Ospreys Away, 21st of Feb

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ospreys Away, 21st of Feb

Post by mildlyinterested »

Assuming Deegan and Doris are unavailable due to Irish commitments it will be interesting to see who plays 8..
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Ospreys Away, 21st of Feb

Post by cormac »

Ruddock is probably the choice although it's a few seasons since he played there.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

This game is being played at The Gnoll in Neath rather than Liberty Stadium in Swansea. Given recent weather in Wales and the forecast for the week this could be an old-school game of winter rugby on a heavy pitch.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:This game is being played at The Gnoll in Neath rather than Liberty Stadium in Swansea. Given recent weather in Wales and the forecast for the week this could be an old-school game of winter rugby on a heavy pitch.
Could be a good chance for our props to improve on the Cheetahs game so.

The Ospreys were much improved against Ulster, Mike Ruddock must be having an impact. It wasn't a high quality game but they were well organised and had more grit about them.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruddock make sense.. I thought Josh Murphy at 8 maybe?

Played there recently for Leinster A.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What's the word on Conan?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:What's the word on Conan?
Lancaster said he'd probably be back for our trip to SA.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Conan pictured back in training today.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:Conan pictured back in training today.
Might take him a while to get up to speed as a foot injury makes it hard to do aerobic exercise. (Although they probably have some mad scientist way round that nowadays)
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

johng wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Conan pictured back in training today.
Might take him a while to get up to speed as a foot injury makes it hard to do aerobic exercise. (Although they probably have some mad scientist way round that nowadays)
Moonboot, crossed with non impact work for the legs (pool work etc)
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The 42 mentioned last week that it was his ankle that was injured. I'm guessing that was just an error but I did wonder if there was more to the injury than we heard at the time, hence there being a longer recovery period than they said initially.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Assuming we get a few back who aren't in Irish plans, I'd go for something like:

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Murphy, Connors, Ruddock, JGP, Frawley, Lowe, Tomane, JOB, DK, RK
Milne, Cronin, Aungier/Salanoa, Baird, Penny, McGrath, HB, Ferg
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

cormac wrote:This game is being played at The Gnoll in Neath rather than Liberty Stadium in Swansea. Given recent weather in Wales and the forecast for the week this could be an old-school game of winter rugby on a heavy pitch.
I'd be interested to know the reason for this location, Ruddock directive, cost of turning on the lights in the Liberty, bringing the Ospreys to the masses?

I've never been there but I suspect it will rival Rodney Parade as a bleak outpost in the Pro 14 fixture list; combine that with a weak scrum, abusive, lubed up valley commandos on a wet Friday night and our standing in the league, this may well be our first loss of the season.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

outcast eddie wrote:
I'd be interested to know the reason for this location, Ruddock directive, cost of turning on the lights in the Liberty, bringing the Ospreys to the masses?

I've never been there but I suspect it will rival Rodney Parade as a bleak outpost in the Pro 14 fixture list; combine that with a weak scrum, abusive, lubed up valley commandos on a wet Friday night and our standing in the league, this may well be our first loss of the season.
No conspiracy, it's just that Swansea City are at the Liberty the following day with not enough time to prepare the pitch.

It looks delightful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gnoll
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We've played there once before. On the 29th November 2003 the following team recorded a 36-25 win away against the Ospreys.

Dempsey; McWeeney, O'Driscoll, Quinlan, D'Arcy; Contepomi, O'Meara; Corrigan, Byrne, Coyle; O'Kelly, Gissing; Dillon, Gleeson, Costello.

Bench: Hickie, Molloy, Kearney, Breslin, O'Riordan, Warner, Brown

Tries: O'Driscoll x2, D'Arcy x2, McWeeney, Warner
Convs: O'Meara x3
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:Assuming we get a few back who aren't in Irish plans, I'd go for something like:

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Murphy, Connors, Ruddock, JGP, Frawley, Lowe, Tomane, JOB, DK, RK
There will be more rotation than that.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

outcast eddie wrote:

I've been to the Liberty Stadium (for this fixture in 2007) and it is already a "bleak outpost" of Swansea, which is hardly a sprawling metropolis...the idea that there is a bleaker, further outpost is at the same time amusing and depressing.

Interestingly, on the train from Bristol to that game I got talking to a man from Neath who is rugby-mad but said he would never go to an Ospreys match as the "region" was formed by merging the professional parts of the Swansea and Neath rugby clubs, who were - up to that point - sworn rivals. The Welsh made such a mess of creating their regions; a quick look at a map shows that about 90% of the country (land, not population) doesn't fall into one of the "regions".
Last edited by joooooe on February 19th, 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Assuming we get a few back who aren't in Irish plans, I'd go for something like:

This is going to be a tough game. Nobody wants to, or has ever wanted to, play at the Gnoll.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

joooooe wrote:
Interestingly, on the train from Bristol to that game I got talking to a man from Neath who is rugby-mad but said he would never go to an Ospreys match as the "region" was formed by merging the professional parts of the Swansea and Neath rugby clubs, who were - up to that point - sworn rivals.
There is an apocyrphal tale/joke about the Neath father who would bring his children up into the hills so they could watch the Germans bomb Swansea
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

This is going to be a tough game. Nobody wants to, or has ever wanted to, play at the Gnoll.
I don't doubt it but still think there'll be more rotation than that.