Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Up Wexford
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by Up Wexford »

I presume there is a miniscule chance of there being any kind of a crowd at this? Such a shame, I am jonesing for live rugby.

There are no crowds in premier league soccer at the moment, correct? The only sport that has full stadiums are the super rugby competitions?

Presumably there would be a ban on travelling saracens fans (all five of them wha) too from the UK - non essential travel etc.

The Galway races are going ahead "behind closed doors" with the restaurants left to fend for themselves trying to accommodate the masses that will inevitably descend on the city. Between this and Cheltenham horse racing has gone from the sport of kings to the sport of covid. While I desperately want to be at the game Covid and its impact is the primary consideration for the medium term
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Maro staying, it seems.

Maro Itoje: England lock signs new 'long-term' deal at Saracens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53443359
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

outcast eddie wrote: July 17th, 2020, 11:00 am Maro staying, it seems.

All the Lions tour players will stay. Perfect opportunity to get a break from being overworked in the premiership.
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Itoje courtesy of Reuters with the September 19 showdown in Dublin undoubtedly in mind:

“I’m really looking forward to the future; the future is going to be brighter than our past. The future is in our hands and we have the power to shape our own destiny.”

Forewarned is forearmed!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

But I still have only 2 Fourarms.....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

"The quarter-final will be subject to Irish Government guidelines and/or restrictions around social distancing and crowds attending events and games with EPCR prioritising the health and welfare of players, club staff, match officials, media supporters and the wider rugby community."

I would be hopeful that some of us might get in to this. Not expectant but hopeful.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Am I missing something here? Sarries were demoted because they broke the financial rules. They are now playing in a division with a much lower income and they just seem to be carrying on as previously.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: July 20th, 2020, 10:50 am

Am I missing something here? Sarries were demoted because they broke the financial rules. They are now playing in a division with a much lower income and they just seem to be carrying on as previously.
They have lost players. They have world class players who came through their academy (or came young). The strategy is to hold these irreplaceable players so they can rebuild around them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... s#Saracens
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There is no salary cap in the Championship, but they need to follow the cap to be eligible for promotion.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:03 am
They have lost players. They have world class players who came through their academy (or came young). The strategy is to hold these irreplaceable players so they can rebuild around them.

I would not say Eddie Jones is best pleased with this.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

At least those guys will be fresh for him.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Peg Leg wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:50 am
ronk wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:03 am

I would not say Eddie Jones is best pleased with this.
In an odd way, Covid may have helped Saracens keep these players. The most profitable fixtures for all unions are internationals. There will be a shed load of them in the next 12 months. Even before a Lions (©) tour there could be as many as a dozen internationals in the coming season. Saracens will put out the under 12s against Ealing Trailblazers and Jersey Reds while Itoje and Farrell play for England and stay sharp.

It's risky for the players though. If they are injured or suffer a loss of form their rehab games are against Doncaster Knights and Hartbury University rather than Leicester and Bath (or even Toulouse and Leinster). If they find themselves outside Jones' squad they may find it hard to get back in.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Most of these guys aren’t sweating about getting picked. Between an early start to main action for the season and a Lions tour this is going to be a busy year. Jones will make the best of it but he’d probably be happy to lighten the load for the Vunipolas.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Assuming Britain isn't on our 'green list', how can this game go ahead in September?

The political class has yet to put in any groundwork on changing the public debate around travel. In fact, the new government seems to be going the opposite direction.

This game is the first test, but I can't see how the rugby season can go ahead if the Irish government maintains its current approach to travel. And, given the absolutely toxic debate around travel, I can't see the public accepting it.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

curates_egg wrote: July 21st, 2020, 9:33 am Assuming Britain isn't on our 'green list', how can this game go ahead in September?

The political class has yet to put in any groundwork on changing the public debate around travel. In fact, the new government seems to be going the opposite direction.

This game is the first test, but I can't see how the rugby season can go ahead if the Irish government maintains its current approach to travel. And, given the absolutely toxic debate around travel, I can't see the public accepting it.
Sarries squad comes over here, is tested for Covid and does 14 days in isolation before the game?

I'm interested to know how you define the 'political class'?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Technically based on the guidelines as they are today they shouldn't be travelling. But the game is still 2 months away.

Would imagine the whole Sarries squad will be heavily tested anyway with the return to play in the Premiership, and will likely be tested further before coming across, so don't see the need for isolation.

They'll probably fly straight in and out and stay in a bubble like in Prem football.

The 'toxic' debate at the moment with travel is generally about people flying in from around the world, particularly from hotspots, who haven't been tested and refuse to quarantine/isolate.

That doesn't really apply in this case.
Last edited by wixfjord on July 21st, 2020, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

How can you expect a team to come for two weeks before a game? That is pie in the sky stuff. Beyond the cost, there are pretty obvious practical reasons why that’s not possible. This isn’t a one-off game.

‘Political class’ was a clumsy term to use. I merely meant that, in both government and opposition, there appears to be nobody willing to stick their head above the parapet and question if stopping international travel really is the only or best way to deal with the more general crisis caused by the pandemic.

Certainly, I cannot see how the provinces or national side can expect to compete if there is no travel without a two-week movement restriction.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

curates_egg wrote: July 21st, 2020, 10:53 am Certainly, I cannot see how the provinces or national side can expect to compete if there is no travel without a two-week movement restriction.
There isn't a two week movement restriction. If you travel here from the UK, you have to segregate (not fully cocoon) for up 2 weeks. If you're here shorter than 2 weeks, you need to isolate for the length of time here.

So if they come over and have arrangements to remain in a bubble they'll be fine

Edit : assuming the actual playing of the game is signed off of course
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

It is my understanding that there is a percentage of false and positive readings from COVID testing. This is mitigated by the 14 day policy. I struggle to see how Sarries can play this game without some kind of segregation alongside testing.

BTW, 'segregate', 'cocoon' 'bubble' and 'isolate', what's the difference between these? Maybe they can segregate the bubble and cocoon while in isolation. That should do it. :wink:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The prem are playing 4 rounds of their comp in August then nothing til October. Sarries could get over here and stay for 2 weeks if they needed.