Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by outcast eddie »

BBC RU Weekly podcast is worth a listen for unbiased views on this weekend's game... and they favour Leinster.

Also some interesting viewpoints on the need for fans to begin attending matches again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08rlpk2
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

outcast eddie wrote: September 16th, 2020, 9:47 am BBC RU Weekly podcast is worth a listen for unbiased views on this weekend's game... and they favour Leinster.

Also some interesting viewpoints on the need for fans to begin attending matches again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08rlpk2
unbiased? :lol:
CrookedIn
Beginner

Post by CrookedIn »

Jonny tight lips wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm
Dexter wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:02 pm
riocard911 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 4:09 pm I'm strongly in favour of public health restrictions in order to fight covid-19. 200 fans max in the Aviva - capacity 50,000 - is absolute nonsense however, IMO.
Completely agree. I think they are worried about people congregating before and after... but at some stage we have to start getting people back watching sport, to a greater extent. Surely there are better solutions!

People can watch it on the box for a few months, there are things more important than watching a game at a stadium as opposed to on the tele. The solution of watching it televised and being glad you have the opportunity to do so
What about people who don't have BT Sport? It makes far more sense to have small numbers of people watching the game outdoors in the aviva rather than indoors in a pub
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

CrookedIn wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:10 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm
Dexter wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Completely agree. I think they are worried about people congregating before and after... but at some stage we have to start getting people back watching sport, to a greater extent. Surely there are better solutions!

People can watch it on the box for a few months, there are things more important than watching a game at a stadium as opposed to on the tele. The solution of watching it televised and being glad you have the opportunity to do so
What about people who don't have BT Sport? It makes far more sense to have small numbers of people watching the game outdoors in the aviva rather than indoors in a pub
The now TV day passes are cheaper than a match ticket. No need to leave the house. Dublin isint doing well at the moment and easing restrictions isint gonna help. Just stay at home and watch the game safely.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

is this saturdays game a era-defining one for this current leinster side and coaching setup?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:24 pm is this saturdays game a era-defining one for this current leinster side and coaching setup?
To my mind it’s the biggest Leinster game since Munster 09. Losing means that not only do we not have a chance to win Europe but it also gives those cheats a chance to get to 4 stars and on equal pedigree with us and Toulouse.

If we don’t beat Saracens everything we have done this season is for nothing. Who knows when we’ll get a chance to win it again given the IRFUs habit of stripping our best assets plus and aging J10
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2020, 9:37 am sounds like Goode at 10.
can you hear him from there? :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 16th, 2020, 2:20 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2020, 9:37 am sounds like Goode at 10.
can you hear him from there? :lol:
:lol: just going by this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... gglesworth
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I can see Sarries going with something like...

15. Elliot Daly
14. Sean Maitland
13. Dom Morris
12. Brad Barritt
11. Alex Lewington
10. Alex Goode
9. Richard Wigglesworth
1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Vincent Koch
4. Maro Itoje
5. Tim Swinson
6. Mike Rhodes
7. Jackson Wray
8. Billy Vunipola

Their subs will be harder to predict, because apart from Callum Clark, Richard Barrington and Rotimi Segun I don't really know very much about the rest of their squad.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Duncan Taylor at 13 no?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He has been injured and has only played once, against Sale, in a game where Saracens rested their big names. Morris played in that game too, on the wing, it must be said, but he's had a number of starts and appearances from the bench since the return to play. Could go either way. Taylor is an internationl, but Morris is a young guy thats really highly rated. So... your guess is as good as mine!
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 16th, 2020, 2:55 pm I can see Sarries going with something like...

15. Elliot Daly
14. Sean Maitland
13. Dom Morris
12. Brad Barritt
11. Alex Lewington
10. Alex Goode
9. Richard Wigglesworth
1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Vincent Koch
4. Maro Itoje
5. Tim Swinson
6. Mike Rhodes
7. Jackson Wray
8. Billy Vunipola

I was looking at that team and thinking on paper that looks beatable, an ageing backline with a fullback out of position at 10. Full of positivity.

Then I was looking at the pack and thinking we played two decent packs recently in Ulster and Munster and got parity in the scrum and had success around the field but we did not really dominate either one. Literally man for man I would take every member of the Saracens pack over the Munster or Ulster pack at the minute, Henderson would get in if fit but he was not last weekend and POM doing his thing would get a look in but he is sort of a bit invisible at the minute (doing the unseen work no doubt :lol: ).

Mako/Loughman/EOS
George/Scannell/Herring
Koch/Archer/TOT
Itoje/Beirne/AOC
Swinson/Holland/Henderson
Rhodes/POM/Rea
Wray/JOD/Reidy
Vunipola/Stander/Coetzee

Even allowing for the forwards they have lost that is an excellent pack, it is going to be a big step up for us this weekend from what we have faced. I am feeling very nervous for this game, I cannot believe it is only Wednesday awww
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:24 pm is this saturdays game a era-defining one for this current leinster side and coaching setup?
Not really, it will be if we win the tournament. In many ways, if we win, what comes next is a tougher challenge. ASM or Racing on paper is probably a tougher game.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Flash Gordon wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm
Not really, it will be if we win the tournament. In many ways, if we win, what comes next is a tougher challenge. ASM or Racing on paper is probably a tougher game.
I think if we lose this season will be looked as a big disappointment overall. And this current side will always be looked at as 2nd best to the sarries side it competed against.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

dublin might go into lockdown again....according to the indo.https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 37969.html the article mentions it could happen this weekend. I know the safety of people is more important...but it would be an utter shame if the game and/or the potential SF didn't go ahead.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

pro sport is exempt from that afaik.

would affect club rugby massively though.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 16th, 2020, 9:52 pm pro sport is exempt from that afaik.

would affect club rugby massively though.
Pro sport is exempt from restrictions at level 3 and even level 4 of the new plan. It's only banned at level 5.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

bluemagic wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:53 pm
To my mind it’s the biggest Leinster game since Munster 09. Losing means that not only do we not have a chance to win Europe but it also gives those cheats a chance to get to 4 stars and on equal pedigree with us and Toulouse.

If we don’t beat Saracens everything we have done this season is for nothing. Who knows when we’ll get a chance to win it again given the IRFUs habit of stripping our best assets plus and aging J10
I dunno, we had 6 European finals since that game. We’re not at last chance saloon for a generation of players. We’re looking to build a dynasty. 2 Heineken Cups in 3 years with a lost final would go a long way to setting that narrative, but we’re straight into next year anyway. Covid disruption would give anyone a pass.

This is a match that defines Saracens legacy. They’re out of the Heineken Cup for minimum 2 seasons, 3 if PRL record them as in breach of the salary cap this season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ROC saying Cronin may return for sarries... you'd assume he'd be on the bench at least but starting him ahead of Kelleher is a big shout.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:00 am
bluemagic wrote: September 16th, 2020, 1:53 pm

I dunno, we had 6 European finals since that game. We’re not at last chance saloon for a generation of players. We’re looking to build a dynasty. 2 Heineken Cups in 3 years with a lost final would go a long way to setting that narrative, but we’re straight into next year anyway. Covid disruption would give anyone a pass.

This is a match that defines Saracens legacy. They’re out of the Heineken Cup for minimum 2 seasons, 3 if PRL record them as in breach of the salary cap this season.
God knows what will happen next year with Covid. If Leinster lose to this weakened Saracens side at home then there is no argument which was the better side.