Pro14 season suspended

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pro14 season suspended

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:Maybe come up with some new trophy like a league leaders shield or something, but being just awarded the title would be a bit meaningless, for me.
We should really have a 'minor premiership' type trophy anyways, based on final, integrated, league positions
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Maybe come up with some new trophy like a league leaders shield or something, but being just awarded the title would be a bit meaningless, for me.
We should really have a 'minor premiership' type trophy anyways, based on final, integrated, league positions

rugby league has a league shield for the winner of the league then the big one is handed out at the end of the grand final

At the end of the day any side can only win 3 trophys (league , grand final and European trophy) so I'd certainly count topping your league at the end of a domestic season worth a trophy of sorts
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Code: Select all

Fergal Bowers
@FergalBowers
·
8m
French rugby authorities and club presidents have reached an agreement to cancel the current domestic season due to the coronavirus pandemic and concentrate on ensuring the 2020-2021 campaign starts in September.
No idea where to put this but doesn't bode well for the P14.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Dave Cahill wrote:It's an option, but it can't work in isolation as the teams won't have any competition income for an entire year Some sort of local competition perhaps over what remains of 2020 - an Irish Interpro series played home and away (which would also take care of the problem of players being unavailable due to refixed international games) with a final in the Aviva and a Welsh-Scots series on similar lines
They may not have a choice whether they play again this year. As I said in my post above, professional rugby isn't financially viable without a paying crowd, preferably one that also buys programmes, pints and replica kits. It costs more to host a game than the revenue that would be achieved without paying customers. If a behind-closed-doors policy is enforced I don't think we'll see much pro rugby at all for much of the rest of the year. It's not nice to hear that.

If that is the case and we're only getting back under way towards the end of this year, why not just play out the rest of the season? If it means we start in October and finish in February, then great - there's suddenly a big window until the summer to play lucrative internationals and inter-pros. If it takes until February or March before any play can resume then just stick to the current timetable.

Re the French league being cancelled to start again, I suspect that has a lot to do with media contracts and insurance. If they had insisted on playing out this season they could be sued by broadcasters for not providing contracted content. If they cancel the season due to an insurable "act of God" then the media contract with the broadcaster is terminated based on Force Majeure (all presumed, btw, I have no insight on this). The reason this is relevant for Pro14 is that Martin Anayi was doing the media rounds the past few weeks saying that he was more confident than ever that this season would be concluded - he wouldn't be saying that if the Pro14 contracts had that "get out" option.

I'm trying to connect the dots and best guess is that they will play out the season when they can.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think the word 'isolation' was the wrong one to use as it means something else these days! I mean, it can't work on its own - it needs something else along with it. Apologies for the confusion
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

paddyor wrote:

Code: Select all

Fergal Bowers
@FergalBowers
·
8m
French rugby authorities and club presidents have reached an agreement to cancel the current domestic season due to the coronavirus pandemic and concentrate on ensuring the 2020-2021 campaign starts in September.
No idea where to put this but doesn't bode well for the P14.
Not necessarily bad. The abandonment of the 2019-20 Top 14 season might mean that the play-off rounds of the European Cup can be played in September/October, with say a one-off final for the Top 14 2019-20 title being played between Bordeaux and Lyon on the same weekend as the European Cup quarter-finals (behind closed doors, if necessary).

If any French teams make it to the semi-final/final of the European Cup, they could reschedule the resulting missed game or two from the 2020-21 Top 14 season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

JB1973 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

rugby league has a league shield for the winner of the league then the big one is handed out at the end of the grand final

At the end of the day any side can only win 3 trophys (league , grand final and European trophy) so I'd certainly count topping your league at the end of a domestic season worth a trophy of sorts
Good idea
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the mail reporting pro 14 to be called off with leinster to get title.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I still think the best (aka least bad) option is to combine this season and next. Have 2019-21 season. Whatever games haven't played are null and void.

Alternatively, award Leinster the title. I get the point that winners are decided by the playoffs system but when you have a team that's been utterly dominant they deserve a reward. Be different if the leaders of each conference had a similar record this year. Playing a random one or two off game months after any other games to decide the title just seems too much like pot luck.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Playoffs are bullshit for a league anyway, potentially any of the top 6 teams beating a team who went the year unbeaten in a one off match and then being crowned winners?. It’s really just trading sporting integrity for a pay day to sell tickets to the finals.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Playoffs are bullshit for a league anyway, potentially any of the top 6 teams beating a team who went the year unbeaten in a one off match and then being crowned winners?. It’s really just trading sporting integrity for a pay day to sell tickets to the finals.
couldn't agree more johnny.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Yes. Some will say "Well them's the rules" but it's still stupid for a league imho.
Dont Panic!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

From the pov of sporting integrity, I agree, but there were a couple of seasons before they brought in playoffs where nobody had anything to play for for the last couple of weeks. A lot of dead rubbers. With top 3 of 7 qualifying for playoffs and a further Euro playoff place to play for it ensures a lot more competitive matches at this time of year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Things are not looking good for professional rugby. From Gerard Meaghar in today's Grauniad:

Six Nations could be forced behind closed doors following World Rugby guidelines

Games to be played without large crowds until vaccine available
Document casts doubt on completion of Premiership season

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... cine-found
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Wasn't really sure were to put this but thought its worth a look so suppose here's as good as anywhere

https://twitter.com/i/status/1257619335847251968
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Merkel and the 16 Länderchefs are having a videoconference today - May 6th - to discuss ongoing easing of the anti-covid-19 rules in Germany. According to all reports in the German press they are expected to - among other things - give a green light for the resumption of the Bundesliga on the 15th or 21th of May in the form of Geisterspiele/ghost games i.e. behind closed doors. Permission is conditional on strict hygiene and quarantine measures being taken and maintained by all squads, security and media personnel. And as we know, the Pro 14 is in contact with the Bundesliga and taking advice from them. Light at the end of the tunnel?....
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Don't rule out us getting that fifth star this season yet!!!

Courtesy of Murray Kinsella and the42.ie:

How many people to deliver a game of rugby? World Rugby reckons 167

The governing body has published a list of the minimum number of stakeholders required.

https://www.the42.ie/world-rugby-167-pe ... 2-May2020/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fascinating interview by Gervais in today's IT with World Rugby's head quack re Covid-19:

Dr Éanna Falvey: I would be very surprised if competitive rugby isn't played this year

World Rugby’s chief medical officer on what it will take to get the sport back on track

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4246781
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

the proposed pro14 resumption and completion of the season for august/sept looks nuts to me, lads.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52591345
decamp the pro14 teams to ireland
play behind closed doors
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I wonder how they plan to play the ‘inter pro’ games in Wales when the stadiums have been turned into hospitals
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever