https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/04/14/201 ... up-rewind/
Anyone But New Zealand
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Classic Matches

Post by JB1973 »

Twist wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Still makes my blood boil watching those little snippets of Poite’s performance that day.
We’ve had some shockingly biased reffing from Munster branch refs over the years, particularly Fitzgibbon and Clancy.
But I think Poite’s reffing of the scrum that day was the worst I’ve ever seen. His cluelessness was not helped by having Clancy in his ear.
Fair play to Jones and Ospreys for taking full advantage (getting away with it) but Jones should have been binned twice for dropping the scrum.
Just looking at the final play of that game and there’s a very clear knock-on before he kicks it out! His own teammate knocks it out of his hand
No knock on well played the ref :) :clap:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Pro14 are streaming last years final vs Glasgow this evening: https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/re ... ok-youtube
Anyone But New Zealand
ARCD
Learner

Post by ARCD »

2011 Semi Final v Toulouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7IfT2675rQ&t=128s

I feel like it's often forgotten because of the nature of the final, but for me this was a better game. 2 top class teams giving it absolutely everything for the full 80, and the result always in doubt up until the final whistle
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ARCD wrote:2011 Semi Final v Toulouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7IfT2675rQ&t=128s

I feel like it's often forgotten because of the nature of the final, but for me this was a better game. 2 top class teams giving it absolutely everything for the full 80, and the result always in doubt up until the final whistle
Yeah that was a great game. I remember watching Munster v Harlequins beforehand in the Beggars Bush. Gloriously sunny day.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote:Pro14 are streaming last years final vs Glasgow this evening: https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/re ... ok-youtube
On youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEn3I9qWhXQ
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

2001 Celtic League Final is on TG4 from 7:15pm this evening (Apr 18th).
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:2001 Celtic League Final is on TG4 from 7:15pm this evening (Apr 18th).
What a great contest that was and, unless TG4 have discovered a way to accelerate the video speed, what speed the game was played at despite the amount of kicking by Spooner and RO'G. Very surprised to see just how good Shaggy was in the centre and he deserved the MOTM. Also delighted to see just how much niggle was displayed by both teams and how passionately they went at each other. Never quite figured out how Derek Hegarty arrived on as a substitute for Munster and a couple of other variations. Finally, surprised to see Whitehouse Snr as Referee in a high profile game of this status but he handled it well.

Really enjoyed this bit of real rugby and looking forward to the next one
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Shane Horgan was absolutely brilliant that day. Costello as well - he dominated Jim Williams, Quinlan and and Foley in the collisions.

Defences were slower off the mark and less organised in those days, which made for a better spectacle as attacking teams had more time, especially off first phase from set-pieces. The standard of passing was also probably higher than in today's game. Also interesting to see that both teams kicked more often than would be the case today, both in terms of kicking for territory and opting for a shot at three points from attacking penalties.

Lastly, the jerseys were absolutely gorgeous..
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
cormac wrote:2001 Celtic League Final is on TG4 from 7:15pm this evening (Apr 18th).
What a great contest that was and, unless TG4 have discovered a way to accelerate the video speed, what speed the game was played at despite the amount of kicking by Spooner and RO'G. Very surprised to see just how good Shaggy was in the centre and he deserved the MOTM. Also delighted to see just how much niggle was displayed by both teams and how passionately they went at each other. Never quite figured out how Derek Hegarty arrived on as a substitute for Munster and a couple of other variations. Finally, surprised to see Whitehouse Snr as Referee in a high profile game of this status but he handled it well.

Really enjoyed this bit of real rugby and looking forward to the next one
why was darcy on the wing and horgan at centre?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

At the time, Darce was a wing/full back and Horgan a centre. It wasn't until 03-04 that Darce made the switch and Horgan went the other way the following season
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I didn't think a match from 19 years ago could get my blood boiling but it has.

After about two and a half minutes Clohessy flew into a ruck and kneed Mal in the head. It was 100% deliberate and completely unprovoked and unnecessary. Honestly one of the worst things I've ever seen on a pitch but I think he got away with it? Then about a minute later he stamped on Eric Miller who kicked him up the arse. It must have tired him out because he did f%~k all else for the rest of the game.

I know it was a different time and there were loads of incidents (high tackles, high clearouts, Miller's kick, Quinlan grabbed BOD around the neck) but even looking at it through that lens the knee to the head stands out as being a disgrace.

I think this was my second Leinster game and my first non school's match at LR. Great match and great memories but thank christ the game has come on so much since then. One thing I do really miss is how much easier (in terms of the laws) it was to get over the ball.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Always makes me laugh watching the older games and tallying up how many red /yellow cards there would be under the current laws

This game was full of rough stuff even for back then!, good game though some cracking trys
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I didn't think a match from 19 years ago could get my blood boiling but it has.

After about two and a half minutes Clohessy flew into a ruck and kneed Mal in the head. It was 100% deliberate and completely unprovoked and unnecessary. Honestly one of the worst things I've ever seen on a pitch but I think he got away with it? Then about a minute later he stamped on Eric Miller who kicked him up the arse. It must have tired him out because he did f%~k all else for the rest of the game.

I know it was a different time and there were loads of incidents (high tackles, high clearouts, Miller's kick, Quinlan grabbed BOD around the neck) but even looking at it through that lens the knee to the head stands out as being a disgrace.

I think this was my second Leinster game and my first non school's match at LR. Great match and great memories but thank christ the game has come on so much since then. One thing I do really miss is how much easier (in terms of the laws) it was to get over the ball.
In four separate incidents Munster players punched/clotheslined/kneed Leinster players, and none got punished. And Miller got (rightly) sent off for one quite soft kick.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

JB1973 wrote:Always makes me laugh watching the older games and tallying up how many red /yellow cards there would be under the current laws

This game was full of rough stuff even for back then!, good game though some cracking trys
Trevor Brennan for Toulouse v Leinster in 2006 was definitely eye-opening in his seen and unseen work here!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leo was handsome back in 2001.
Had to wait 7 seasons for our 2nd title. 9 more since then.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

And a challenge cup. And 5 losing finals.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

WATCH: Leinster v Scarlets - 2017/18 Champions Cup

We'll be streaming ‘as-live' the 2018 Champions Cup semi-final win over Scarlets at Aviva Stadium on the Leinster Rugby Facebook page and YouTube channel, Saturday, April 25, from 3.30pm.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/04/25/sun ... -bt-sport/

Showing 2006 v Toulouse and 2009 v Munster tomorrow