Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by OTT »

It was Goode who filled in for Farrell at 10 in the quarter last season and might have even got mom not sure on that I know he played really well there anyway, their issue this year is that they have lost a lot of back three cover, no Malins, Gallagher, Tompkins or Williams to go in at fullback. So you would think it would have to be Vunipola at 10 this time with Goode staying at 15 out of necessity. No matter how much potential he has I’d prefer to be facing Vunipola then Farrell who is one of the top 3 10’s in the world for me.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

OTT wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:23 am It was Goode who filled in for Farrell at 10 in the quarter last season and might have even got mom not sure on that I know he played really well there anyway, their issue this year is that they have lost a lot of back three cover, no Malins, Gallagher, Tompkins or Williams to go in at fullback. So you would think it would have to be Vunipola at 10 this time with Goode staying at 15 out of necessity. No matter how much potential he has I’d prefer to be facing Vunipola then Farrell who is one of the top 3 10’s in the world for me.
Munster didn't give them much of a game last year in the semis at the ricoh. goode was european player of the year last year, I think. just before he went on the lash for 3 days, in his kit, after the HC final.

I think you are right..goode at 15 and vunipola at 10...Manu kicked a tough touchline conv yesterday apparently.

That said, the real battle will be upfront in this game. who is at 10 might be less important than how we try to nullify their crash ball attack. might try and find a full match version of the 2018 clash in dublin when leavy had a brilliant game. highlights are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6zRweQpQk&t
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Bit of an elephant in the room but I'll put it out there....... should they bench Ronan K?

I wouldn't pretend to know the the nuts and bolts of how a lineout works and if it's not down to his throwing then fair enough, but a similar return from our first half lineout yesterday against Sarries and we'll probably lose. :shock:

All that is a bit simplistic I know,but I think it needs to b e considered.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

So assume we're looking at the following give or take:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Doris, Connors, Conan, McGrath/JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan, Larmour
Byrne, Cronin, Bent/Furlong, Fardy, VDF, McGrath/JGP, Byrne, ROL

I'd start Connors because he seems to be in *slightly* better form and can target Billy V.

Would also start JGP again because he's in better form and he adds a dimension and a bit of speed to our attacking game that McGrath doesn't imo.

But could just as easily see McGrath/VDF there.

Unlikely to see Tadhg but hard to know. Would be a boost to have him for 20 mins.

The lineout just has to be sorted this week. It's not good enough to be messing up calls and overthrowing. Itoje will eat us alive if that continues.
There is an argument to start Cronin for his experience and just hope he can have a good day with the darts.
We could also stick Fardy at 6 and put Doris at 8. Wouldn't be a selection on form to bring in Scott and drop Conan, but it is an option to try shore up the lineout and match their pack physically.

We're also still giving away 'off feet' penalties in attacking situations. Really surprised this hasn't been sorted and it could kill us at a vital moment.

Sarries have clearly been targeting this game for months, and will have been watching us very closely.

Expect to see them starting something like:

Mako, George, Koch, Itoje, Swinson, Rhodes, Wray, Billy, Wigglesworth, Vunipola, Maitland, Barritt, Daly, Lewington, Goode
Woolstencroft, Barrington, Clarey, Hunter-Hill, Clarke, Davies, Taylor, Morris

I reckon we'll see Mako start even though he has had little rugby.
I think Wigglesworth will be given the start too, particularly with Farrell out.
Could also see Goode at 10 and Daly pushed to 15.

Their starting 15 is still a serious side, but with glaring drop offs from what it was, particularly at second row and halfback.
Their bench is nowhere near what it was, and we have a big edge here imo.

It's basically the last big effort of their 'dynasty'.

It will be tight.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The element of the Game Plan that will be most important is keeping up the tempo of the game. We have 45 playees or so who have played four games in successive weekends of high tempo rugby without appearing to tire or pick up injuries.

That's in direct contrast with the Sarries preparation which has been chop and change and a number of their games have been stop / start / bosh.

It's hard to see how players like Mako V & Wiggelsworth, Swinson or Billy can match the tempo we can impose, even if they can up the ante in physicality.

Some may argue that our opponents over the past four weeks have been only mediocre. But, taking a line through the internationals we've faced from our Southern & Northren breatren, it appears that our S&C work has been spot on.

Keep it going & foot down in six days time.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:52 am The element of the Game Plan that will be most important is keeping up the tempo of the game. We have 45 playees or so who have played four games in successive weekends of high tempo rugby without appearing to tire or pick up injuries.

That's in direct contrast with the Sarries preparation which has been chop and change and a number of their games have been stop / start / bosh.

It's hard to see how players like Mako V & Wiggelsworth, Swinson or Billy can match the tempo we can impose, even if they can up the ante in physicality.

Yep that would be my take too, and is also why I think we should start JGP.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

wixfjord wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:27 am So assume we're looking at the following give or take:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Doris, Connors, Conan, McGrath/JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan, Larmour
Byrne, Cronin, Bent/Furlong, Fardy, VDF, McGrath/JGP, Byrne, ROL

I'd start Connors because he seems to be in *slightly* better form and can target Billy V.

Would also start JGP again because he's in better form and he adds a dimension and a bit of speed to our attacking game that McGrath doesn't imo.

But could just as easily see McGrath/VDF there.

Unlikely to see Tadhg but hard to know. Would be a boost to have him for 20 mins.

The lineout just has to be sorted this week. It's not good enough to be messing up calls and overthrowing. Itoje will eat us alive if that continues.
There is an argument to start Cronin for his experience and just hope he can have a good day with the darts.
We could also stick Fardy at 6 and put Doris at 8. Wouldn't be a selection on form to bring in Scott and drop Conan, but it is an option to try shore up the lineout and match their pack physically.

We're also still giving away 'off feet' penalties in attacking situations. Really surprised this hasn't been sorted and it could kill us at a vital moment.

Sarries have clearly been targeting this game for months, and will have been watching us very closely.

Expect to see them starting something like:

Mako, George, Koch, Itoje, Swinson, Rhodes, Wray, Billy, Wigglesworth, Vunipola, Maitland, Barritt, Daly, Lewington, Goode
Woolstencroft, Barrington, Clarey, Hunter-Hill, Clarke, Davies, Taylor, Morris

I reckon we'll see Mako start even though he has had little rugby.
I think Wigglesworth will be given the start too, particularly with Farrell out.
Could also see Goode at 10 and Daly pushed to 15.

Their starting 15 is still a serious side, but with glaring drop offs from what it was, particularly at second row and halfback.
Their bench is nowhere near what it was, and we have a big edge here imo.

It's basically the last big effort of their 'dynasty'.

It will be tight.
For what it's worth here's the line up for Sarries against Exeter today:

Saracens: Hooley; Segun, Morris, Sloan, Obatoyinbo; Manu Vunipola, Whiteley; Crean, Pifeleti, Clarey, Kpoku, Hunter-Hill, Clark (capt), Reffell, Venter.

Replacements: Woolstencroft, Hislop, Ibuanokpe, Boon, Christie, Day, Socino, Hallett.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Both Exeter and Saracens have put out what amounts to reserve/academy sides.

Manu Vunipola's selection means that they're either trying to run minutes into him, or they aren't going to use him.

:roll:

:lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Remember the days when the Pemiership was a league of such strength you HAD TO play your best team, no matter what? Good Times.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cianostays wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:13 pm Remember the days when the Pemiership was a league of such strength you HAD TO play your best team, no matter what? Good Times.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
And also, do you remember when the Premiership's strength was the reason why they dominated in Europe? Not like now of course, the players are worn out from a gruelling season ( even in October :roll: ).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

HT: SAR 15-5 EXE
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Can't believe that young Vunipola will be filling the 10 shirt against us. Although both teams are largely shadow units, the Sarries patterns are very familiar, notwithstanding the relatively pedestrian pace and stop / start refereeing.

Sarries hard and strong on the defensive line. Running very interesting and innovative lines, particularly the wingers. Their second XV are big and strong. I can't imagine their First xv will be any different.

Nothing easy but nothing impossible so long as we don't concede stupid or repetitive penalties.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FT: SAR 40-17 EXE. Looks like were not the only ones with a decent academy....
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

riocard911 wrote: September 13th, 2020, 6:23 pm FT: SAR 40-17 EXE. Looks like were not the only ones with a decent academy....
They'll walk the RFU Championship.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Forget Saracens form of late. Everything they do and have been doing since they got kicked out of the Prem is focused purely on this Saturday. Club insiders consider this QF as simply the biggest game in the clubs history. Losing Farrell was a huge blow but will only make the even more determined.
We will have to meet them head on.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 7:54 am Forget Saracens form of late. Everything they do and have been doing since they got kicked out of the Prem is focused purely on this Saturday. Club insiders consider this QF as simply the biggest game in the clubs history. Losing Farrell was a huge blow but will only make the even more determined.

We were never going to get an easy ride. If we were in their situation imagine how up for it we'd be.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

ronk wrote: September 14th, 2020, 7:57 am
blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 7:54 am Forget Saracens form of late. Everything they do and have been doing since they got kicked out of the Prem is focused purely on this Saturday. Club insiders consider this QF as simply the biggest game in the clubs history. Losing Farrell was a huge blow but will only make the even more determined.

We were never going to get an easy ride. If we were in their situation imagine how up for it we'd be.
I wonder do they think they were hard done by? The disciplinary measures are only motivational if this is the case, otherwise they got caught cheating and it was a fair cop. I would expect most fair minded souls to be of this opinion and this must account for a portion of their squad.

Also, if we were in our position imagine how up for it we'd be? Alongside Exeter, perhaps Leinster have been the team most harmed by their loose approach to rules governing squad makeup in their league. Would we have a fifth star if they didn't have the stellar line up they had in Newcastle?

Also, I'm expecting some hack to headline with 'Immovable object meets irresistible force' in the build up this week.

I think we'll have the measure of them.

Bring it! :)
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Both Mako and Wigglesworth will be available for this according to McCall yesterday. Quelle surprise.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

outcast eddie wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:52 am
ronk wrote: September 14th, 2020, 7:57 am

I wonder do they think they were hard done by? The disciplinary measures are only motivational if this is the case, otherwise they got caught cheating and it was a fair cop. I would expect most fair minded souls to be of this opinion and this must account for a portion of their squad.

Also, if we were in our position imagine how up for it we'd be? Alongside Exeter, perhaps Leinster have been the team most harmed by their loose approach to rules governing squad makeup in their league. Would we have a fifth star if they didn't have the stellar line up they had in Newcastle?

Also, I'm expecting some hack to headline with 'Immovable object meets irresistible force' in the build up this week.

I think we'll have the measure of them.

Bring it! :)
I don't think so. It's an internal English matter, nothing to do with us. A self-imposed restriction on spending which handicaps the English sides when they play in Europe. Saracens broke these rules, cheated the other English teams out of titles, euro qualification and into relegation.
As Sexton pointed out we've played French sides which have spent way more on their squad than Saracens.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

outcast eddie wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:52 am I wonder do they think they were hard done by? The disciplinary measures are only motivational if this is the case, otherwise they got caught cheating and it was a fair cop. I would expect most fair minded souls to be of this opinion and this must account for a portion of their squad.
Thats not how it works though. When you're inside the bubble, everything that happens outside is distorted by, and refracted through, the surface of the bubble itself. The new, additional, meaning of that word at this time will only have enhanced that sense. Their contact with people outside the bubble, contact that might leaven the sense of being unfairly targetted, is much reduced. They are in an echo chamber of perceived injustice. As far as the Saracens squad is concerned I'd have no doubt that the overriding attitude is that "they couldn't stop us on the pitch, so they've been reduced to trying to stop us off it - well we'll show them". That makes an already dangerous side even more so. After all, what do they have to lose?
I have Bumbleflex