Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 21st, 2020, 10:43 am
riocard911 wrote: September 21st, 2020, 12:57 am I've just rewatched it for my sins. We didn't start with intensity. They did. How does that work? The match is in Dublin. Everyone knows what's at stake and the visitors are the one's playing for their lives? I don't care for Saracens. I hate the gloating and mocking of the opposition they indulge in. That said, they went out to do a job on us - and they relished doing it. In his autobiography BO'D writes how to be a successful rugby player, one has to enjoy inflicting pain. I agree with him 100%. Only two players on our team looked like they wanted to hurt and seriously impose themselves on Saracens - James Ryan and Ryan Baird. Michael Rhodes, the guy who took out Johnny? He got MOTM. That's what it takes and we didn't have it.

I’ve heard that we were nervous before the game, and it was immediately obvious when Conan dropped the kick off.

Same thing happened against the Scarlets in 2017 after we’d lost to Clermont.
when I saw the camera pan down the line of leinster players before kick-off, for the minutes silence for covid victims, and then saw conan fluff the restart..I had the same sinking feeling I had when we took on England in the Aviva for the opening game in the 6Nations in 2019.

in newcastle last year, we didn't seem to have any temperament/nerves issues...we started really well and just fluffed a few great chances to push clear.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 10:54 am So, the win on Saturday was driven by "the determination to show that their recent success was not down to salary cap breaches" according to wigglesworth

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... mpions-cup

They planned for this one-off game for weeks, if not months. Fair play, they got the selection and tactics right, including how to play the refs interpretations of the laws better than us but am I alone in thinking this is taking it a bit too far?
True, there is no salary cap in europe, but, I think they are stretching it a bit here.
McCall has played a master class in organisational development since the salary sh!t show began. He has been a humble leader, but has given the team this solitary purpose to inspire performances like this (Borg like- TM JG). At the time I guessed that the entire team would fall asunder due to infighting etc. but he has done a superb job in motivating the players and keeping the squad together to the extent that he has. I am sure it helps that there is an old guard of retirees like Barrit, Wigglesworth & Rhodes to spearhead the campaign, but again I am astonished at McCall's leadership. I will read his book if he ever writes one.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Could someone please briefly explain the change in the laws or change in its interpretation re the breakdown?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Leinster Lout wrote: September 21st, 2020, 11:27 am Could someone please briefly explain the change in the laws or change in its interpretation re the breakdown?
https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines/15/detail

"Jackler
First arriving player must enter legally, be on their feet and on the ball, with an attempt to lift it. Likely to be rewarded more quickly and there is no longer the expectation to “survive the clear out”."
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster Lout wrote: September 21st, 2020, 11:27 am Could someone please briefly explain the change in the laws or change in its interpretation re the breakdown?
I don't think it is a law change, rather stricter implementation of what happens around the jackal...e.g. tackler not rolling away quick enough, is more strictly refereed now and the player coming into make a jackal having their hands on the ground before or when picking out the ball. ditto for players coming in from the side.

Some refs apply those interpretations differently...Itoje, on saturday, had a penalty awarded in his favour when I thought he was coming in from the side (not behind the rear-most player).....when he picked off healy, in the second half. not long after larmour scored.

In the same breath, on saturday, for me, it was the scrum that killed us. Doris and conners kept popping up looking for the trademark Billy V break from the back of the scrum, which didn't happen, resulting in, essentially 6 leinster forwards V 8 powerful saracens forwards...and an inevitable penalty.

re: the jackal...I think someone else mentioned on here that it might be better if it was a free kick, rather than a penalty, that was awarded if the tackled player holds on. the new rules favour the box-kick-and-chase approach and while it is effective, it is tedious. iow..the jackal rule doesn't encourage attacking teams to run the ball....player gets isolated...and a penalty is given away. far better to kick and chase rather than pass.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It’s up to the player on the ground to release the ball.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

hugonaut wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:23 am
dropkick wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:05 pm I thought leinster played well for the most part. Lots of good performances but it was just the few keys areas that were very costly.

I thought Keenan was very good and maybe should be given the chance at fullback. Hes calm and composed which is important for a fullback while Larmour is more instinctive and might be better off as a winger where he might get more one on one opportunities to use his great footwork.

Baird was super impressive when he came on. You want your subs making an impact and he really put it up to Saracens.
Leinster were pretty dreadful in the first half. They played indecisive, error-strewn rugby for about 37 of 40 minutes. I have no idea how you can think they 'played well for the most part.'

The scrum got decimated yet they were only 5 points behind with a few min to go. Most players had decent games I thought, it was one or two areas letting the side down.

A bit more creativity is needed imo especially with these breakdown laws which don't suit leinsters possession based game.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm
I don't think it is a law change, rather stricter implementation of what happens around the jackal...e.g. tackler not rolling away quick enough, is more strictly refereed now and the player coming into make a jackal having their hands on the ground before or when picking out the ball. ditto for players coming in from the side.

Some refs apply those interpretations differently...Itoje, on saturday, had a penalty awarded in his favour when I thought he was coming in from the side (not behind the rear-most player).....when he picked off healy, in the second half. not long after larmour scored.

I didn't think he came in from the side but that was a really crucial moment. I had one or two thoughts about it.

(1) Itoje was just smart. He saw the way Healy was falling - away from the ruck/tackle area and just waited for him to hit the ground - hands on the ball - and there was no Leinster player immediately there. The penalty was whistled extremely quickly but that is the new rule. Credit Itoje who is a smart player.
(2) Sarries were trying to rip the ball from Healy, they were told by the ref to release and did so. Healy fell to one side and Itoje was there and the rest as above. It struck me as unfair though that the defending side was told to release and were allowed to do so. Healy was given no such instruction with the ball on the ground. Straight away a penalty and Sarries kick under no pressure and have the line-out. Give Healy the instruction - ok Sarries may turn it over but if Itoje re-cycles they are likely to kick for touch and we have a line-out in their half. I accept also they could have recycled for a phase or two and box kicked. Now we are in the realms of speculation but at least they were kicking it to us.
Four Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Michael Rhodes cited for striking Henshaw in the head in the 2nd minute.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 11364?s=20
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote: September 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm Michael Rhodes cited for striking Henshaw in the head in the 2nd minute.

Two cards avoided by him on Saturday then.
Anyone But New Zealand
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

More grist to the 'cheating Saracens' mill....
Four Stars
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/09/21/cit ... -saracens/

didn't he get motm?

I hear he has done lots of charity work with farrell.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lar wrote: September 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm

I didn't think he came in from the side but that was a really crucial moment. I had one or two thoughts about it.

(1) Itoje was just smart. He saw the way Healy was falling - away from the ruck/tackle area and just waited for him to hit the ground - hands on the ball - and there was no Leinster player immediately there. The penalty was whistled extremely quickly but that is the new rule. Credit Itoje who is a smart player.
(2) Sarries were trying to rip the ball from Healy, they were told by the ref to release and did so. Healy fell to one side and Itoje was there and the rest as above. It struck me as unfair though that the defending side was told to release and were allowed to do so. Healy was given no such instruction with the ball on the ground. Straight away a penalty and Sarries kick under no pressure and have the line-out. Give Healy the instruction - ok Sarries may turn it over but if Itoje re-cycles they are likely to kick for touch and we have a line-out in their half. I accept also they could have recycled for a phase or two and box kicked. Now we are in the realms of speculation but at least they were kicking it to us.
IMO, the infringement here was against Maku Vunipola. In precisely the same circumstances, the referee had penalised Sexton in the opening minutes, WITHOUT ANY WARNING, and given Saracens a penalty in front of the posts.

Healy was tackled, i.e. knee on the grounds and Vunipola on his feet continued for 5 secs to wrestle the ball from Healy before the ref says "release" Healy then drags the ball back and places in within the ruck, whence Itoje arriving from the 'side / hindmost foot' put one hand on the ground before getting two hands on top of the ball whilst resisting the Leinster clear-out.

If Gauzere was applying the Law interpretation consistently, that was penalty Leinster in front of Sarries posts. That wasn't his only bad, and wrong decision in the second half, but the timing was crucial to the outcome.

Few in Clonskeagh will have enjoyed the review of Saturday's game. But there were some good performances. Keenan did many good things and should be our designated full-back for the foreseeable future. Kelleher was a warrior in tackling and carrying and his throwing must remain a work in progress. Conan and Doris tackled, cleared out and carried as well as any forward on the field. JVdF gave an excellent cameo which showed he is an international No 7. JGP showed why he should have started and the importance of the quality of his distribution should never be underestimated.

Some of the coaching staff will also have had cringe moments. Yes, there were moments when our scrum appeared to disintegrate. Flankers heads came up, their weight came off their props' arse and Sarries front-row were totally in charge. It didn't happen every scrum but it did happen more than enough to cause us serious grief.

However, if we got a lesson in the scrum, it was in the maul that we were totally schooled. Sarries own maul walked us backwards beyond 10 metres at least three times in the second half. On our maul, within Sarries 22m area, they dismantled our forward pack clincally on at least 7 occasions so that despite positional opportunity, only once could we engineer a score. Ironically, Larmour's superbly conceived try was scored from what was effectively a dummy maul where we brought the ball down and set up the maul structure to commit the Sarries back-row to their defensive duties, but then moved it rapidly wide to enable Larmour have a clear passage to the line.

The maul, the maul, the maul. An assumed strength which was targeted, with huge efficency, as a weakness. McCall and his Coaches did not target our line-out. They did target our scrum, mostly our front-five and our maul, involving everyone of our forwards. In this phase of the game, Saracens snuffed out Leinster's chances to beat them.

They ambushed our maul and an inconsistent referee squashed any chance we might have stolen the game in the final 15 minutes.

Well done Sarries on your win. It will be a good contest in Paris, but Racing 92 will probably have learned enough to make it a harder game than we were able to give you. I expect to see a different name on the European Cup for 2020
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/09/21/cit ... -saracens/

didn't he get motm?

I hear he has done lots of charity work with farrell.
Filthy cheap shot. What I don't understand is why henshaw never told the ref or Sexton to get the match officials to have a look at it. Why are we so nice all the time? That would have completely changed the course of the match. He should have been carded for the hit on Sexton.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote: September 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm Michael Rhodes cited for striking Henshaw in the head in the 2nd minute.

Ah Jaysus, just when I was getting over the disappointment...
Definite red. I wonder would the hypothetical crowd have spotted it and caused a ruckus?
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dexter wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:55 pm

Definite red. I wonder would the hypothetical crowd have spotted it and caused a ruckus?
What do the assistant referees and TV match officials actually do?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:01 pm
Dexter wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:55 pm

What do the assistant referees and TV match officials actually do?
I asked that exact question right after the game.
The assistants were actually eerily and incompetently silent for the whole game. The ref had a poor game for sure, but he got absolutely no assistance from the other officials. He had very little chance of having a good game.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

suisse wrote: September 21st, 2020, 4:44 am About Jordan Larmour, he did 2 ridiculous things in the first half that led to 10 points. Luke McGrath's pass was shocking to him but I can't understand why he crabbed 5 steps left and then passed to Henshaw. No awareness of where the defenders were, no awereness of what his best options are. There was space to his left, did he really not see the Saracens midfield charging up? McGrath's horrible loopy pass allowed Saracens to rush up, and Larmour taking more time allowed then to advance further. By the time Henshaw had received the ball Leinster had gone back 20 yards from the ruck. Just inviting trouble and Larmour allowed it.

Then for the try. It was a really, really good try but why was Larmour beaten by a dummy thrown in his direction? He wasn't facing straight on to Goode. He was arriving from his right shoulder to make an expected tackle. Goode dummied to Larmour, he bought it, and he stopped running. Saracens were in firmly in attack and may have scored anyway, but buying that dummy was terrible work.

Luke McGrath. 27 years old and Leinster's first choice 9 and often stand in captain for quite a while. But his performance was expected. Indecisive, error ridden, lacking control and leadership. Completely outplayed by a retiring 37 year old. The pass to Larmour was utterly braindead. Looping a ball 15 meters backwards. Did he expect Larmour to kick? Into a strong wind? McGrath has far, far too many games like this. Always a decent 9 in the RDS against weak Pro14 opposition. Scores a try. The problem is the 3 younger guys. For me, McGrath and Park are not good enough to block the development of an outstanding young 9. But if he's still undisputed 9 at this point, I think the management are unconvinced about those coming next.
+1, +1.
Very accurate analysis of both players and their performances.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Very little excuse for neither George Clancy nor Joy Neville not spotting the high hit on Henshaw.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Angelsea Angst wrote:Very little excuse for neither George Clancy nor Joy Neville not spotting the high hit on Henshaw.
I wonder was it that phenomenon whereby officials from one country are unusually harsh on their compatriots/lenient on the opposition in their desire not to be biased