Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Twist wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:32 pm
Angelsea Angst wrote:Very little excuse for neither George Clancy nor Joy Neville not spotting the high hit on Henshaw.
I wonder was it that phenomenon whereby officials from one country are unusually harsh on their compatriots/lenient on the opposition in their desire not to be biased
That is true but surely they could have a quick word with the TMO to check the incident while letting the play proceed.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Twist wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:32 pm
Angelsea Angst wrote:Very little excuse for neither George Clancy nor Joy Neville not spotting the high hit on Henshaw.
I wonder was it that phenomenon whereby officials from one country are unusually harsh on their compatriots/lenient on the opposition in their desire not to be biased
I think most people from Munster still can’t spot it after seeing it on Twitter
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

carlow man wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:52 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/09/21/cit ... -saracens/

didn't he get motm?

I hear he has done lots of charity work with farrell.
Filthy cheap shot. What I don't understand is why henshaw never told the ref or Sexton to get the match officials to have a look at it. Why are we so nice all the time? That would have completely changed the course of the match. He should have been carded for the hit on Sexton.
It's a common failing in Irish rugby in recent years, from the players through the coaches to the supporters. NZ, England or South Africa wouldn't hesitate to raise their voices in cases like this. But we just won't.

In silence injustice rules. While the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I can't believe they didn't spot the thing that nobody else spotted until someone blew up a video clip for us. Its not like they have anything else to do, or there were any other players on the pitch.

Fierce bang of Jackie Lennox's off this thread
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm I can't believe they didn't spot the thing that nobody else spotted until someone blew up a video clip for us. Its not like they have anything else to do, or there were any other players on the pitch.

Yeah, I'm sure Henshaw didn't notice being headbutted at all.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm I can't believe they didn't spot the thing that nobody else spotted until someone blew up a video clip for us. Its not like they have anything else to do, or there were any other players on the pitch.

the question is did they notice anything at all ???
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 21st, 2020, 10:18 pm

the question is did they notice anything at all ???
If they'd seen anything there might have been a suggestion of HIAs. Ball had gone, eyes follow the play.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Looks bad and we can argue forever about whether Clancy or Neville should have seen it or the TMO but I would love to know did Henshaw or Sexton raise it with the ref and ask for a review. If they did and it was refused that is unacceptable in a head impact like this.

Otherwise just another bit of sloppy TMO performance (surely that is the point of a TMO) but hey ho nothing new there. Eating Wotsits in the TMO box and drinking fanta.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Lar wrote: September 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm
Leinster Lout wrote: September 21st, 2020, 11:27 am Could someone please briefly explain the change in the laws or change in its interpretation re the breakdown?
I don't think it is a law change, rather stricter implementation of what happens around the jackal...e.g. tackler not rolling away quick enough, is more strictly refereed now and the player coming into make a jackal having their hands on the ground before or when picking out the ball. ditto for players coming in from the side.

Some refs apply those interpretations differently...Itoje, on saturday, had a penalty awarded in his favour when I thought he was coming in from the side (not behind the rear-most player).....when he picked off healy, in the second half. not long after larmour scored.

I didn't think he came in from the side but that was a really crucial moment. I had one or two thoughts about it.

(1) Itoje was just smart. He saw the way Healy was falling - away from the ruck/tackle area and just waited for him to hit the ground - hands on the ball - and there was no Leinster player immediately there. The penalty was whistled extremely quickly but that is the new rule. Credit Itoje who is a smart player.
(2) Sarries were trying to rip the ball from Healy, they were told by the ref to release and did so. Healy fell to one side and Itoje was there and the rest as above. It struck me as unfair though that the defending side was told to release and were allowed to do so. Healy was given no such instruction with the ball on the ground. Straight away a penalty and Sarries kick under no pressure and have the line-out. Give Healy the instruction - ok Sarries may turn it over but if Itoje re-cycles they are likely to kick for touch and we have a line-out in their half. I accept also they could have recycled for a phase or two and box kicked. Now we are in the realms of speculation but at least they were kicking it to us.
On re-watching I think you are right and (1) is the probable outcome. Itoje was in the right place at the right time and snaffled it. crucial moment it was.
that said...that is just an one moment. We had quite a few of missed crucial moments and at this level, we didn't deserve to win that game.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

After a bit of time to digest the game....

Its always disappointing to lose any big knockout match, but especially when you feel that we did not perform to our full potential, and lost some tactical battles that we could have expected parity in.

But don't forget that (despite letting a lot of the squad go) Saracens are still a really, really good team with huge big game smarts. We got back to within 5 points in the second half, that in itself was some achievement. We had some good individual performances, Ryan having just one game back from injury, Baird's introduction for example. We have so many exciting players coming through and only one defeat this year against a great team. Things aren't that dark, no matter how Saturday afternoon hurt.

One thing, in the Covid era the lack of home fans really levels it. The 16th man does have a bearing on games, be it teams momentum or refs thinking. Probably makes for fairer contest - hope it doesn't last long ;).
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Case against Rhodes dismissed, free to play on Saturday

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Barry wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:32 pm Case against Rhodes dismissed, free to play on Saturday

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Not enough evidence to say that he made contact with Henshaws head. :|

They just didn't want the blowback of admitting he should have been off the whole game.
Anyone But New Zealand
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It said he committed an act of foul play but couldnt prove he had made contact with his head. Is that not a bit contradictory?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

FLIP wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:56 pm Not enough evidence to say that he made contact with Henshaws head. :|

They just didn't want the blowback of admitting he should have been off the whole game.
Absolutely. It is what it is at this stage.

He clearly did it. There's a recording of it.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

To be honest, I haven't seen it (been trying to avoid as much about the match as possible)

I'd be grateful if anyone has a link to a clip or Gif!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If you got lawyers and money enough, expect to get off. It's no different to the rest of the world. If you're mad about this, wait until you hear about tax!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am To be honest, I haven't seen it (been trying to avoid as much about the match as possible)

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 11364?s=21
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:29 am If you got lawyers and money enough, expect to get off. It's no different to the rest of the world. If you're mad about this, wait until you hear about tax!
The welsh and the kiwis don't have money and lawyers and get away with murder too. Their fans, media, and officials row in behind their players and make themselves heard instead of worrying about being liked. It's about time the Irish rugby community did the same.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

FLIP wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:49 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am To be honest, I haven't seen it (been trying to avoid as much about the match as possible)

Thanks FLIP

Didn't look like there was much doubt there. Reminded me a bit of the one Ferg got done for against Ulster in Ravenhill a while back were the camera angle wasn't great but you could see a head going into the face.

Actually, another sliding door moment there........... had the stadium been full with 50,000 blue supporters to draw the refs attention to review it?

We'll never know!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

FLIP wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:49 am

I dont know how he got away with that. The one on sexton too should have been a yellow. It was an intentional swinging arm to the head/neck area so yellow.