Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:58 am ROC saying Cronin may return for sarries... you'd assume he'd be on the bench at least but starting him ahead of Kelleher is a big shout.
Under normal circumstances, you would want to give Kelleher the next opportunity to get back in the lineout saddle. A Heineken Cup effective final is not normal circumstances though. You don't want a young player like him to be under such serious mental pressure, as last week's malfunction might cause, ahead of such a big game.
Big problem that neither of his replacements is fully reassuring there either.
Last edited by curates_egg on September 17th, 2020, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:59 am If Leinster lose to this weakened Saracens side at home then there is no argument which was the better side.
Following the Fight of the Century in 71 and Super Fight II in 74, it came down to the Thrilla in Manila in 75 to determine who truly was "The Greatest". The fight in Manila was a true epic, even if it played out in front of an unfamiliar crowd.

I'll send my fight tapes over to UCD so the lads can see what they might be up against when an opponent has one match to live for.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Cronin and Connors to start is the rumour - but just random texts from lads, nothing concrete. If Cronin starts, its a huge call but im genuinely delighted for him and it puts money where our mouth is in term of the "Next Man Up" mentality.

Lineouts have been poor under Kelleher, even though he's an amazing player. Cronin has been immense for us in Euro games (Ulster last year and Exeter in the group stages in the years before spring to mind) and has the same "flaws" in the line out - lets hope the group have really tried to drill down on this. It could be something as simple as an A++ jumper and talent like Doris getting used to the system in match conditions.

Ironically I see this as the culmination of the three years in finally driving a stake through the Saracens heart - after that the remaining games are a different and potentially more difficult challenge. If we do this it'll be up there with Bilbao in terms of beating all comers.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sean Cronin coming in for a HEC knockout game to fix our lineout woes.

Never thought I'd see those words written...

Byrne, Kelleher, Tadhg (fitness pending), Fardy, VDF would be a serious pack to bring off the bench!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:18 am Sean Cronin coming in for a HEC knockout game to fix our lineout woes.

None of our hookers will fix our lineout woes, but Cronin my be in a slightly better place psychologically for a final than a 22 year old who was just involved in a lineout meltdown.

Saw stats from this season suggesting that almost half of all points are coming from lineouts. If ours hadn't malfunctioned so badly, we could have blown Ulster away last weekend.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

He became unfashionable very quickly, partially because Holy Joe cast him aside and partially because of Kelleher's rise, but Cronin had an exceptional season last season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:41 am He became unfashionable very quickly, partially because Holy Joe cast him aside and partially because of Kelleher's rise, but Cronin had an exceptional season last season.
Yeah I don’t really see why he fell out of favour with Ireland. I said ages ago that his pace is so important to
his game that there might be a sudden drop off in performance and didn’t expect him to be the kind of hooker who’d play into his late 30’s but I haven’t noticed any real decline at all.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:33 am
wixfjord wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:18 am Sean Cronin coming in for a HEC knockout game to fix our lineout woes.

None of our hookers will fix our lineout woes, but Cronin my be in a slightly better place psychologically for a final than a 22 year old who was just involved in a lineout meltdown.

Saw stats from this season suggesting that almost half of all points are coming from lineouts. If ours hadn't malfunctioned so badly, we could have blown Ulster away last weekend.
this isn't a final FYI

This selection for me indicates that they are looking to ensure this isn't a close game with 10 to go.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Having a strong bench to come on for the last 30 minutes could be the winning of this game. Furlong (fingers crossed), kelleher, Fardy and VDF coming on is essentially a mirror of why Saracens beat us last year in newcastle
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

i'd have to problem with Baird over Fardy on the bench, whose more likely to give a pen away when he comes on?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:03 am Having a strong bench to come on for the last 30 minutes could be the winning of this game. Furlong (fingers crossed), kelleher, Fardy and VDF coming on is essentially a mirror of why Saracens beat us last year in newcastle
Same Indo article has Bent on the bench.
As someone pointed out earlier, would you really want Furlong in an emergency having to play 70 minutes against Sarries scrum, just after back problems?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:02 am
curates_egg wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:33 am

this isn't a final FYI
I actually keep forgetting.
It’s a bit like the Clermont semifinal in 2012 though: it feels like the final.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

No issue at all with Cronin starting if that is what happens.....always been a huge fan of his and the pressure on Kelleher would be insane. If the lineout malfunctions like v Ulster it will probably be 'survivable'.....
Wanderers FC
Beginner

Post by Wanderers FC »

Up Wexford wrote: September 17th, 2020, 9:51 am Cronin and Connors to start is the rumour - but just random texts from lads, nothing concrete. If Cronin starts, its a huge call but im genuinely delighted for him and it puts money where our mouth is in term of the "Next Man Up" mentality.

Lineouts have been poor under Kelleher, even though he's an amazing player. Cronin has been immense for us in Euro games (Ulster last year and Exeter in the group stages in the years before spring to mind) and has the same "flaws" in the line out - lets hope the group have really tried to drill down on this. It could be something as simple as an A++ jumper and talent like Doris getting used to the system in match conditions.

Ironically I see this as the culmination of the three years in finally driving a stake through the Saracens heart - after that the remaining games are a different and potentially more difficult challenge. If we do this it'll be up there with Bilbao in terms of beating all comers.
You’d have thought Cullen would have clamped down on squad members leaking the team to outsiders. It’s not coming to Mildly so now we know where the leaks are coming from.

As far as the selection is concerned Kelleher can have no complaints if he can’t handle the pressure of a big games and hit his men in them he doesn’t have much of a future as a first choice for big games. He seemed to do well all of last season but they weren’t all cauldron games where the opposition was fighting for every lineout. Lyon Is the exception and it springs to mind and he missed only one in that game.

Connors deserves it but has to live up to the hype on Saturday. He will have his hands full with their pack and slowness to the breakdown will be punished. I can see him stopping the big carriers early on and then Josh being unleashed for the last twenty where his speed will be needed badly. It’s great to have the players to plug holes and play like for like selections with our opponents.

I feel with Farrell missing and at home we will have their number but if we concede the gainline for prolonged periods we could break under the pressure. Everything will have to be put into stopping their carriers behind the gainline and I feel Connors linespeed is just behind Josh here. Leinster by 16.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Rory Best has a long career despite the yips being a feature. Keith Wood did alright too. How are Dan Sheehan’s darts?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:03 pm Rory Best has a long career despite the yips being a feature. Keith Wood did alright too. How are Dan Sheehan’s darts?
supposed to be a good thrower, he hasn't converted from another position so he has at least 5 years throwing into lineouts. I don't necessarily think Kelleher is a bad thrower just maybe a bit too inexperienced for this game, it's a skill that can be worked on, just ask Jerry Flannery.

excellent throwing hookers aren't exactly something leinster rugby are expert at producing.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 17th, 2020, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Backrower8 turns up again just after a post from Wanderers FC...colour me shocked!

Just a reminder to everyone that both posters are pilotman and various others, not even subtle about it :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Selection of Cronin would enhance ball carrying and threat of our attacking maul. It would deminish our defensive line and our scrum. There's not a large body of evidence that our line-out would be enhanced but Cronin has learned about the importance of throwing in a hard school.

The grwatest support that fans can give the Coaching staff at this point is their trust. Certainly, Leo & Stuart have my absolute trust
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Selection of Cronin would enhance ball carrying and threat of our attacking maul. It would deminish our defensive line and our scrum. There's not a large body of evidence that our line-out would be enhanced but Cronin has learned about the importance of throwing in a hard school.

The greatest support that fans can give the Coaching staff at this point is their trust. Certainly, Leo & Stuart have my absolute trust
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:14 pm excellent throwing hookers aren't exactly something leinster rugby are expert at producing.
Or the IRFU.
Shane Byrne about as good as anyone in Ireland at that facet of the game.