Pro14 season suspended

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro14 season suspended

Post by blockhead »

Bit of an odd early call, if true?
Lots of other options availabe if a window opened near the end of the season. Are Prem and Top14 going to make the same call so soon? Doubt it.
Would it be pressure from Unions to free up time for their precious tours?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Seems logical.

Only way I can see any of the seasons finishing is if they go straight to play offs in June / July.

There will be no summer tours either so that is the only window I think they could use.

Anyway name the only team to go through a season undefeated in League and Europe in one season
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The silver lining is it will give players an opportunity to rest both mentally and physically for a few months. They can heal those niggly injuries and just give their body a break.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

dropkick wrote:The silver lining is it will give players an opportunity to rest both mentally and physically for a few months. They can heal those niggly injuries and just give their body a break.
True, but if any of them were hoping for an opportunity to get surgery to fix those niggles that's probably out of the window for a while.
Anyone But New Zealand
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

blockhead wrote:Bit of an odd early call, if true?
Lots of other options availabe if a window opened near the end of the season. Are Prem and Top14 going to make the same call so soon? Doubt it.
Would it be pressure from Unions to free up time for their precious tours?
The Prem is centered in one country the Pro 14 spans both hemispheres, a significant factor in the current travel climate.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

At least next time leinster have a game, dan leavy should be playing!!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Welsh union expecting rugby to return in 'months rather than weeks'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 56646.html
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

As someone who lives in China and is in the middle of it. I am telling you your looking at 8-12 weeks minimum before stuff gets back to normal.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

sunshiner1 wrote:As someone who lives in China and is in the middle of it. I am telling you your looking at 8-12 weeks minimum before stuff gets back to normal.
Glad to here you're coming out the other side SS1. If its 8-12 weeks, well so be it. At least it's some sort of target. It's the uncertainty that's a killer.

Edit: I'm talking about life in general btw, not just rugby :D
DaveMr
Beginner

Post by DaveMr »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

DaveMr wrote:Pro 14 Final has been cancelled..
https://comms.pro14rugby.org/5GVN-6FI8- ... F3/cr.aspx
Not quite.
The suspension of the 2019/20 season of the Guinness PRO14 is now on an indefinite basis due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The board of Celtic Rugby DAC met by teleconference this week and agreed upon a strict list of criteria that would enable the Championship to recommence. However, no decision on a definitive re-commencement date can be made until four key criteria can be met within our respective competing territories:

Public Health Authorities cease to prohibit the resumption of sport and group training
Travel restrictions between our territories are lifted
No forced isolation or quarantine orders are in force when visiting our territories
Player welfare is safeguarded, including requirement for a suitable pre-recommencement training period, to be established in conjunction with the high-performance personnel at our participating unions and teams

Due to the evolving situation, unfortunately the board had to take the further decision to cancel the Guinness PRO14 Final at Cardiff City Stadium, set to take place on June 20. Refunds will be made automatically to all who have already purchased tickets.

Full information on refunds will be available on https://www.pro14.rugby/final in the next 24 hours.

Proposals regarding how to restart the season will be reviewed in the near future. PRO14 Rugby is working with key stakeholders to carefully examine several proposals that can be implemented and delivered in order to close out the season – albeit at a later date.

Should any final be played as part of the 2019/20 season, it will be hosted by the team with highest ranking based upon league records from this campaign.

When positive indicators on the criteria listed above PRO14 Rugby will provide another update.

Everyone across the Guinness PRO14 would urge fans and everyone involved in the sport of rugby to heed the directions from their local health authorities regarding the COVID-19 outbreak and play their part in staying
Could just be Leinster v Edinburgh in the RDS.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
DaveMr
Beginner

Post by DaveMr »

Sorry meant to say the final in cardiff..
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There is no chance at all of the European Cup or Pro14 being completed. The biggest barrier to that is both are cross border competitions. The Covid situation is getting worse. It isn't close to peaking and some places (Italy) are currently much worse off (but that can change). Travel restrictions will get tighter. SA is looking at its entry requirements for people from the UK. We should do the same. Right now, there is no chance the 2 Italian teams finish their seasons.

There might come a point in time when the organisers say the current positions are final but.....maybe.....the top team in each conference play a winner takes all one off final. It would be easier if the 2 teams were from the same country but now it is Leinster v Edinburgh. We have absolutely no idea how severe it'll be in Ireland, or Scotland, one month from now. But it will be very bad. The UK will very soon see quadruple digit increases per day for weeks. Like in Italy and what's beginning to happen in France, Spain, Germany and Switzerland. Once it peaks, it'll take another 2-3 months for it to largely move away.

This is simply my estimation. I could be very wrong. I can't see how we finish the leagues and Cups that are cross border. England and France might have some chance later on but it is just a chance. My fear is we are not guaranteed to even see the new season start in August.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I reckon we'll be lucky if a new rugby season even starts in September. Many things are still not known about Covid-19. There is as yet not clarity as to how long a infected person remains contagious. I can't see any contact sports being allowed until either herd immunity has been achieved or there's a vaccine or both. Think scrums, particularly the front row.......
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

riocard911 wrote:I reckon we'll be lucky if a new rugby season even starts in September. Many things are still not known about Covid-19. There is as yet not clarity as to how long a infected person remains contagious. I can't see any contact sports being allowed until either herd immunity has been achieved or there's a vaccine or both. Think scrums, particularly the front row.......
I agree.
And where does that leave ST renewals? Cant imagine a large number jumping in to buy for next season.
The French are predictably unpredictable
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

When this is all over, we simply have to change the way he play rugby in Europe. Being part of a league made of so many different jurisdictions is likely to cause problems again in the future. Maybe not as severe at this but issues will arise. We should also be thinking about our planet having 2 teams in the other hemisphere flying up and down for games.

If we see no more rugby this calendar year (my belief) clubs will go of business in every league. Our future, to me, seems to be in a British league. No more Italians, no more South Africans.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think that would be the end of European competitions
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Season Ticket sales officially postponed

The Leinster Offices to close from Today until further notice
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

suisse wrote:When this is all over, we simply have to change the way he play rugby in Europe. Being part of a league made of so many different jurisdictions is likely to cause problems again in the future. Maybe not as severe at this but issues will arise. We should also be thinking about our planet having 2 teams in the other hemisphere flying up and down for games.

If we see no more rugby this calendar year (my belief) clubs will go of business in every league. Our future, to me, seems to be in a British league. No more Italians, no more South Africans.
Having a more limited territory would have make no difference in a pandemic. Economically, a broader market reach makes more money. Also we shouldn't forget that we have a direct interest in European rugby as our income from rugby comes from the 6 nations and the champions cup (to a lesser extent). Throwing the Italians under a bus and shutting out the French is crazy. I'd also say that as a fan of the game of rugby that it's the wrong thing to do. One of the things that separates Leinster as a club is that we're not just all about the money.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Flash Gordon wrote:
suisse wrote:When this is all over, we simply have to change the way he play rugby in Europe. Being part of a league made of so many different jurisdictions is likely to cause problems again in the future. Maybe not as severe at this but issues will arise. We should also be thinking about our planet having 2 teams in the other hemisphere flying up and down for games.

Having a more limited territory would have make no difference in a pandemic. Economically, a broader market reach makes more money. Also we shouldn't forget that we have a direct interest in European rugby as our income from rugby comes from the 6 nations and the champions cup (to a lesser extent). Throwing the Italians under a bus and shutting out the French is crazy. I'd also say that as a fan of the game of rugby that it's the wrong thing to do. One of the things that separates Leinster as a club is that we're not just all about the money.
I agree wholeheartedly.

The good news this morning is that in Germany the experts are reporting a levelling off of the rate of infection - thanks to social distancing - and hope the peak will be reached in about two weeks.

The bad news is that the return of professional sport events looks a long way off - maybe more than a year. See:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... o-olympics

The article deals mainly with the gloomy prospects for the English soccer Prem and the Olympics. The most pertinent point made applies also to our beloved rugby: there is little to no chance of competitions taking place even behind closed doors, as long as infection between players and staff can not be prevented.