Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by fourthirtythree »

Wixfjord is obsessed with a semantic point based on a personal definition of a word which he idiosyncratically conflates entirely with betting odds.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:01 pm Wixfjord is obsessed with a semantic point based on a personal definition of a word which he idiosyncratically conflates entirely with betting odds.
Jaysus, it's pretty ridiculous that we're getting this far down this hole.

So you define 'underdog' to me and let me know in what way Sarries weren't for this game please?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Trying to distill this...

Negatives:

- Front-row obliterated.
- Toner anonymous.
- Luke McGrath terrible.
- Some frailty under the high ball from back three again.
- Let them build a lead from a simple pressure game, they didn't have to do anything special.

Positives:

- Never gave up, almost pulled off a comeback.
- Refereeing decisions went against us at times (not the reason we lost); especially Barrington boring into the scrum at a 45 degree angle and getting a penalty, and a number a rucks.
- Baird very good other than getting held up due to naivety.
- Connors, VDF good; back row in general stood up reasonably well while tight five were largely blown away (James Ryan excepted).
- JGP made impressive impact off the bench.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:02 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:01 pm Wixfjord is obsessed with a semantic point based on a personal definition of a word which he idiosyncratically conflates entirely with betting odds.

So you define 'underdog' to me and let me know in what way Sarries weren't for this game please?
Well, for one they didn't have Mickey Rooney in their side
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

neiliog93 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:03 pm Trying to distill this...

Negatives:

- Front-row obliterated.
- Toner anonymous.
- Luke McGrath terrible.
- Some frailty under the high ball from back three again.
- Let them build a lead from a simple pressure game, they didn't have to do anything special.

Positives:

- Never gave up, almost pulled off a comeback.
- Refereeing decisions went against us at times (not the reason we lost); especially Barrington boring into the scrum at a 45 degree angle and getting a penalty, and a number a rucks.
- Baird very good other than getting held up due to naivety.
- Connors, VDF good; back row in general stood up reasonably well while tight five were largely blown away (James Ryan excepted).
- JGP made impressive impact off the bench.
Nicely summed up.

I was just thinking the same about Josh, carried a lot of ball.

Maybe it was better to have the half time chat first but I really would have made a sub or two after about half an hour.

Maybe we could have switched Keenan and Larmour too? Larmour got much better but we desperately needed a change or two early on.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Before the game, four of their right five are quite obviously well ahead of ours. World cup finalists and winners. As Steve Hansen said, the team who have the strongest tight five tend to win.

f%~k the bookies, they laid their spread anyway.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Every time Leinster and Ireland have met Saracens and England respectively since the 2019 Six Nations our lads end up getting bossed up front. Faz mór, Leo, Fogs and Robin McBryde have to get this problem sorted out. p.s. Better luck to Ulster tomorrow.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I can always rely on you to make my point for me in a more eloquent fashion :D
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RoboProp wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:19 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:12 pm I don’t remember anyone saying we were brilliant against Munster and Ulster tbh.
Your memory is correct.
Squidge rugby did in his last YouTube post, after watching it, I thought to myself about today's game "I' have a bad feeling about this"
The last time he did one like this we lost the CC final.

The git.
Anyone But New Zealand
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

What was the point of replacing Cronin and Toner after two minutes of the second half - why not replace them at half-time?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Theleinsterlad wrote:Love our team, love our style, love supporting Leinster. Today was hard and have took advice from whoever posted to step back from posting until the utter hurt of this loss started to lessen a bit so I can see through less hated eyes.

We had a bad 1st half and had too much to do in 2nd. Better team won on the day but that doesn’t make us suddenly not good enough to eat at the top table. We start again next season (2 weeksImage) and boy there were some good parts mainly seeing Hugo Keenan and Ryan Baird really step up in their first champs game. We will survive and will improve
Fingers crossed we lose the first match. Can't be having with that unbeaten lark
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:14 pm What was the point of replacing Cronin and Toner after two minutes of the second half - why not replace them at half-time?
This isn't very helpful to you, but someone once told me the reason for doing this, and it made sense, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

riocard911 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:10 pm Every time Leinster and Ireland have met Saracens and England respectively since the 2019 Six Nations our lads end up getting bossed up front. Faz mór, Leo, Fogs and Robin McBryde have to get this problem sorted out. p.s. Better luck to Ulster tomorrow.
+1 England have always put a solid scrum as number one, the rest is a bonus and it can take you miles....work out the yardage and points Sarries got today from their scrum dominace and you don't really need to do much else.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

riocard911 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:10 pm Every time Leinster and Ireland have met Saracens and England respectively since the 2019 Six Nations our lads end up getting bossed up front. Faz mór, Leo, Fogs and Robin McBryde have to get this problem sorted out. p.s. Better luck to Ulster tomorrow.
I don't think there is a solution. There is no answer to a concentration of top level Polynesian power, assuming it's also applied skilfully (which it is for Saracens and England). Salanoa might have been part of Leinster's answer in the long-term but he's gone now.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:18 pm
nc6000 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:14 pm What was the point of replacing Cronin and Toner after two minutes of the second half - why not replace them at half-time?
This isn't very helpful to you, but someone once told me the reason for doing this, and it made sense, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was :lol:
When I read the original post I thought DC will know the answer to this, way to prove my inner monologue wrong!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Granted Sarries didn't have Lamositele today
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

How many points did they get from scrum penalties. For me that and the aerial battles is where we lost it. Played well almost everywhere else.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:51 pm Interesting stats from ESPN (which may change, they usually do). But we were ahead on most of the attacking stats (63% position, 66% Territory; 245 metres vs 102). Yet crucially we had no players with tackles in double figures (3 players with eight) while they had 10 (half of that 10 had 15+).

Are we headed towards a game where the best teams let the opposition have the ball and just feed off their mistakes?
Yeah was thinking this before the game. The way the game is being reffed seems to encourage it. Leinster kinda did it in the final last week.
Dont Panic!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Thanks. I've seen it speculated before than being taken off at half-time is seen as a bit humiliating. Not sure two minutes after that is much better. :D
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Fireworks wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:23 pm How many points did they get from scrum penalties. For me that and the aerial battles is where we lost it. Played well almost everywhere else.
Our maul too. We had no change from kicks to the corner. Their tight five dominated.

Hats off to Itoje at about 73 minutes, tackles, up, tackles again, up and counter rucks. Astonishing hunger, power, and resilience.