Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by OTT »

JB1973 wrote:Given no further injuries what are the starting line up's likely to be?
mako George kock skelton kruiss itoke wray (will billy v be fit) spencer Farrell taylor barrett and a back 3 of goode daly and maitland?

healy (if fit) Cronin furlong toner ryan fardy jdf doris jgp sexton lowe henshaw ringrose (if fit) larmour and r Kearney??
The 2 jersey was in Kelleher's possession before his injury and him being away with Ireland since returning might work in Cronin's favour but it is hard to call. Tough on Tracy if he does not make the 23 as he is having his best season for us ever.

I think Fardy starts at lock or he is sub, he has been used exclusively at lock this season unless moved late in a game to fill in. Looks like Ruddock/VDF/Doris back row.

Scrum half could go either way but I think they will go with Luke McGrath, his defence against Sarries will be needed.

Only change to the rest of back line would be Larmour at fullback and Dave Kearney on the wing. Rightly or wrongly we seem to have passed the batton on to Larmour at fullback. Rob has only started 3 games for us this season and he has actually been fit for a decent chunk which is not usually the case. I actually think he will finish up with us this season, I have watched him in interviews and he seems like the most content man in the world, he has done it all and he has nothing left to prove, maybe he will get one last pay day somewhere or maybe he will just retire as the most successful rugby player Ireland has ever had. Some accolade
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

As my old leinster mucker on here says you have to play them some time and better to do it Dublin in April rather than in Marseille in May..

The Winner will likely come from this game, I know it's not what you want (and I don't blame you for a second) but as neutral I would like to see someone else bar sarries/leinster win it. The duopoly of the cup in the last what 5 seasons? is starting to wear thin. I would like to see Exeter win it they are such a good role model for other clubs, like most people of my age I also have an affection for Toulouse and they still play the game with a real swagger.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JB1973 wrote:As my old leinster mucker on here says you have to play them some time and better to do it Dublin in April rather than in Marseille in May..

The Winner will likely come from this game, I know it's not what you want (and I don't blame you for a second) but as neutral I would like to see someone else bar sarries/leinster win it. The duopoly of the cup in the last what 5 seasons? is starting to wear thin. I would like to see Exeter win it they are such a good role model for other clubs, like most people of my age I also have an affection for Toulouse and they still play the game with a real swagger.
I'd agree with you (ignoring the "not Leinster" bit obviously :D ) - if it wasn't us I'd like to see Exeter. Toulouse is a bit more problematic - I agree on teh affection but from our point of view there is a trophy count issue :twisted:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

JB1973 wrote:As my old leinster mucker on here says you have to play them some time and better to do it Dublin in April rather than in Marseille in May..

True, but of that recent carve-up of titles between us and them we've only won one. Give us one more!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Also. Ed Byrne and Vakh Abdaladze are injured. So the LH bench spot for Sarries is Bent or the Academy.

7 senior props. 3 are injured
We've only six in the European squad, Abdaladze isn't included. Will probably need to add at least one if Byrne and Healy are unlikely to be fit for the QF.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would be happy with Furlong and Porter at TH and Dooley and Bent at LH as the 4 props for Sarries. If Healy doesn't make it.

If Abdaladze is back send him and Salanoa to South Africa with Aungier and Milne. If not we might have to look at pulling Clarkson from the u20s or sending him on after it for the Kings game.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:I would be happy with Furlong and Porter at TH and Dooley and Bent at LH as the 4 props for Sarries. If Healy doesn't make it.
If it comes down to these four then I'd swap Bent and Porter. Bent hasn't started at loose-head since the early stages of the 2015/16 season and I'm struggling to remember him even covering there since. On the other hand, Porter has filled in there a couple of times for Ireland this season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ireland seem to be looking at Porter to cover LH ok. I just don't think it's a great plan with a player so young who has only made the transfer to TH a few years ago.

However the Ireland and Leinster coaches and the player himself know an awful lot more about it than me
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:Fair enough. You've a valid argument, I just see it differently. If somebody is going to be so unhappy in his/her job that they want to leave it, they're not going to do a good job. That has been my experience and anecdotally what I have heard about players in different teams in different sports.
Agreed.

Think I'd take this season's Peter Dooley over last season's Jack McGrath anyway.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

johng wrote:Ireland seem to be looking at Porter to cover LH ok. I just don't think it's a great plan with a player so young who has only made the transfer to TH a few years ago.

However the Ireland and Leinster coaches and the player himself know an awful lot more about it than me
I haven't seen that much of Porter he clearly has the size and strength to play both sides of the scrum

But I agree with you I'm not a big fan of props playing both sides it's very elite group who do that well (leonard is one who springs to mind) and now squads have 23 players it's even rarer to see it at the highest level.

With guys like furlong and ryan in your front 5 your scrum will be solid enough, but clearly if another front line prop goes down your going to be in bother
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

JB1973 wrote:
johng wrote:Ireland seem to be looking at Porter to cover LH ok. I just don't think it's a great plan with a player so young who has only made the transfer to TH a few years ago.

I haven't seen that much of Porter he clearly has the size and strength to play both sides of the scrum

But I agree with you I'm not a big fan of props playing both sides it's very elite group who do that well (leonard is one who springs to mind) and now squads have 23 players it's even rarer to see it at the highest level.

With guys like furlong and ryan in your front 5 your scrum will be solid enough, but clearly if another front line prop goes down your going to be in bother
At under-age and for most of his first season with Leinster (2016-17), Porter was a loose-head. Played there in the U-20 World Cup Final in 2016.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

According to Healys Instagram he’s targeting a return in time for the 1/4 final. Big boost if it happens
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:
At under-age and for most of his first season with Leinster (2016-17), Porter was a loose-head. Played there in the U-20 World Cup Final in 2016.
Eggs act ly. I think he started to transition from about March 2017.

Bent has done all his development at this point. Swaping him back across is not such a big deal.

Hopefully Healy is fit and we don't have to worry about it.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Jonny tight lips wrote: It was a two year contract not chattel slavery. If he had said he would be off at the end of the contract fair enough and you notice nobody ever has a bad word to say about Nordie or Conway who did that.
I’ve heard plenty of bad words said about Conway, and I share some of them.
Left in a petulant huff, based on a premature decision, to Shelbyville, and then became a total pr!*k about it, presumably due to bitterness about wasting four or five years of his career.

I’ve nothing but respect for Jack, on the other hand, and think a move made sense for all parties, in spite of him being under contract.
The reality is, he was behind the three guys we have now, and couldn’t dig himself out of his rut. I can think of few ex-Leinster players I have wanted to succeed more.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Numero Uno:
“I’m absolutely gutted with the injury but one thing is for sure, I will come back stronger and better. I’m surrounded by incredible medical teams in both Leinster and Ireland and have every faith in the plan ahead. We’ve set a target to return for the Champions Cup quarter-final and I will do everything in my power to achieve this! Time to get to work."
Best of luck Cian.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:Numero Uno:
“I’m absolutely gutted with the injury but one thing is for sure, I will come back stronger and better. I’m surrounded by incredible medical teams in both Leinster and Ireland and have every faith in the plan ahead. We’ve set a target to return for the Champions Cup quarter-final and I will do everything in my power to achieve this! Time to get to work."
Best of luck Cian.
+1
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote:Fair enough. You've a valid argument, I just see it differently. If somebody is going to be so unhappy in his/her job that they want to leave it, they're not going to do a good job. That has been my experience and anecdotally what I have heard about players in different teams in different sports.
I dunno that a player being unhappy and wishing to move is such an issue rather than the perception of how keen Nucifora is to find Leinster players like this and expedite their moves.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I love the way people get all het up about situations they know fock all about
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:I love the way people get all het up about situations they know fock all about

You've seen an internet forum before right?!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I've seen a couple in my time.