Leinster Rugby Cancels Season Tickets for 2020-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Leinster Rugby Cancels Season Tickets for 2020-21

Post by outcast eddie »

Sorry to see this:

Leinster Rugby season tickets sale for season 2020/21 to be cancelled.
Current season ticket holders will retain the right to purchase their current seat through to season 2021/22.
Current season ticket holders to receive credit for the three remaining games of the 2019/20 season on pro rata basis.
Supporters who bought single match tickets to any of the Saracens, Munster Rugby, Zebre or Cardiff Blues games will be refunded automatically.
Leinster Rugby to launch Official Membership offering for current season ticket holders for 2020/21 on Monday 8th June.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster Rugby Cancels Season Tickets for 2020-21

Post by The Doc »

outcast eddie wrote: Current season ticket holders will retain the right to purchase their current seat through to season 2021/22.
Wasn't sure what this meant
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

The Doc wrote:
outcast eddie wrote: Current season ticket holders will retain the right to purchase their current seat through to season 2021/22.
Wasn't sure what this meant
D'oh - for the year after next. I didn't read it properly
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Seems like fair policy for fans.

Season tickets are messy for the upcoming season given the issues with delivery of matches.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Seems like a sensible approach
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

"Leinster Rugby confirmed that the new Official Membership will launch on Monday, 8th June with the initial offer open exclusively to current season ticket holders only."

I assume there'll be a charge for this? Hopefully we can draw down some of the refund money against it
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

This makes sense too much unkowns to be asking people to enter a STH agreement.

The only pity is that we're not further along in the RDS development plan, as this would be the perfect time to commence work on the Stadium. Any 20/21 games that do eventually have supporters permitted could be accommodated in the Aviva for best chance of social distancing.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting! :shock:

"I would also like to invite season ticket holders to a virtual meeting with Leo Cullen and myself, where we will try to answer as many of your questions as possible and the team in head office will be in touch with a date and how to register for the meeting and how to submit your questions in advance.

Until then, continue to stay safe, to follow the guidelines and I look forward to speaking to you all in the coming weeks.

Yours,
Mick"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Well done, Mick Dawson, Leo et al. Keep nourishing the bond between club professionals and supporters and we might come out of this crisis even stronger. Upwards and onwards!!!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hats off to Leinster Rugby and Mick Dawson. They are going above and beyond the call of duty here.

The partial refund on the season tickets is a very generous gesture - I had it written off. Fully understand the decision and support the decision to refund the one off tickets as that is very straightforward but from talking to other STH's I don't think anyone was expecting a refund or even wanted it on the season tickets.

Will certainly be taking out the membership and fair play to Leinster and Dawson. All sensible and perfectly thought out. Fair play to all.

Onwards and upwards.

One day soon enough I will walk back into the RDS on a autumn evening with the floodlights gleaming as the last light dips out of the sky, with the smell of food and excitement and the familiar faces as we watch our heroes cycle through their warm ups with a pint or coffee in hand as we enter for the south stand and walk past the excited junior clubs all full of excitement and the energy of youth. I will climb the steps into the rear of the south stand past the same old faces wrapped up warm and then take my seat behind the posts up in the Gods. Happy out and proud to just be there. Allez Les Blues.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I was wondering what might happen with regards to the season tickets with Munster, and it is likely to follow the same path as Leinster.

I think many supporters would gladly right off the money spent on a season ticket for this season, for the greater good.
I was thinking that giving everyone the option of a refund or a signed jersey would be a good idea.

Given that jersey sales have likely stalled, the clubs may be left with a big surplus.

Leinster have 12,800 season ticket holders, I’m not sure what the average refund would be, but if it’s €100 that means that Leinster will pay out €1,280,000.
That is a big chunk of change. Especially when you consider that the provinces are also losing out on all of the other match day revenues.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

We'll receive credit for the unplayed matches on the season tickets which does't mean a refund. One off tickets to be refunded. Still a reasonable offer by Leinster though. Leading the way as usual. I'd certainly buy a signed jersey for the cause if they go down that road.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Blueberry wrote:Hats off to Leinster Rugby and Mick Dawson. They are going above and beyond the call of duty here.

The partial refund on the season tickets is a very generous gesture - I had it written off. Fully understand the decision and support the decision to refund the one off tickets as that is very straightforward but from talking to other STH's I don't think anyone was expecting a refund or even wanted it on the season tickets.
I'd still be prepared to write it off - I wonder if there will be an option to?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

deco wrote:We'll receive credit for the unplayed matches on the season tickets which does't mean a refund. One off tickets to be refunded. Still a reasonable offer by Leinster though. Leading the way as usual. I'd certainly buy a signed jersey for the cause if they go down that road.
That just means that they are kicking the can down the road, and in 2021 they will be minus this money.

This is in no way a slight at Leinster btw, what they are doing is smart. It is important for all businesses to retain cash and liquidity right now, as who knows how long this will last, or how many aborted starts the season will have due to new spikes in the virus.

I was just looking at it purely from a personal point of view.
I would happily forego a refund permanently, and I suspect most fans would be the same.
On a selfish level, I seen it as an opportunity to get more signed merchandise.

Perhaps the fans could put it to the clubs that there should be an opt out option for a refund.
Put in context 1.3m is probably more than the running cost of an academy for a couple of years, it’s the equivalent 3 top signings or 7 or 8 contracts to squad players.

Again, I do not know what this deferred payment is worth, just put a figure on it for context.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

locho wrote:This makes sense too much unkowns to be asking people to enter a STH agreement.

The only pity is that we're not further along in the RDS development plan, as this would be the perfect time to commence work on the Stadium. Any 20/21 games that do eventually have supporters permitted could be accommodated in the Aviva for best chance of social distancing.
Normally, yes, with a suspension of all playing and training activities this would be "the perfect time" to commence renovation work at the RDS. Unfortunately Covid-19 and the ongoing uncertainty re vaccines, risk of reinfection, how long social distancing measures will have to be observed etc. make all previous building plans and architectural designs moot.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

I actually quite like this membership idea in general and hope they build on it. It would be a good way to streamline the sale of European and international tickets while giving provincial season ticket holders and club members priority.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Doc wrote:
Blueberry wrote:Hats off to Leinster Rugby and Mick Dawson. They are going above and beyond the call of duty here.

I'd still be prepared to write it off - I wonder if there will be an option to?
+1
Wasn't expecting anything to be credited on this years ST's so that's a generous gesture.
Dont Panic!
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

It’s probably the best & most sensible proposal they could make.

Also agree that this would have been a great time to consider the stadium redevelopment, particularly as there is no Horse Show this year, but with no idea of the level expected income over the immediate future, or the time frame before things revert to normal, you can understand why a costly development wouldn’t exactly be at the top of the agenda.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Workhorse wrote:I actually quite like this membership idea in general and hope they build on it. It would be a good way to streamline the sale of European and international tickets while giving provincial season ticket holders and club members priority.
As far as I know, they've always had a membership where you paid a small amount to get your card and scarf but didnt get any tickets. You would be included in pre public sales etc. And raffles for 6 nations.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

heno wrote:
Workhorse wrote:I actually quite like this membership idea in general and hope they build on it. It would be a good way to streamline the sale of European and international tickets while giving provincial season ticket holders and club members priority.
As far as I know, they've always had a membership where you paid a small amount to get your card and scarf but didnt get any tickets. You would be included in pre public sales etc. And raffles for 6 nations.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Blues Membership it's called. My father in law in Tullow gets it every year, he loves it. Means he can get tickets to the games he can make it to, gets all the emails and, of course, the scarf!
I have Bumbleflex