Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Up Wexford
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by Up Wexford »

Devils (RFU's :lol:) Advocate, but there might be another way the RFU could look as the Saracens debacle and their presence in Europe. The RFU and the clubs have rightly punished Saracens for cheating wholesale in their league and have sent the message clearly to all club chairmen that this will not be tolerated. If we can do this to the our most successful club, imagine what we can do to you.

However, why not have Saracens in the Heineken Cup, sapping the legitimacy of the competition? "We were able to identify and punish Saracens as cheats, but EPRC clearly dont, is the H Cup really that big of a deal? Come join our Anglo/France Cup with one token Celtic team instead"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Up Wexford wrote:Devils (RFU's Image) Advocate, but there might be another way the RFU could look as the Saracens debacle and their presence in Europe. The RFU and the clubs have rightly punished Saracens for cheating wholesale in their league and have sent the message clearly to all club chairmen that this will not be tolerated. If we can do this to the our most successful club, imagine what we can do to you.

However, why not have Saracens in the Heineken Cup, sapping the legitimacy of the competition? "We were able to identify and punish Saracens as cheats, but EPRC clearly dont, is the H Cup really that big of a deal? Come join our Anglo/France Cup with one token Celtic team instead"
Why would they want to do that to a competition they, in part, own? That they derive considerable revenue from? Where a large part of that revenue comes from the Celitc teams - considerably more than comes from France?
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Exeter are still in the HC and fancy their chances. They are going to be the standard bearer for the next while for English clubs in Europe.

Either way there will be an English club in the semis. They’d be happy not to face the current champions (won’t like us either but at least it wouldn’t annoy them to lose to us).
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Up Wexford wrote:Devils (RFU's Image) Advocate, but there might be another way the RFU could look as the Saracens debacle and their presence in Europe. The RFU and the clubs have rightly punished Saracens for cheating wholesale in their league and have sent the message clearly to all club chairmen that this will not be tolerated. If we can do this to the our most successful club, imagine what we can do to you.

Why would they want to do that to a competition they, in part, own? That they derive considerable revenue from? Where a large part of that revenue comes from the Celitc teams - considerably more than comes from France?
Ah, okay I'm not fully up on the ECPR/Heineken Cup/Champions Cup/whatever your're having today but essentially is it now resolved to the satisfaction of the English and French Club owners?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 10:42 am
riocard911 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 10:28 pm Surprise, surprise!!! In yesterday's match Saracens also had a penalty overturned for sledging after a ruck:

"Fans in uproar as ref mic picks up Jamie George’s foul mouthed verbal tirade on Wasps player"

https://rugbyonslaught.com/fans-in-upro ... ps-player/

I can't hear any tirade, foul mouthed or otherwise! Some very mild sledging, at worst. "what are you, a pussycat"? Oh won't somebody think of the children

I ran the clip a couple of times - before posting it - and for the life of me, I also could neither make out, who was speaking nor what Jamie George did or didn't say. Personally I couldn't give a monkey's about bad language on the pitch. I find it cringe-worthy and pathetic, when TV commentators apologise for the odd "f%~k? coming in over the ref mic, as the word is part and parcel of everyday speech - certainly in my circles it is. So, no I'm not a pussycat and I don't think children need trigger warnings to protect their delicate souls. I do however hate the sledging and goading, that Saracens indulge in incessantly and think it is a blight on rugby union. That's why I was delighted that the penalty in the Wasps match was reversed. I wish refs would penalise such behaviour more frequently and stamp it out completely. I know well from my own playing days fadó, fadó, that words will be exchanged on a pitch in anger or merely to try and get a rise out the opposition. That goes with the territory and I don't have a problem with that. What really gets my goat though is this standing over guys on the ground after a collapsed scrum or maul, getting in their faces and belittling them for all to see. Such behaviour is extremely disrespectful to the opposing players and should not be allowed, IMO.
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

On another note, is this match actually going to happen with Covid? Should Saracens not be in Dublin now? If all came to all, could the match be played in Belfast? Not ideal, but they can travel there, and so can we.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I thought the ref singled out Billy as the reason for the reversal. I thought I heard the word slapping being used.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Caliphi wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:24 pm On another note, is this match actually going to happen with Covid? Should Saracens not be in Dublin now? If all came to all, could the match be played in Belfast? Not ideal, but they can travel there, and so can we.
A neat little summation of the position Northern Ireland can take in a post-Brexit (and post-transition period) world. Today's HC quarter final could be tomorrow's Apple HQ or Champions League Final.

But, no, I think it will be in Dublin. All of Ireland's squad from last night's loss to Finland have been in Bulgaria and the UK in the past 14 days, and all of Finland's had been in Finland (and some in other countries too). None of these countries are on the green list so there seems to be some sort of unwritten rule for professional sports people and Supreme Court judges.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:08 pmSo, no I'm not a pussycat a
I don't think you're a pussycat! Thats what was said in the so-called sledge. The Wasps player was on the ground complaining and someone says to him "cry me a river, what are you - a pussycat?". It's not exactly 'the wife is fine and the kids are retarded'.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:46 pm I thought the ref singled out Billy as the reason for the reversal. I thought I heard the word slapping being used.
Yep, the ref reversed the penalty because Billy "patted him on the head" and "goaded" him (the refs words)
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:02 pm
I don't think you're a pussycat! Thats what was said in the so-called sledge. The Wasps player was on the ground complaining and someone says to him "cry me a river, what are you - a pussycat?". It's not exactly 'the wife is fine and the kids are retarded'.
Yeah, that was a good one.
Another good one.
Australian catcher in the slips to overweight Zimbabwean batsman.
"Hey (can't remember name), how come you're so fat?"
Reply.
"Everytime I fcuk your wife she gives me a biscuit"

Ahh, the good ole days.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Yeah, that was a good one.
Another good one.
Australian catcher in the slips to overweight Zimbabwean batsman.
"Hey (can't remember name), how come you're so fat?"
Reply.
"Everytime I fcuk your wife she gives me a biscuit"

Ahh, the good ole days.
Yip. That's straight out of the "When a man loves a woman" manual alright, lol!!!

p.s. No worries, Dave!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:03 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:46 pm I thought the ref singled out Billy as the reason for the reversal. I thought I heard the word slapping being used.
Yep, the ref reversed the penalty because Billy "patted him on the head" and "goaded" him (the refs words)
that reminds me...I can't remember the game.....or ref...could have been nigel owens in an away HC game for munster against english opposition. Donncha O Callaghan did something similar to the player who infringed to give munster a penalty. DOC Patronisingly patted him on the head and said something with a huge grin. ref reversed the penalty and nipped that sort of niggle in the bud. proper order.

the in-your-face school-yard-bully stuff from saracens last year in newcastle was a few notches above that....screaming at the player at the bottom of a ruck or on the receiving end of a thundering tackle "did ya like that [insert player name]..did ya...you're focked mate". Wasn't at the Irl v Eng game in 2019 in dublin, when we got thumped, but a buddy who was there mentioned the same thing. they really went for johnny, that day, apparently.

the "how are you so fat?" stuff is, for me, a bit of craic...but screaming in the face of a prone, probably injured, player isn't on.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Reversing penalties or an extra 10 yards is a simple and very effective way to maintain standards of sportsmanship that rugby is lucky enough to have.

Do it early and you won’t have to do it often. Nigel Owens understanding of this was one of the reasons he was such a great.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Look, they're c**ts. They've been encouraged to be c**ts. Everybody knows that. They get handed opportunities not to be c**ts every time they play or even speak and instead, every time, they choose to be c**ts.

Way it is. Sarries and England are happy enough with it as it's a successful formula. But news it is not.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Yeah. It stuck in the throat that George started a brawl by attacking a team Dr and the Dr had to apologise.

Munster should have turned that around, they handled it really badly.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:33 am
cormac wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:29 am He'll get 3-4 weeks, down from the mid-range entry point of 6.
Apologies, I thought the mid-range point was four weeks - so I'd give him 5 weeks. I still think he may get the minimum though, it depends on the mood of chairman of the panel I guess, how much he dislikes Sarries, and how 'tuned-in' he is to the politics of the RFU

9.13 A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Low-end: 2 weeks

Mid-range: 6 weeks

Top-end: 10+ weeks

Max: 52 weeks

taken from: https://www.world.rugby/handbook/regula ... -1?lang=en
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm
cormac wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:29 am He'll get 3-4 weeks, down from the mid-range entry point of 6.
Apologies, I thought the mid-range point was four weeks - so I'd give him 5 weeks. I still think he may get the minimum though, it depends on the mood of chairman of the panel I guess, how much he dislikes Sarries, and how 'tuned-in' he is to the politics of the RFU

9.13 A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Thankee kindly
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I know we all think he has previous for this, but he doesn't. The inexplicable leniency he was shown before has that knock on effect. This is likely a mid range offence, I think, and he showed remorse, apologised on field and off, left the pitch accepting his card, appeared upset at doing it straight away, so there is no way he is not getting the best mitigation he can be offered. And legally this is absolutely correct and he would win an appeal in my opinion if his sentence was not reduced for these factors as they would be penalising the person rather than the offence.
So three weeks?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Don't suppose there's any chance we could bring in a back 3 player in time for the Euro run in?
Everyone else is doing/done it.
We are down Fads, K2, Byrne, and now maybe Larmour. Daly retired.

We'll be playing academy younfellas or centres the way things are going.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!