Classic Matches

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

northsider
Knowledgeable

Classic Matches

Post by northsider »

Anyone have copies of/links to classic Leinster games to rewatch now that we won't be see live rugby for quite a while?
Can I play the piano anymore?
Of course you can.
Well i couldn't before!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Classic Matches

Post by JB1973 »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Rugbylist has a new VIP section.
Last night I watched the 2009 semi in Croker, brilliant.
Feckin great website! :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Still makes my blood boil watching those little snippets of Poite’s performance that day.
We’ve had some shockingly biased reffing from Munster branch refs over the years, particularly Fitzgibbon and Clancy.
But I think Poite’s reffing of the scrum that day was the worst I’ve ever seen. His cluelessness was not helped by having Clancy in his ear.
Fair play to Jones and Ospreys for taking full advantage (getting away with it) but Jones should have been binned twice for dropping the scrum.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

That said, we could have two yellow cards for high tackles. Sexton’s possibly even a red.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Good idea, I've a few old games I'll upload when time permits

The last Celtic League match before Leinster played Munster in Lansdowne Road in the 2006 HEC semi was a visit by Llanelli Scarlets. There was a real hunt for tickets for the semi, and when Leinster sold tickets to the semi from a kiosk at this game it caused outrage from the 'couldn't be arsed with the celtic league' crowd. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Y-6X9rn6U
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:Rugbylist has a new VIP section.
It is to be sure and for me a large part of the year in Germany a life-saver. Saw something about the VIP section, but how do I get in?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

riocard911 wrote:
It is to be sure and for me a large part of the year in Germany a life-saver. Saw something about the VIP section, but how do I get in?
I requested VIP access in their twitteresque chatroom thingy in the bottom right hand side of the screen. Apologies for the overly technical support description.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

curates_egg wrote:
Still makes my blood boil watching those little snippets of Poite’s performance that day.
We’ve had some shockingly biased reffing from Munster branch refs over the years, particularly Fitzgibbon and Clancy.
But I think Poite’s reffing of the scrum that day was the worst I’ve ever seen. His cluelessness was not helped by having Clancy in his ear.
Fair play to Jones and Ospreys for taking full advantage (getting away with it) but Jones should have been binned twice for dropping the scrum.
Just looking at the final play of that game and there’s a very clear knock-on before he kicks it out! His own teammate knocks it out of his hand
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Twist wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Just looking at the final play of that game and there’s a very clear knock-on before he kicks it out! His own teammate knocks it out of his hand
agree. a clear knock on but in fairness that touchline convo a few minutes before that was excellent.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I still have the match day programme
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

John23 wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
I requested VIP access in their twitteresque chatroom thingy in the bottom right hand side of the screen. Apologies for the overly technical support description.
Just done same. GRMA, R
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A week after 'Black Sunday', Leinster returned to Lansdowne Road to take on the Ospreys in the Celtic League. After a week of commentary where everything from their ability to their manhood was questioned, it must have been a relief to get back on the pitch for the Leinster players. After the match Leinster had arranged for a supporters night in the Lansdowne RFC clubhouse where Michael Cheika addressed the supporters and gave a really inspirational speech that kept us going.

The Girve the Swerve t-shirts were on sale and after the match I couldn't find the money we'd taken in - forgetting I'd handed it over to Flash Gordon who only let me suffer for a few minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji4c50S9FPk
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Id forgotten how nice that white jersey was in 2006
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fair play to the Pro 14. They've put a bunch of matches from 2019/20 and 2018/19 up on the website for free viewing:

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/in ... ro14-rugby

And no, it's not an April's Fool Day trick......
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Leinster Rugby narrowcast the Wasps 2017 Heino quarter final in the Aviva on their YouTube channel and on Facebook yesterday, Saturday, evening at 17.45 Irish time. I imagine it's the first of series to keep us going until professional rugby is up and running again. If you follow the club on YouTube, FB or Twitter - as I do - you should get notified in time for any further such matches.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote:Leinster Rugby narrowcast the Wasps 2017 Heino quarter final in the Aviva on their YouTube channel and on Facebook yesterday, Saturday, evening at 17.45 Irish time. I imagine it's the first of series to keep us going until professional rugby is up and running again. If you follow the club on YouTube, FB or Twitter - as I do - you should get notified in time for any further such matches.
Also available on youtube for later viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYD6jtVJGs
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The almost forgotten All-Ireland Heino knockout game. Munster at home to Ulster in a Heineken Cup QF at Thomond Park in 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLSNC8-K4tw

2006 and 2009 are celebrated games, probably because the winners subsequently went on to claim their first star. But this game was, at the time, a massive showdown.
Munster having watched Leinster equal their acheivements in 2011, had aspirations to reclaim the top dog tag in Ireland while Ulster had notions of winning their own 2nd star.
Ferris wrapped up in sticky tape reminded everyone why he was still a brilliant player. Ulster scored the first 16 points of the game from their own half with Gilroy scoring a classic try.
Munster had won all 6 games in the group phase and went into this game as No.1 seeds in Europe (a fact lots of their fans hooted loudly about at the time IIRC).
Ulster went on to beat Edinburgh in the Aviva SF before suffering a record defeat in Twickenham.

Anyway, enjoy.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!