Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Barry
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by Barry »

wixfjord wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Surely the SA tour will be cancelled? Any word on this?
Do you reckon?

Only three cases there currently.

We could of course send the whole team down there and use it as a 'warm weather training camp' for a few weeks.

Only issue is mild jet lag, albeit the Kings game is on the Friday, 8 days before Sarries game, so more than enough recovery time there.

Didn't Munster bring a lot of their guys to SA before the Racing game two years ago?

(Obviously this is all with the caveat that all or none of these games may go ahead!)
As of last Friday Leinster Rugby were confident that the 2 SA games would go ahead - although FFR were equally confident that this weekend's international would proceed.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

SA currently showing 3 cases of confirmed COVID 19, Ireland 21.

It is surely a low risk option to dispatch a group of sports people from one to the other for 2 weeks.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Saracens return some of their ticket allocation. Surprise surprise
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I presume that Leo C has immediately requested release of Leinster players from Ireland Squad so that he can take the Q/F Squad to SA for an intense prep for Sarries game.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
Do you reckon?

We could of course send the whole team down there and use it as a 'warm weather training camp' for a few weeks.

Only issue is mild jet lag, albeit the Kings game is on the Friday, 8 days before Sarries game, so more than enough recovery time there.

Didn't Munster bring a lot of their guys to SA before the Racing game two years ago?

(Obviously this is all with the caveat that all or none of these games may go ahead!)
There wouldn't be any jet lag based on time difference. Just fatigue from the travel.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Do you reckon?

There wouldn't be any jet lag based on time difference. Just fatigue from the travel.
Yeah sorry that's what I mean. I'd imagine they're getting a chartered flight too so would probably be direct to Dublin.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Super Rugby games are still going ahead.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote:There wouldn't be any jet lag based on time difference. Just fatigue from the travel.
Hopefully they all have their visas in order :wink:

Seriously though, it would be a big chunk of cash to bring an extended squad there for a few weeks, with additional risk. You can never know what might happen within those two weeks, and what travel restrictions might be in place then.
For me, it would make more sense for the Saracens squad players to prepare in Ireland, on the hope that the game goes ahead behind closed doors.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Do you reckon?

Yeah sorry that's what I mean. I'd imagine they're getting a chartered flight too so would probably be direct to Dublin.
I did London-Cape Town on a flight which took 13 hours (due to a nutter at Heathrow running onto the runway) wedged into the cheapest economy seat going as a 6ft1 tall amateur prop bodied man, and it wasn't so bad. The squad in premium economy/business class would do rather well I would have thought.

Although how the likes of Devin Toner (and in the past Mike Ross) managed to not get cramp on a CityJet flight I'll never know.
Anyone But New Zealand
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Blueberry wrote:4 weeks is a very long time and if cases rise dramatically here there is simple no way it will go ahead - just mention risk or fiduciary duty at a meeting and they will all kick to touch and stop the game (Please excuse the pathetic rugby pun).

Going to be a long 4 weeks waiting to see how this pans out..............I wouldn't rule out anything ATM - the whole competition is at risk this year I suspect.

Only time will tell and we can only hope for the best !!
In 4 weeks time either the game will be going ahead as normal, or we will all be in lock down forbidden from leaving the house with the gardai patrolling the streets.
I find the idea that we can hinder the disease to any great extent by merely cancelling a few sporting or social events now to be dubious at best, but in 4 weeks I would find it utterly laughable.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

From a purely cynical/reach-the-semi-at-all-costs point of view, it would probably be best if the whole HC was "postponed" until September, as is the most likely outcome for the 6 Nations.
Saracens will have half their current squad by then. Yes, I know, we want to beat their best available team and it's not right to wish misfortune on others. This is Saracens, though.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

joooooe wrote: Saracens will have half their current squad by then.
On what are you basing this prediction? As I mentioned above, it seems - based on what I have seen - that a lot of their internationals are committing to staying (George, Daly, Goode and Koch have confirmed but there are rumours about lots of others staying).
My guess is that this is because they are so balls-deep in the property investment side of their "remuneration package" that it is not attractive to break contract.

I am not a subscriber to the cliche that 'we want to beat them with their best players'.
Leinster and Ireland really struggle to deal with Billy Vunipola (and Tuilagi) and I would guess Skelton is similar. I've no problem saying that I would rather play Sarries without Billy.
I've seen no updates on his injury in a month, but I would guess he is touch-and-go for the scheduled game.
In that sense, I would rather us face them now (even behind closed doors), than September.
From what I have read, the Vunipolas and Farrell are staying. This is from last week: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 79491.html .
Last edited by curates_egg on March 9th, 2020, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

heno wrote:
Blueberry wrote:4 weeks is a very long time and if cases rise dramatically here there is simple no way it will go ahead - just mention risk or fiduciary duty at a meeting and they will all kick to touch and stop the game (Please excuse the pathetic rugby pun).

Going to be a long 4 weeks waiting to see how this pans out..............I wouldn't rule out anything ATM - the whole competition is at risk this year I suspect.

Only time will tell and we can only hope for the best !!
In 4 weeks time either the game will be going ahead as normal, or we will all be in lock down forbidden from leaving the house with the gardai patrolling the streets.
I find the idea that we can hinder the disease to any great extent by merely cancelling a few sporting or social events now to be dubious at best, but in 4 weeks I would find it utterly laughable.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-outbreak only as part of a suite of measures; but it has to help in slowing the spread; and to lots of people directly and indirectly there is and will be nothing at all laughable about it.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

joooooe wrote:From a purely cynical/reach-the-semi-at-all-costs point of view, it would probably be best if the whole HC was "postponed" until September, as is the most likely outcome for the 6 Nations.
Saracens will have half their current squad by then. Yes, I know, we want to beat their best available team and it's not right to wish misfortune on others. This is Saracens, though.
Edit: wrong thread
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on March 9th, 2020, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

outcast eddie wrote:
SA currently showing 3 cases of confirmed COVID 19, Ireland 21.

It is surely a low risk option to dispatch a group of sports people from one to the other for 2 weeks.
They mightn't want us
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Reading through the lines of this EPRC statement, they clearly want the games to go ahead and would prefer going ahead behind closed doors to postponement.
https://www.the42.ie/epcr-coronavirus-c ... 5-Mar2020/

Not really surprising. They get the TV revenue and maintain the integrity of this year’s competition for as long as possible.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Do you reckon?

(Obviously this is all with the caveat that all or none of these games may go ahead!)[/quote]

There wouldn't be any jet lag based on time difference. Just fatigue from the travel.[/quote]

Yeah sorry that's what I mean. I'd imagine they're getting a chartered flight too so would probably be direct to Dublin.[/quote]

I doubt it very much that they would be chartering a direct flight - it would cost an absolute fortune. ( remember on a charter flight , they have to cover the ‘light leg ‘ also)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This might be harsh in the circumstances but this is another reason why I hate SA being a part of northern hemisphere rugby, it's just a pain in the arse for all concerned.
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

Isn't there a restriction on the size of the squad that we can bring to SA?

Either way, some tough decision to be made. Many of our players may not have any game time since the England game (23rd Feb), unless they go to SA.

Salarysins are playing Bristol away (20th March) and Quins home (28th March). Two good games to prepare for the Leinster game.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Why are ye all going on about the South Africa tour on this thread?
Safacens jokes aside.