be something of a homophobe which puts a darker hue on it).

Sarries used to be the Saffacens, which was a good one as they were part owned by a South African consortium and had a lot of Saffers playing for them. Salarycens/sins though, its just a bit too much hard work. Its a pity Chris Ashton left, because then we could call them RHI
My memory of Le Stadium in 06 was the Toulouse fans treating us with respect before hand and applauding us leaving the ground afterwards. I'd like other teams to have similar memories of how we respect them (but with us winning obviously).

Remember the sign " Welcome to Trevor's friends" - and they really appreciated Hickey's try - great fans - mind you I still have a soft spot for the ASM fans - they are great as the supported their team so long without winning anything - I will never forget how their 10, Brock James, never took the drop kick to win the QF for them at the RDS. The ASM fans said to me after - sure that what they do - i.e. always bottle it!! a bit like what Munster used to say about us.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Jeepers the negative stuff isn't the best....

This Leinster squad is the best we have ever had and we is winning this one.....no doubt in my mind and even with a couple of injuries we will still win.

Positivity and trust in the boys !!

Bring it on.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blueberry wrote:Jeepers the negative stuff isn't the best....

This Leinster squad is the best we have ever had and we is winning this one.....no doubt in my mind and even with a couple of injuries we will still win.

Positivity and trust in the boys !!

Bring it on.
+1 :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Twist wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The French Club owners are already in discussion with the FFR about the eligibility of Saracens to continue in this year's EPRC Competition 'as they qualified illegally'. Watch this space.
Where did you read that?

I think the only thing worse than actually having drawn them, would be getting a bye. (a) We need to play tough games at some point; and (b) it would put an asterisk beside our season in the eventuality we managed to go all the way.

On the other part: I thought the non-JIFF limit was 16? Plenty of Top 14 clubs are under that. Also, you could bring in better non-JIFF players.
Would Glasgow not be given the place? I can’t imagine the EPCR tolerating a cancelled knockout game and Glasgow would jump at it. I can’t imagine any objection from us either

Tangentially, there’s a lot of anger amongst their supporters toward Nigel Owens and I think they have a point
What did Owen’s do to cause that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

The International starters will probably have a IRFU imposed rest week so that’s them out of the cheetahs game so they definitely won’t travel .... I’d be inclined to leave Stuart at home too to focus on the Sarries game. Everything we do between now and then should be done with that the quarter final in mind.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:

This is a sad post.
+1. Very sad- for multiple reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:I don't know how you can say they've declined. They beat us well in Newcastle and have had a number of upgrades since both 2018 and 2019.
+1