Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:17 am As far as the Saracens squad is concerned I'd have no doubt that the overriding attitude is that "they couldn't stop us on the pitch, so they've been reduced to trying to stop us off it - well we'll show them".
Ah yes, the Stephen Jones perspective.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:21 am
Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:17 am As far as the Saracens squad is concerned I'd have no doubt that the overriding attitude is that "they couldn't stop us on the pitch, so they've been reduced to trying to stop us off it - well we'll show them".
Ah yes, the Stephen Jones perspective.
It’s also what happened. PRL went above and beyond their initial points deduction when they realised Saracens might stay up. They all stayed away from signing Saracens players in a fire sale to ensure there was no way out.

Saracens did wrong and they earned their punishment, but it was decided by motivated reasoning. We were on the wrong side of that self-interest when PRL killed the Heineken Cup (we were champions when they signed the deal with BT) so I don’t pretend that PRL view us as victims of Saracens.

EDIT: I still don’t agree with Jones.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

at half time on saturday, with our wayward lineout and not being great handling the box kicks..alongside some of Ulsters play - especially in the first 20 minutes, where they played some great attacking rugby, I was getting really nervous about the salarycens game. "if we play like that next week, we're toast" I was thinking.

2nd half changed that, especially after the bench was emptied and Sexton came on. Ross byrne had a great game but it felt our pace went up after johnny came on.... we definitely moved up a gear or two. most satisfying, for me, was that our defense was unreal, especially in the second half...players following up with defensive tackles a few seconds after being in a tackle. ringrose had a few of those but it was right across the defensive line. great team effort. Ulster, fair play to them, had some great attacking moves and their offloads were countering our double tackling well. they fluffed their chances and the intercept killed them off, I thought.

didn't bother watching the salarycens v exeter game yesterday....both were fielding mostly academy sides.

quietly confident about next week now. I know they will be throwing everything at us but if we start like played in the final 25mins on sat...we should be okay.

Anyone know much about Pascal Gaüzère, the ref next weekend?
Last edited by MylesNaGapoleen on September 14th, 2020, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:01 am
Anyone know much about Pascal Gaüzère, the ref next weekend? Not much big game experience apart from the odd 6 nations game and WC2015 matches.
I know he hates Johnny Sexton
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

But he has to talk to him now. :D
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:08 am
Anyone know much about Pascal Gaüzère, the ref next weekend? Not much big game experience apart from the odd 6 nations game and WC2015 matches.
A French Munster fan, he sounds like an awful shite.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

More seriously, he is a hugely experienced Ref who has reffed us a number of times in Europe and domestically
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:17 am
outcast eddie wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:52 am I wonder do they think they were hard done by? The disciplinary measures are only motivational if this is the case, otherwise they got caught cheating and it was a fair cop. I would expect most fair minded souls to be of this opinion and this must account for a portion of their squad.
Thats not how it works though. When you're inside the bubble, everything that happens outside is distorted by, and refracted through, the surface of the bubble itself. The new, additional, meaning of that word at this time will only have enhanced that sense. Their contact with people outside the bubble, contact that might leaven the sense of being unfairly targetted, is much reduced. They are in an echo chamber of perceived injustice. As far as the Saracens squad is concerned I'd have no doubt that the overriding attitude is that "they couldn't stop us on the pitch, so they've been reduced to trying to stop us off it - well we'll show them". That makes an already dangerous side even more so. After all, what do they have to lose?
Remember Alex Sanderson’s touchline interview after the initial (think it was then) verdict? The haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:11 am
Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:08 am
A French Munster fan, he sounds like an awful shite.
Don’t even go zere.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Dave Cahill wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
More seriously, he is a hugely experienced Ref who has reffed us a number of times in Europe and domestically
do you recall which leinster games he reffed? he reffed australia v ireland test a few years ago...when Johnny came out with that "I know you hate me..." line. https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sexton-165185
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

Surprised people are keeping the same team as just won the PRO14. Ulster didn't capitalise on Leinster's mistakes at lineout and in the air so there needs to be improvement in both against Saracens.
Lineout is a perennial problem - so who's to blame? Does Cronin come back?
Not retrieving restarts is directly as a result of losing Kearney - he's been at 23 all year for HCup - surely a better option than ROL on the bench. Obviously them not having Farrell makes Larmour's job easier but Kearney should be there just in case.
Finally penalties - we need discipline or they will take full advantage.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Off the top of my head, Leinster v Glasgow in a playoff a couple of years ago, Leinster v Exeter and Bath in the Aviva, Wasps in the Amlin and he was supposed to ref us against Munster a couple of years ago as well but got injured the previous weekend leading to Rolland having to take over, not uncontroversially.
I have Bumbleflex
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

What was that gobshite Jones on about yesterday in the ST, when he said Salarysins were battling on 3 fronts ?
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

If you're at rock bottom but keep digging, you'll find Stephen Jones. His stance on Saracens is not even parody anymore, I kinda just feel sorry for the guy
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leo Cullen has issued an update on the squad as attention now turns towards the Champions Cup quarter-final against Saracens.

Winger Fergus McFadden has resumed full training this week after recovering from a calf injury while James Ryan came through the game against Ulster Rugby with no issues following his return from a shoulder injury

Loan signing Ciaran Parker has completed his COVID-19 protocols having arrived in from the UK over two weeks ago and has started training with the team.

Both Tadhg Furlong (back) and Dan Leavy (knee) will be further reviewed this week regarding involvement against Saracens

Hooker Dan Sheehan has had a procedure on a cheekbone injury and will be out of action for between four to six weeks.

There is no new updates on Vakh Abdaladze (back), Dave Kearney (hamstring), Conor O’Brien (hamstring) and Adam Byrne (hamstring). All remain unavailable for selection.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:15 pm Leo Cullen has issued an update on the squad as attention now turns towards the Champions Cup quarter-final against Saracens.

Winger Fergus McFadden has resumed full training this week after recovering from a calf injury while James Ryan came through the game against Ulster Rugby with no issues following his return from a shoulder injury

Loan signing Ciaran Parker has completed his COVID-19 protocols having arrived in from the UK over two weeks ago and has started training with the team.

Both Tadhg Furlong (back) and Dan Leavy (knee) will be further reviewed this week regarding involvement against Saracens

Hooker Dan Sheehan has had a procedure on a cheekbone injury and will be out of action for between four to six weeks.

There is no new updates on Vakh Abdaladze (back), Dave Kearney (hamstring), Conor O’Brien (hamstring) and Adam Byrne (hamstring). All remain unavailable for selection.
great to hear no injuries from sat. better to not risk furlong and leavy next weekend, me thinks. if we squeeze through against salarycens...they will be needed.
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:53 pm
blockhead wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:15 pm Leo Cullen has issued an update on the squad as attention now turns towards the Champions Cup quarter-final against Saracens.

great to hear no injuries from sat. better to not risk furlong and leavy next weekend, me thinks. if we squeeze through against salarycens...they will be needed.
I'm not so sure. I think each game must be treated like a final from here on in, Sarries then either Racing or Clermont, and then likely Toulouse is as tough a run to a trophy as we would have had in any of our campaigns. No gimmes, nothing guaranteed, so therefore no scope to hold back.

Leavy IMO won't play, what with the form of Doris, Connors, VDF, Conan, Ruddock, and not to mention Fardy if we go with Dev, Ryan and Baird in 2R. But if Furlong is fit and ready then I can see him being on the bench.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Blue not red blood wrote: September 14th, 2020, 12:38 pm What was that gobshite Jones on about yesterday in the ST, when he said Salarysins were battling on 3 fronts ?
I wondered about that as well. Best rationale I could come up with was HC, Div 2 (or whatever they call it) and Brexit.
A proud Winsome Fluter
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dan Leavy and TF were running around the paddock at training today, so perhaps bench options.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Much as I considered Dan our best back-row when he got injured, I also considered Tadgh as our best tight-head. But a lot of water has flowed since both those thoughts crossed my mind.

Anybody with an unbiased eye would have to concede that the level of performance of Porter at this precise moment in time makes him eligible to hold onto the No 3 jersey. Tadgh hasn't laced a boot in anger in 6 months and it would be an extraordinary call to even put him on the bench in a European Q/F.

Josh & Will Connors have claimed MOTM in successive games against Ulster and have each been major contributors in their games against Munster. Doris was also MOTM against Munster. To replace any of those three with a player returning to his first game since April 2018 would seem an extraordinary risk - not in physical terms, but in match sharpness.

Sarries don't have, to my mind, any back-row or half-back threat other than Billy V. I would rank Connors first, closely followed by Josh as the two players most capable of handling Billy V as a ball-carrier.

Sarries will probably have Wray & Rhodes on the flanks and I would rate Doris ahead of both as a ball-winning flanker at the breakdown and way ahead of both as a carrier in broken play.

The balance of our back-row with Will / JvDF, Doris & Conan is gaining in experience and teamwork by the minute. They've dealt with Stander & Coetzee (both twice) over the past four weeks and that's as good a set of rehearsals as you can get in Pro14 for the job of containing Billy V. However, I'd dearly love to see Conan take the ball from his feet at No 8 in a scrum in mid-field and head wide & fast at the Sarries 10/12 axis. I say 'wide' first, as I believe he has the acceleration to go around the Sarries left-flanker and / or scrum-half and cause mayhem with the sorts of runs we haven't seen since the days of Rocky, back in '09.

I consider that our tactics for each game thus far have been improving game by game. Even those employed against Munster (v. 2) were spot on in the circumstances. Last Saturday, despite the loss of attacking momentum due to our faulty line-out, I believe that our attacking discipline in the Green Zone was excellent and created irrestistable pressure on the Ulster defence.

I believe that Leo & Stuart will look to play with real tempo against Sarries and we could see ball in hand for long periods of the game. Do this and we can win game.